Rialto Theatre Remodel

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2018, 10:16 AM
Gold member
Default Rialto Theatre Remodel

Heard that the Rialto Theatre was going to be renovated to add a restaurant and add reclining sears. Hopefully they will combine some of the theatres to allow larger screens
Old 08-18-2018, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Heard that the Rialto Theatre was going to be renovated to add a restaurant and add reclining sears. Hopefully they will combine some of the theatres to allow larger screens
They have some of these fancy theaters in the DC area. They are quite a bit more expensive than the regular movie theaters in that area. These are already pricey.

I wonder where they will find the room? Back parking lot??
Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

A remodel of Rialto is good news. Well overdue in my opinion.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

JGVillages....where did you hear this news about the Rialto?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:52 PM
Sage

We heard this a few weeks ago from an usher at the theater at LSL. I thought August (it's not done yet) was the projected month for the remodel but apparently not...since movies are still being shown. IF they're making a restaurant where you can watch and eat....we had one in a small midwestern town. It was nice to catch supper and view the movie while you ate. It had tables and chairs----nothing fancy---not sure how it's done in other cities.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

All of our local movie theaters in NJ had converted to recliner seating before we moved permanently to The Villages. Every Tuesday, movies were $5.00 all day long in the theater closest to our home which was about 2 miles away. The recliner seating is wonderful. I really hope the Rialto is going to be renovated. Agree with the person up thread who said hoping they combine a couple of the small theaters to make one large theater with a large screen.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
JGVillages....where did you hear this news about the Rialto?
Usher from Old Mill
Old 08-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
They have some of these fancy theaters in the DC area. They are quite a bit more expensive than the regular movie theaters in that area. These are already pricey.

I wonder where they will find the room? Back parking lot??
We have those "fancy" theaters here. AMC has all of those features and they are cheaper than TV.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Veteran member

Good news, rialto is a dump
Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Sage

Many years ago, my son and I went to see "Unforgiven" with Clint Eastwood in a theater in Manhattan. One person brought in a pasta dinner.

My son remarked, this is the true meaning of a spaghetti western.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-21-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
Good news, rialto is a dump
I’d say that’s a huge exaggeration.

The theater is clean and well maintained and the staff is friendly. Sure it was built before this new era of luxury theaters but it is FAR from being a dump.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
I’d say that’s a huge exaggeration.

The theater is clean and well maintained and the staff is friendly. Sure it was built before this new era of luxury theaters but it is FAR from being a dump.
You are 100 percent correct. Thank you. Very refreshing on this site.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
...Sure it was built before this new era of luxury theaters but it is FAR from being a dump.
The new era of luxury theaters are not really what I pine for. I remember seeing the Godfather in 1974 in Savannah at a theater that was huge, well over a 1,000 seats and this was in the suburbs. They had 3 theaters and we thought that was a lot of choices.

I can remember seeing the first Alien in 1979 at a theater in Denver. It was a huge place downtown with hundreds of seats and it had sensorama, when the space ship came across the screen our seats rumbled. It was just a single screen.

Growing up in St. Petersburg I had the fortune of going to The Florida Theater. It was beautiful inside with lighted statues, fancy rugs and marble floors and three balconies with a concession stand on each floor. In the 60's it was 35 cents for children and then $1.25 for adults. In the summer on Saturday mornings for 6 RC bottle caps and 35 cents there would be about 1000 kids ready to go inside and raise hell. We would see some old black & white Keystone Cops and whatever else they put on the screen, but we loved it. Buy a box of candy corn and if the number inside matched the winner of the race on the screen you got a prize, unfortunately the place would end up with more candy corn on the floor than was eaten.

The Florida Theater opened in 1926 and was the first air-conditioned theater in St. Pete. It's capacity was 2,500 and cost $1 million to build. It was located at 5th St. and 1st Ave. South. In 1956 Elvis performed three sold out shows in one day. The last film to be shown at the Florida Theater was Clint Eastwood's "For a Few Dollars More" in 1967. Then the theater was purchased by a bank for $225,000 and a auction was held and about 400 people bid on the theater's artifacts. The wrecking ball came and finished the job in 1968.

The Villages Florida

A couple of blocks away on Central Avenue stood The State Theater. I can remember the first time I drove a car to see a movie, it was "In Harm's Way" at the State Theater. It was the working man's theater, nothing fancy, but it survived and is still around today as a live show venue.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 08-21-2018, 06:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Stadium seating is a must.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage

We were just there yesterday....forgot to ask when (if) the reno is going to take place. The theater is NOT a dump but the seating is a bit different if you've become accustomed to the stadium seating. We saw one post on the screen that made me wonder "IF" an Imax would be added.
Closed Thread

Tags
add, rialto, theatre, combine, larger

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.