The Ring Doorbell

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Veteran member
Default The Ring Doorbell

We just installed the Ring doorbell and wired it into the existing doorbell. It seems to be working fine except for the constant humming coming from the original door bell casing up on the wall. Does anyone know why it is doing this and how to fix it?
Old 03-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Maybe the Rng doorbell is not compatible with your chime? Does Ring have a list of compatible chimes?
Old 03-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

This sounds (no pun intended) like the ring is drawing too much power. I was not aware these actually connected to the door bell wires, I thought these were all battery powered. Anyway, I would call the manufacturer and ask the question of them. Also, let them know the type of door bell you currently have installed there may be a compatibility problem.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

Seems an unlikely coincidence, but maybe it's the doorbell itself? Mine had a constant hum inside the interior wall where the chime is. Had to replace the doorbell.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
We just installed the Ring doorbell and wired it into the existing doorbell. It seems to be working fine except for the constant humming coming from the original door bell casing up on the wall. Does anyone know why it is doing this and how to fix it?
There are a number of different models of Ring. I'm guessing you are using the one that has a little block that you attach to the wires inside of the chime cover. It may be that your chime is not compatible.

But the best way to find out what is going on is to contact Ring support.

1 800 656 1918

one of the things about all these new cloud based products is that it is often hard to get support. But once you do get through to Ring you will find their support pretty good.

Contact Community Support Worldwide – Ring Help
Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 PM

They will be captured on video throwing the rock. The video recordings work very well.

Op. What model doorbell did you get? Some of them come with a diode that must be installed if hardwiring. I have a Ring II and did not have to install a diode. Just powered from existing transformer and used the existing doorbell. Our old doorbell did not work well so I replaced with a Ring Doorbell. Very easy to set-up, pick your ring tone. They can also be adjusted to be very loud. Or you could just have it ring through your cell phones.....
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,417 Times in 5,108 Posts

The Ring doorbell devices are not compatible with a doorbell that uses a DC transformer. My house, built 3 years ago, has a transformer for the doorbell in the attic above the garage and my doorbell is a Nutone. So, I don't think it would be compatible.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Sage

Are the connections to the original doorbell chime correct? IIRC, they are specific about those.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Do I need an internet connection for a "Ring" doorbell to work?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-03-2019, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Do I need an internet connection for a "Ring" doorbell to work?
In general yes.

There is some functionality that will work without the internet like ringing your existing chimes if it is one of the Rings that supports that. But most everything else internet access is required.

So in most cases if the internet goes down you will not know if someone approaches or rings the doorbell and you will not be able to use your smart phone to see or talk to whoever is at your door.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Ring one. Great product. No buzzing. I was in New Zealand recently and my phone gave off the Ring warning to indicate that some action was going on. I got up, looked at the time and it was 4:00 am. I checked the video feed and saw my landscaper cutting my lawn. WHAT? 4:30AM. Whoops, I forgot the time difference between The Villages and New Zealand.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:29 AM

Mine works fine. They do make a transformer that is required for some door bells. I am sure if you call, they can diagnose the issue.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:06 AM

I had to take out the resistor to make the buzzing stop
Old 03-04-2019, 06:23 AM

A known problem. The Ring doorbell is drawing a small amount of current to keep its microprocessor running, thus slightly triggering your chime. Go to their web site & read the FAQ's. Many people are having the same problem. Their customer support people know the different things to try & will send you any extra parts needed -- free.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
It's likely a short in the wires leading to the doorbell causing it to be constantly on. Since the power is on, the doorbell can't retract as it should. Recheck your wiring for a direct short.
Closed Thread

Tags
doorbell, ring, wall, door, bell

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.