RioGrand Dog Park ??

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Seriously...?

Why do you guys feel the need to chime in with comments that are only posted to provoke a debate? I posted a couple of questions. Do either of you know the answers.
I support you - your original questions in my opinion were heading towards who owns this property and is it a problem to use ? I thought it was well worded making no assumptions. Why is the answer NOT acceptable from someone who has no legal or financial interest in this property ? I could be wrong but I would think only the property owners could press charges against no trespassing.

Oh I forgot to add you can't possibly expect to ask a question and get a straight answer here.

Last edited by rustyp; 04-16-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Seriously...?

Why do you guys feel the need to chime in with comments that are only posted to provoke a debate? I posted a couple of questions. Do either of you know the answers.
Your questions were answered. In case you missed it I will repeat. This area is owned by The Villages Development, or whatever the legal name is. The area was originally plotted and lots sold for modular (mobile) homes. Some of the lots were sold to individuals, but were never developed due to The Villages changing their business model to stick built homes.

Within the past couple of years The Amenity Authority Committee investigated acquiring this property from The Villages Development and the lot owners to increase the area of the Rec Center. Due to difficulties in tracking down the lot owners, establishing current land values, etc., the project was dropped. All of this information is available in the AAC meeting minutes.

Yes, this is private property, both The Villages and private individuals. Can it be used as a dog park? I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on the TOTV, my laymen answer is no. (See the discussion about the open area across from The Villages Hospital) But chances are if the dog owners are responsible and keep the area clean and do not “tear up” the property, The Villages Development will not close off this area.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Our home is close to the area and we have been walking our dog there for several years. Is it trespassing, I am not sure but the land is not posted. The area gets used heavily by many dog owners and we have never seen or heard of anyone being questioned for using the land. I do wish that people would be better at picking up after their dogs as this could eventually wind up ruining it for the responsible dog owners. I always bring three or four poop bags with me and walk out with all of them full and usually only one of them is from our dog.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Your questions were answered. In case you missed it I will repeat. This area is owned by The Villages Development, or whatever the legal name is. The area was originally plotted and lots sold for modular (mobile) homes. Some of the lots were sold to individuals, but were never developed due to The Villages changing their business model to stick built homes.

Within the past couple of years The Amenity Authority Committee investigated acquiring this property from The Villages Development and the lot owners to increase the area of the Rec Center. Due to difficulties in tracking down the lot owners, establishing current land values, etc., the project was dropped. All of this information is available in the AAC meeting minutes.

Yes, this is private property, both The Villages and private individuals. Can it be used as a dog park? I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on the TOTV, my laymen answer is no. (See the discussion about the open area across from The Villages Hospital) But chances are if the dog owners are responsible and keep the area clean and do not “tear up” the property, The Villages Development will not close off this area.
The majority of the property is owned by Villages of Lake-Sumter INC.
https://geohub-lcgis.opendata.arcgis...1.948%2C28.929

Originally planned as an RV park with electric, sewer and water to each lot. Were never developed because Swartz/Morse was making money hand over fist with stick built homes and RV park would ruin the flavor.

Tracking down the owners is really easy...their address is provided when you click on the parcel. Established current value would be the price the seller and purchaser can agree on. here is one for 40K
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...14_rect/17_zm/

You forgot to mention the part where the developer recently spoke of eminent domain with the town of Lady Lake...because a number of those RV Park lot owners are pi$$ed that the electric, sewer, and water promised by Swartz at the sale was never provided and those purchasers will probably never sell...Its only a matter of time till one of them buys an old Huey helicopter and really gets even (imagine the sound when they are warming it up in the morning to go for breakfast LOL).
Old 04-16-2018, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Our home is close to the area and we have been walking our dog there for several years. Is it trespassing, I am not sure but the land is not posted. The area gets used heavily by many dog owners and we have never seen or heard of anyone being questioned for using the land. I do wish that people would be better at picking up after their dogs as this could eventually wind up ruining it for the responsible dog owners. I always bring three or four poop bags with me and walk out with all of them full and usually only one of them is from our dog.
You bet it can wind up ruining it, just like what happen at church property beside villages off 42.

Trespassing, you can not enter private property with out permission. Signs or no signs. In most cases the landowners will just run you off if they don't want you on their land. (In this case who knows who owns what particles of land) But, they can call the sheriff and have you arrested for trespassing. No different than someone coming in you're yard without permission. You expect them To knock on the door and ask first right? Some states it's felony for trespassing, some state it's not. Florida trespassing laws? I don't know I haven't looked it up, so I will not enter private property without permission. Good example is champion golf courses unless you paid for round of golf or got pass you can't be on the course, like you see after the start shack closes, its trespassing.

I seen good example the other day, old man was resting at the entry of the compound off 466 across from villages. He was just setting there when I when by, when I came back by three sheriff vehicles were surrounding him, you can bet they was telling him he's on private property and he was just off the road. I don't know if he got arrest or was told to move on, I didn't stop and nose.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Gold member

Most times it is better to just keep quiet and use something that nobody is complaining about rather than publicize it.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
There were quite a lot of dogs using the properties when I was there in 2010-2014 or so. My current pooch might run off so he needs to stay on a leash. He likes to run fast. The turtle holes also pose a threat to dogs moving fast.

For other posters-- Take a look at the Lake County Property Appraiser web-site. It should show who owns which lots.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
There were quite a lot of dogs using the properties when I was there in 2010-2014 or so. My current pooch might run off so he needs to stay on a leash. He likes to run fast. The turtle holes also pose a threat to dogs moving fast.

For other posters-- Take a look at the Lake County Property Appraiser web-site. It should show who owns which lots.
Just to add to the turtle hole caution: A broken wrist on a Golden Retriever costs $3000+. And 12 weeks recovery.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 AM

My only concern is that there is often many dogs off leash in the Rio Grande post office/pool parking lot due to the "adopted" dog park area. Please people, reattach the leash before you leave the fenced area! Cars, pedestrians, air gun enthusiasts, pool patrons, golf cart drivers, mail center employees and me who was nearly bitten by a Dachshund who was running loose in the lot will thank you! Its your pet's safety as well as the others who use this area.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
My only concern is that there is often many dogs off leash in the Rio Grande post office/pool parking lot due to the "adopted" dog park area. Please people, reattach the leash before you leave the fenced area! Cars, pedestrians, air gun enthusiasts, pool patrons, golf cart drivers, mail center employees and me who was nearly bitten by a Dachshund who was running loose in the lot will thank you! Its your pet's safety as well as the others who use this area.
Air gun enthusiasts at a postal center. Wha...?

(I agree with you about dogs off leash anywhere but where they're allowed.)
Old 04-17-2018, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Most times it is better to just keep quiet and use something that nobody is complaining about rather than publicize it.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Air gun enthusiasts at a postal center. Wha...?

(I agree with you about dogs off leash anywhere but where they're allowed.)
The original air gun range is there also. Little shack to the left. I interpret their a lot going on there and dogs should not be off leash?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The original air gun range is there also. Little shack to the left. I interpret their a lot going on there and dogs should not be off leash?
Tx. Didn't know.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Tx. Didn't know.
You need to get out more.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

The dogs need to be on leash around the croquet and air gun range at the Rio Grande Pool and Post Office.

People take them off leash out of range of the air pistol pellets trajectory.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, park, purchased, heard, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.