Robbery at Spanish Springs?

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Veteran member

Statistically The villages' crime rate is quite a bit higher than the rest of the US in Assault and Burglary/Larceny. Other than that TV is very very low in other categories. (per Crime Risk Index of 2010).
Old 12-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS Beef View Post
Statistically The villages' crime rate is quite a bit higher than the rest of the US in Assault and Burglary/Larceny. Other than that TV is very very low in other categories. (per Crime Risk Index of 2010).

Naw.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Naw.
The Villages, FL Crime Rate Indexes - CLRSearch

I grant you I did not do a thorough search, but the above is the site I am referencing.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
The Villages, FL Crime Rate Indexes - CLRSearch

I grant you I did not do a thorough search, but the above is the site I am referencing.
Seems like they are talking about risk not actual events. There is a disclaimer to check with local law enforcement.
I don't buy their assumptions.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Seems like they are talking about risk not actual events. There is a disclaimer to check with local law enforcement.
I don't buy their assumptions.
They also show the total population in 2010 as 18,013 and the size of TV as 5.19 square miles. There is definitely something wrong with their numbers.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
You should look for a different source, to quote statistic's from.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You should look for a different source, to quote statistic's from.
Bogie Shooter I have to say you seem to me to be one of the more level headed posters so I decided I should do a better job than than just my 1 web site search. 1st of all I didn't intend to stir the pot. I absolutely loved TV and hope to be a full time resident in the future.

After spending more time trying to figure out what the "statistical" crime rate is in TV I am certainly not finding much of a consensus. That being said, when the parameter is statistics based TV is FAR below National averages (in every category) and FAR below the state of Florida averages on most every site.

To my fellow TOTV brethren I humbly apology.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:14 PM

Not everyone frequenting local establishments is an old timer living in TV. Need I say more?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post
A robber is going to go and rob people where they'll encounter the least or no resistance. Elder people are an example. Village people are prime targets. You can access just about any place here where people are congregated, have money in their pockets, and are pretty much defenseless.
I would expect to see more of this here in the Villages. If I were a crook this would be an area I'd work.
Question is, will the community sit back and do nothing and wait till things get really bad, before they do anything about it? Or will they act quickly to make it a not so friendly place for criminals?
Excellent point and that is indeed the question
Old 12-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post
A robber is going to go and rob people where they'll encounter the least or no resistance. Elder people are an example. Village people are prime targets. You can access just about any place here where people are congregated, have money in their pockets, and are pretty much defenseless.
I would expect to see more of this here in the Villages. If I were a crook this would be an area I'd work.
Question is, will the community sit back and do nothing and wait till things get really bad, before they do anything about it? Or will they act quickly to make it a not so friendly place for criminals?
What is it you suggest they act quickly do?
Old 12-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
What is it you suggest they act quickly do?

How about catching some of these alleged perpetrators, like the Spanish Springs bandit and the break-in artists who are hitting Sanibel? Solving these crimes would be a good first step.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
How about catching some of these alleged perpetrators, like the Spanish Springs bandit and the break-in artists who are hitting Sanibel? Solving these crimes would be a good first step.
Do you think those responsible are not working to do just that??

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.