Robo call blockers

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

We got rid of our land line several years ago replacing it with Ooma, VOIP . We get no spam or robo/telemarketing calls on this line.

On my iPhone X it is a different story. I get calls from all over the world....literally. Many are sourced with the same area code as my number.
I do not answer any calls from unrecognized numbers. If the caller is legitimate with reason to call me, they will leave a message.

National do not call list is ineffective.
I will endure the minimal annoyance until an IOS provided solution is developed...if ever.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
Any recommendations on the best one ?
I have a landline with Century Link.
Isn't it crazy what we have to go through just to have a home phone?
Unfortunately, I get quite a few on my cell also, but not as many as my home number.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:19 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

I get at least 5 robo calls a day on my cell and nothing has worked to stop them. It is so bad that I no longer answer my phone unless it is someone I know or they leave a message. Sad we pay so much and these companies allow ( many get paid ) their clients to be harassed.
Anyone has the answer to stop these please share, the more I block the more I get.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:20 AM

I've tried several things, my TV lets me know the incoming calls from my land line, if I don't know the person or number I don't pick-up. I have a old style Track flip phone turned on only when I need to make a call, and I still get unwanted calls.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:27 AM
Default Panasonic Phone blocks robo calls

Quote:
We have a Panasonic cordless phone system that forces a caller to enter a numeric code before the call is connected. Stops robo, but a human can get through. $90 from Amazon. Since installing it, we have cut robo calls to virtually zero. Highly recommended.

Amazon URL is too long to post here but a search for Panasonic Cordless (KX-TGD564M) or similar will find it.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We got rid of our land line several years ago replacing it with Ooma, VOIP . We get no spam or robo/telemarketing calls on this line.

On my iPhone X it is a different story. I get calls from all over the world....literally. Many are sourced with the same area code as my number.
I do not answer any calls from unrecognized numbers. If the caller is legitimate with reason to call me, they will leave a message.

National do not call list is ineffective.
I will endure the minimal annoyance until an IOS provided solution is developed...if ever.
You are lucky, BTK. We've had Ooma VOIP since 2015, and we get Robo and telemarketing calls, sometimes up to six a day. And we even subscribe to their premier service which has call blocking.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Am I the only one that wonders..... if they could put men on the moon 50 years ago WHY can't they stop unwanted robo calls?

CWGUY, you are not the only one who wonders. If the government can't stop this simple problem how are they going to protect us from deep rooted internet things that are probably already in action taking our information from the internet and more. We are always at risk.

These calls can't be stopped? B.S. If the people with the power to make the decisions were answering their own phones instead of having their Secretary or their Children do so it would have been handled already.

The best luck I have experienced is the Free versions of Verizon Call Block and then the one that stops a whole lot of the ones you don't want. I would guess about 95% for me is an App called HIYA. It has changed our life for the better. I still have a N.J. Area Code and get close to 10 B.S. calls a day. My wife has a 352 area code and the amount of Robocalls is about 1 a week. I think I have tried all apps that are available and HIYA blows the others off the map. Bada

Good Luck to all. They could do this if they weren't so busy with more important problems.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:20 PM

In my work with the younger generation I have learned that they do not activate their voice messaging. They only text, so you cannot leave a voice msg. If you text them they will then call you back. For a landline, just shut off the ringer so you won't even hear it and then don't set up the voicemail. Problem solved.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgirl View Post
I get at least 5 robo calls a day on my cell and nothing has worked to stop them. It is so bad that I no longer answer my phone unless it is someone I know or they leave a message. Sad we pay so much and these companies allow ( many get paid ) their clients to be harassed.
Anyone has the answer to stop these please share, the more I block the more I get.
If you have an iPhone you can set it to ring only if the person is in your contacts list. I also created a contact named "Spammer". I have that contact blocked. Then I just add any number I don't want to that contact.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-08-2020, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpi767 View Post
We have a Panasonic cordless phone system that forces a caller to enter a numeric code before the call is connected. Stops robo, but a human can get through. $90 from Amazon. Since installing it, we have cut robo calls to virtually zero. Highly recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-Exp...1212765&sr=8-1
Old 02-08-2020, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
In my work with the younger generation I have learned that they do not activate their voice messaging. They only text, so you cannot leave a voice msg. If you text them they will then call you back. For a landline, just shut off the ringer so you won't even hear it and then don't set up the voicemail. Problem solved.
That doesn't solve anything. People have phones because they want or need to communicate with other people. If your doctor calls, you don't have voice mail, and you've shut your ringer off, you won't ever know that your doctor called.

If your kids call - you won't know they called. Turning off your ringer and not having voice mail defeats the purpose of having a phone.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
What do you call that phone..... a paper weight?
Old 02-09-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
What is this VolP vs landline? I have never heard of this. Thanks for any info.
Well, VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) means your call goes over the internet instead of having a dedicated wire to the “phone company.”

I disagree with the earlier poster who said that VOIP isn’t a land line. Having a land line just means you aren’t using radio waves like with a mobile phone. I don’t use VOIP or a traditional phone-company line—just a mobile phone. I guess that maybe using the phone company means you have to pay “protection” to keep them from giving your phone number to the world.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:34 AM

The phone company does not give your number to the world unless your phone number is published in the company's phone book. Scam caller get your number by simply sequentially dialing every number in an area code. If the call is answered, it is recognized as a live number and can be sold to other scammers. Blocking robocall phone numbers is pointless. A robocaller can use a different caller id on every call by "spoofing" their phone number. The only remedy is to not answer any call that is from an unknown number. If it is a legitimate call, the caller can leave a voice mail. Robocallers do not leave voice mail.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
When you get a call that you don’t recognize or it says SPAM don’t answer or disconnect, let it finish ringing, then go to your RECENTS. Look for a little quotation mark, it might be hylighted in blue. Click on it, then in the drop down look for BLOCK THIS CALLER, click on it. They’re gone! But remember a lot of spammers will just use a different number. Just keep doing it, they’ll eventually will quit. You won’t get spam calls from this caller anymore. I know someone will say this doesn’t work but it’s worth a try!
Closed Thread

Tags
robo, call, blockers, recommendations, landline

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.