Robo calls on land-lines

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The smart call blocking has a 'safe caller' list, so these numbers could be placed on that so you would get the message, but you have a good point, I may have them call the cell phone.
You can also add names to the safe list like the name of your bank, doctor, etc in case they use a different number for notifications.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

I have to thank whoever pointed out that Nomorobo could be used on a landline. I set it up and the number of robocalls have dropped from an average of 18 per day, to an average of only 4 per day now. Major difference.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I have to thank whoever pointed out that Nomorobo could be used on a landline. I set it up and the number of robocalls have dropped from an average of 18 per day, to an average of only 4 per day now. Major difference.
Can you let us know what land line service you use? In the past, Nomorobo was not available with CenturyLink land line. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Can you let us know what land line service you use? In the past, Nomorobo was not available with CenturyLink land line. Thanks.
It's actually Xfinity VOIP. But it's a physical phone plugged into the phone jack on the wall. Also this is at my home in the north. In the Villages, we have no landline or VOIP, just our AT&T cellular service for our smartphones.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Default Magic Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
We have had a MagicJack and now a MagicJack Plus for many years. Very few relatives have this number. We do not get sales calls, or robocalls. It never rings, and we can use it for unlimited long distance. It works for us.
We've had MagicJack Plus for about 13 years. $20 a year if you pay 5 years in advance. We've been pleased with it. Kept our area code & number from our last residence, but it could be changed to a local area code if you choose to do so.

It has the same feature described by an ATT customer "When someone calls your number, the system prompts the caller to press the # key before the call goes through. Since a robocall can't do that, they are automatically blocked." You have to opt in for this from the MagicJack menu and found that about on one occasion we had to update it. No more robo calls since opting for this feature.

We can call forward the home line to our cell phones, receive text messages with the Magic Jack app.

We have four phones with the main unit plugged into the answering device that wirelessly connects the other three instruments. I've found your can also connect the line into your existing wired phone jack and plug your main unit or a wired phone to all the other phone jacks in your home.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

We ignore calls from unfamiliar numbers and block repeats. Today we had three calls FROM our name and number TO our name and number. I submitted a complaint form on-line to the FCC, not that it'll do any good - but you never know. You can google how to do it if you're interested. Spoofing has become a national problem and apparently the FCC and PUC's don't have the resources or teeth to do anything about it.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:07 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
We ignore calls from unfamiliar numbers and block repeats. Today we had three calls FROM our name and number TO our name and number. I submitted a complaint form on-line to the FCC, not that it'll do any good - but you never know. You can google how to do it if you're interested. Spoofing has become a national problem and apparently the FCC and PUC's don't have the resources or teeth to do anything about it.
What is a "block repeat"?
Closed Thread

Tags
calls, days, call, morning, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.