Rogue Garage Door Opener

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

My neighbor and I both experienced similar situations. None of our other neighbors had the same codes as we, so we cleared our master unit and re-entered our individual remotes. I theorized that someone was trolling through the neighborhood trying various remotes to see which worked on houses and noting them to return when they thought nobody was home with larceny in mind. We just switch the opener off on the wall unit when we're not going to be around to monitor the activity. A minor inconvenience and better than being victimized.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Veteran member

I don’t understand this code thing. The units made in the last few decades use a rolling code. The last time I heard of a code being used was when my dad installed a GDO in 1974.

What is being used in TV? Not your standard LiftMaster or Genie or Chamberlain?

A neighbors code could be the culprit. About 10 yrs ago I had a problem with my fireplace coming on (fireplace has a remote control) unexpectedly. I suspected ghosts but it was more benign. When the neighbor across the street would open their garage, my fireplace turned on. I told the neighbor about it. He must have done something because the problem was fixed.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Platinum member
Default Thank you

Thanks for all of the responses.

I thought I had wiped out the old codes, but find the MVP units a bit confusing, so I'm not sure. One would think the reprogramming was successful because there were no more incidents for many months.

I have never had a problem with the golf cart door.

I'll give it another shot, and perhaps call in Ryan. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Sage

get an electrician to put a switch in the laundry room to control the outlet or outlets that provide power to the opener/openers
Old 03-22-2017, 08:05 AM

Same thing happened to me. Changed code 4 times. Finally had to replace opener.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I don’t understand this code thing. The units made in the last few decades use a rolling code. The last time I heard of a code being used was when my dad installed a GDO in 1974.

What is being used in TV? Not your standard LiftMaster or Genie or Chamberlain?

A neighbors code could be the culprit. About 10 yrs ago I had a problem with my fireplace coming on (fireplace has a remote control) unexpectedly. I suspected ghosts but it was more benign. When the neighbor across the street would open their garage, my fireplace turned on. I told the neighbor about it. He must have done something because the problem was fixed.
Builder uses romac. Up to you to remove and use different brand
Old 03-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Builder uses romac. Up to you to remove and use different brand
Romac?

Thanks for the heads up. One more thing I need to replace after closing.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, garage, open, happened, controller

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.