» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Rogue Garage Door Opener
Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Platinum member

Exclamation Rogue Garage Door Opener

We are having problems with our garage door opener. We leave the house after watching the garage door close fully, and sometimes return to see the door standing open. I know it is not closing and immediately reopening because on one occasion a neighbor said it opened after we had been gone on vacation for two days.

The first time this happened was several months ago, so I changed the code. It started happening again a couple of weeks ago, so I changed the code again. Today, it happened again.

This happens only on our main (2 car) garage door; not on the golf cart door.

Our controller does not open the doors of other houses in the neighborhood, so it is unlikely that a neighbor's controller opens ours.

I am at a loss about what to do short of changing the entire unit.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem, and if so, how did you correct it?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran member

Had a similar problem. Could not nail down a reason but for peace of mind I decided to replace the 10 year old system with a new opener that uses "rolling codes" which automatically change after each use. No issues for the last 3 years.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
We are having problems with our garage door opener. We leave the house after watching the garage door close fully, and sometimes return to see the door standing open. I know it is not closing and immediately reopening because on one occasion a neighbor said it opened after we had been gone on vacation for two days.

The first time this happened was several months ago, so I changed the code. It started happening again a couple of weeks ago, so I changed the code again. Today, it happened again.

This happens only on our main (2 car) garage door; not on the golf cart door.

Our controller does not open the doors of other houses in the neighborhood, so it is unlikely that a neighbor's controller opens ours.

I am at a loss about what to do short of changing the entire unit.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem, and if so, how did you correct it?
I would call Ryan O'Cull Garage Doors. Highly recommended on this site. (352) 617-0522

Tell him your story - maybe he can help. Good luck.

Coffee, you're on the bench. Alcohol, suit up.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 PM

its quite possible that you have a wire rubbed through somewhere and the slightest vibration is making contact. just a thought as that was the problem on another opener with similar symptoms.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Sage

Our neighbor had the same problem and ended up having to replace the circuit board.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I would call Ryan O'Cull Garage Doors. Highly recommended on this site. (352) 617-0522

Tell him your story - maybe he can help. Good luck.
Same thing happened to me on our main door; Ryan O'Cull came out very shortly after I called him and $50 later and about 20 minutes, it works the way it should.
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:11 PM

One other possibility is that the opener is on the original or default code set and that other people with similar garage door openers and remotes also set to the original code set are accidentally or purposefully opening your garage with them. A guy I know was once a car salesman at a small dealership and would routinely test drive cars people were trying to trade in. If he saw a remote control in the car, he'd always try it as he went by one particular house and he claimed that about one time in five, it would open the garage door. Just a possibility, but you could try reprogramming the opener and remote to a new set of codes.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Sage

There was a RUMOR that all of the houses had a default "construction contractor" code, so it is possible that when you changes your code you did not wipe out the other code. If I recall correctly these openers can store several valid codes. Try removing ALL codes, and then reprogram.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Sage

Ryan is the real answer....great guy....fast & reasonable. I always unplug our opener before we go away.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Gold member

Don't forget to use the procedure to clear out all the old codes. Otherwise you are just adding a new one for your remote, but the sensor retains the other codes too.

Manage the exceptions, the rest will take care of itself.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, garage, open, happened, controller