Roku and Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Default Roku and Comcast

Hello,

I am thinking to buy a Roku for Christmas. With a Roku, can I cancel DirectTV and Comcast (TV portion) completely?

What can I NOT do with a Roku that I would still need one of these subscriptions for?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Sage

What you won't get is the network stations (NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX) or any "cable" stations such as ESPN, Discovery, NFL Network, etc. Many network shows can be viewed the next day via Hulu. We also use Netflix. You can install an over-the-air antenna to pick up the network stations from Orlando. A Roku box will provide access to an enormous amount of material but it will be a different experience than you have now. We "cut the cord" several years ago with a couple of Roku boxes and an over-the-air antenna and have not looked back. It is not for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestgolf View Post
Hello,

I am thinking to buy a Roku for Christmas. With a Roku, can I cancel DirectTV and Comcast (TV portion) completely?

What can I NOT do with a Roku that I would still need one of these subscriptions for?

Last edited by biker1; 12-12-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Gold member

we have chrome cast....

you can put anything that you can get on the computer..internet..on your TV. $30? one time fee...walmart....
Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 AM
Thumbs up Private Channels

Most Roku owners don't know that there is a whole universe of channels that have to be added manually. They're called Private Channels but there's nothing private about them. They cover many areas, some interesting and some not.

ROKU Private Channels | Roku Channels 2015 Codes & List
Roku Private Channels

You just get the code and go to your Roku account on your computer and sign in and go to "Manage your account" and "Add a channel". I think it sometimes takes 24 hours for the channel to show up on your player.

For anyone reading this that doesn't have a Roku, it's probably the best thing you can add to your TV and they're inexpensive. One time purchase, no monthly bill but some of the channels, like Netflix, do charge a monthly fee.

Last edited by Jimmydoodlebug; 12-13-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:23 AM

We've gone internet only with a Roku and an antenna for free local network TV. The Roku gives us loads of free channels. We added subscriptions to Netflix and Amazon. That's more TV than we can ever watch.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Gold member

If you interned is via Comcast then you must keep them at least for internet. ROKU requires internet and if you are going wireless you will want at least 30 bps or More for good streaming. I own sever al ROKU boxes.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Hello,

We've been using a roku and an Amazon Fire stick. Both have similar offerings.

Keep in mind that you do still need to pay for services like Hulu Plus and Netflix.

Currently we subscribe to Sling TV, which offers about 20 streaming cable channels including ESPN ($20 per month) and Netflix, which is less than $10.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Sage

For HiDef via Netflix with a Roku box, you need about 5 megabits/sec download internet performance (per box)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
If you interned is via Comcast then you must keep them at least for internet. ROKU requires internet and if you are going wireless you will want at least 30 bps or More for good streaming. I own sever al ROKU boxes.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Platinum member

We have a roku connection and connect through comcast. Growing tired of netflix and acorn. My second roku stick overheated after a couple of years use. Still better than paying for cable tv. Anyday.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:38 AM

Check Sling tv for Roku. We also got our roku free by subscribing to Sling tv for 3 months. ($20 each month)
Old 12-14-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmydoodlebug View Post
Most Roku owners don't know that there is a whole universe of channels that have to be added manually. They're called Private Channels but there's nothing private about them. They cover many areas, some interesting and some not.

Roku Private Channels

You just get the code and go to your Roku account on your computer and sign in and go to "Manage your account" and "Add a channel". I think it sometimes takes 24 hours for the channel to show up on your player.

For anyone reading this that doesn't have a Roku, it's probably the best thing you can add to your TV and they're inexpensive. One time purchase, no monthly bill but some of the channels, like Netflix, do charge a monthly fee.

Is there a way to sort thru those for free channels?
Old 12-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Smile Sorting Them Out

You can't get more sorted out than this!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:07 AM
Default Roku for guest bedroom

Quote:
Hello,

We have Directv in the LR and MBR but the cable outlet in the guest bedroom is used for Comcast internet.Until last year you could split the outlet and run a cable to the TV and get HDTV for free.No more free HDTV.
I could add a wireless Directv box($6.50 per month and $99 install) but want to look at a Roku box,one time cost $60.The guest bedroom TV is next to the Comcast gateway,so I can wire the internet connection.
Is any one using a Roku box with a Directv account?
I am pretty sure I can get ESPN and some cable channels on the box with my Directv account.
Are any local channels available?
Looking for advice from users with a Roku box and a Directv account.
Thank you.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:36 AM

No live local streaming channels as far as I know. Which stations would you like and I'll search for them? If you have ESPN channels thru Direct TV you should be able to live stream them. I get ESPN, ESPN2, 3, and ESPNU on the Roku using Comcast. The local Boston channel doesn't live stream just clips. Don't watch local FL. It's pretty much if you have it on cable you should get the channel on Roku but most are not live streaming.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:46 AM
Gold member

a good smart tv has most of what roku offers built in.

Tags
roku, comcast, subscriptions, cancel, thinking, buy, christmas, portion, directtv, completely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.