Rolled Vinyl Flooring

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeacon1 View Post
We are getting ready to purchase a new home in Deluna. It seems that most of them only have the rolled vinyl and carpet. My initial thought is to pull all of it up and replace it with tile throughout. What are your thoughts on the rolled vinyl. I know if it is anything like the homes had back in the 80's, all you had to do is look at it wrong and you would get a nick, scratch or gouge on the floor.
This is interesting because when we were there in June looking at newly built Veranda homes in St Johns, all of the homes we saw had ceramic tile, either squares or wood-look planks. We didn’t see any homes with vinyl floors, and we looked at a lot. We did see carpeting in the bedrooms of a few of them.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:54 AM
Veteran member

There now is a new category of flooring that most stores now are offering called hybrids. Some have longer warranties. They are much easier to install than laminate.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeacon1 View Post
We are getting ready to purchase a new home in Deluna. It seems that most of them only have the rolled vinyl and carpet. My initial thought is to pull all of it up and replace it with tile throughout. What are your thoughts on the rolled vinyl. I know if it is anything like the homes had back in the 80's, all you had to do is look at it wrong and you would get a nick, scratch or gouge on the floor.
Re: rolled vinyl and carpet, things are done to a price. There are different qualities of everything including rolled vinyl and carpeting. If, you wish to have it tiled, that too depends on quality. Having it done before you move in with furniture etc will be easier for workers and could/should save you some money. Our home was built on spec and it is mostly tiled. We have carpet in the bedrooms and it is of good quality. People commonly put rugs over tile in the bedroom. It is a tripping danger.

Our previous home we had top quality rolled vinyl and it was fine. Be sure your furniture has quality slides on it they are not very expensive and easy to install.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Teddy View Post
This is interesting because when we were there in June looking at newly built Veranda homes in St Johns, all of the homes we saw had ceramic tile, either squares or wood-look planks. We didn’t see any homes with vinyl floors, and we looked at a lot. We did see carpeting in the bedrooms of a few of them.
You must've missed mine with the gray wood-vinyl.

Mover gouged it when switching out my fridge with another. Still under warranty inspection, had the vinyl guy come in and heat-seal the gouge. Hard to see where it is now unless I get down on the floor. Can't feel it under my feet either. He did a good job and it was free. He told me if I was to try to replace a panel, even if it was the same color and everything, it could possibly stick out like a sore thumb because the rolls (of the same style/color) are not all exactly the same. He recommended those foam floor saver discs to go under the couch and recliner. Not plastic he said. Picked up a set from Amazon and so far they're working great. Moved recliner across the floor and they stayed firm under during the slide.

But yeah, you talk to any of these installers and they'll tell you that the floors and counters they put in are cheap material.

Last edited by mikeycereal; 08-16-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:27 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
When you hear "Rolled Vinyl" you need to think "Linoleum."
Along with carpet they used to have true hardwood and tile, 12" 18" 24", then wood-look tile, then engineered hardwood, then Luxury Vinyl, now glorified linoleum. There's a trend going on but they do what they gotta do to keep the prices somewhat down.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Since 2010, We have had tile in 3 houses, doesn’t seem any harder to walk on than the vinyl over slab.

We have never had cracking In grout, or discolored grout. New build will be completely tiled, carpet for us wrinkles down the road, and doesn’t seem to wear well in FL, but that just our thoughts
Closed Thread

Tags
rolled, vinyl, 80s, homes, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.