Roof or air conditioner advice

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2021, 11:13 AM

Ins. Co are cancelling if older that 15 years for asphalt
Old 06-18-2021, 11:25 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
Is bester a word ? ������.
Yes, better than best..........not as good as bestest.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:21 PM

My suggestion to you is you do not replace your central air conditioning unit, that you fix it when it goes bad As the new central air conditioning units only last a couple of years at best and the same thing goes for washing machines and refrigerators they are now disposable, with them lasting between one and three years. So keep the ones and fix them.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Really? Anything to support your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc B View Post
My suggestion to you is you do not replace your central air conditioning unit, that you fix it when it goes bad As the new central air conditioning units only last a couple of years at best and the same thing goes for washing machines and refrigerators they are now disposable, with them lasting between one and three years. So keep the ones and fix them.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:22 PM

If a roof leaks the consequences are far worse than the inconvenience of no air or heat. My bet is on a new roof.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
People think differently. Everything has an expected life. Op says roof and AC are both 20 years old. Both are on borrowed time. Time to find a person to do the work compare what to buy. Pricing.

When, water is pouring into your home due to a hurricane, is not a good time to relax and shop. Same is true for an air conditioner.

As to what to do first, my vote is to do the roof first. Reason they will tear off the old roof a dirty job. Do you want shingles, pieces of shingles, nails,dropped tools etc hitting your new air conditioner? I expect you will have trouble finding good people to do this now. Qualified labor shortage as well as costs up due to inflation.
We are also on borrowed time I wait till after hurricane season, who knows it might get blown off next month. IMO if it not leaking, it’s good roof, it A/C cooling it good A/C. I’ll replace it when it fails.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBeck View Post
If a roof leaks the consequences are far worse than the inconvenience of no air or heat. My bet is on a new roof.
I missed the part where they said it was leaking?
Old 06-18-2021, 02:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebooo View Post
Ins. Co are cancelling if older that 15 years for asphalt
Guess you brought wrong insurance
Old 06-18-2021, 02:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Are they both working ok? You have a minimum of 5 more years on the roof and if the AC is working I would still wait. Why spend the money now if it is not necessary. AC will probably need it first. The roof will last at least 5 and could go 10 or even 15 more years. Roofing companies will claim different but they make money selling roofs.
Clap 👏, I agree, why replace something just cause it old or discolored. Besides hurricane season is here, roof might get blown off anyway, not to mention hail storms. Far as A/C I would wait till it becomes problematic.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:34 PM

Good information. We were happy that our selected roofing company answered these questions before we chose them. Also had wind remediation done and he concurred that everything was A+ Including extra bars on our garage door. After roof was done we took all certification to our insurance company. All of this is taken into account when premium is calculated.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Really? Anything to support your opinion?
He is correct. The shorter lifespan is because of the widespread use of aluminum coils now instead of the old copper ones. The braised aluminum joints aren't as strong as copper and they tend to blow up with the higher pressure of the new R410A units VS the old R22 units.

That's not to say every aluminum A-coil is going to get a blow out, but a lot more of them do then the older copper coils.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

He stated that ACs will only "last a couple of years at best". Please provide data to support this opinion. Oh, and by the way, R410 units have been available for at least 17 years so they are hardly "new".

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothechihuahua View Post
He is correct. The shorter lifespan is because of the widespread use of aluminum coils now instead of the old copper ones. The braised aluminum joints aren't as strong as copper and they tend to blow up with the higher pressure of the new R410A units VS the old R22 units.

That's not to say every aluminum A-coil is going to get a blow out, but a lot more of them do then the older copper coils.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:59 PM

Why not get home warranty. They will replace ac and roof of it can not be fixed. My ac was 20 years old and they still fix unit with new compressor. Heat same age and they replaced circuit board and two new fans. When my home here reaches ten yrs will buy new warranty.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:35 AM

What companies insure roofs over 15 years?
Old 06-19-2021, 08:58 AM
Platinum member

have you had yearly maintenance done consistently on the AC? if so, what does the AC tech say (granted they always want to see you a new one) who knows how long it will last but I will tell you from living in Florida for over 40 years and speaking from past experience, it will go on a Friday just after business hours of a long weekend on the hottest day of the year.
Closed Thread

Tags
air, roof, conditioner, replace, conditioning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.