Roof down payment

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2020, 09:41 AM

What's wrong with "you do the job, and I will pay you"? Requests for big down payments mean the Contractor (usually) has no credit at the Supply House and must pay upfront for your materials. After all, if you did not pay upon job completion, Fla. law allows him to file a lien against your home. We never asked for any down payments. Owned my own company 24 yrs. in Orlando. 41 yrs. in the business.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Never do business "under the impression" That's just this side of "I assumed".
I was referring to the fact of the check being made out to me-my husband-and the roofing company--all three names--- Insurance has already informed us that the balance will be paid upon completion of work.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtiempo View Post
That is important info! Is there anyway you could post a copy of what it all entails. Than you.
Happy to help, I sent you a PM
Old 05-29-2020, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,938 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Before making the final payment demand that you be furnished with a " Waiver Of Claims And Liens And Release Of Rights" signed by the major suppliers and subcontractors involved in your project. Some contractors will push against this extra bit of paperwork but it is your full right to demand it. Our roofing contractor, which is well known and established in the Tri-county area, presented the waiver upon completion of the job at the time full payment was due. I doubt that he had paid the materials supplier within the 1 day of delivery and installation, but now that is between those 2 parties. It also indicated to me that he probably has an excellent reputation with his supplier which in my mind makes him a better contractor.

A lesson to be learned: Our neighbor had a beautiful driveway covered in pavers this past February by one of the local "well known", "has a display on the Squares Market Nights" companies, no money down, paid on completion and 3 weeks later was notified of a lien placed on her property by the supplier of the pavers for unpaid materials. When called, the contractor told her that "things were a bit tight right now because of "C-19" but all would be good in 2 or 3 months". Now she has a good chance of paying 1 1/2 times for her driveway work.
Good info thanks
Old 05-29-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inda50 View Post
I will be getting a new roof, insurance is paying for most of it. For others that have done this work I'd like to know what should be the down payment. The roofing company ACP is asking for the whole insurance amount less the deductible when we sign paper is this normal ?
I gave them the whole check. I suppose you can give it to them now or later but make no mistake you WILL give it to the roofers
Old 05-29-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I will be getting a new roof, insurance is paying for most of it. For others that have done this work I'd like to know what should be the down payment. The roofing company ACP is asking for the whole insurance amount less the deductible when we sign paper is this normal ?
APC did my roof and they ask for the first half that the insurance company paid you and then the balance/2nd half after the work is finished/approved inspection from the county. What you are saying is very curious in that APC has and is doing several roofs in our neighborhood and no one is having to pay like you are saying.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:32 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Very easy answer .. ZERO. And if they have tried to make a deal with you to "absorb" the deductible through the insurance payment, choose another company .. fast
Old 05-29-2020, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Before making the final payment demand that you be furnished with a " Waiver Of Claims And Liens And Release Of Rights" signed by the major suppliers and subcontractors involved in your project. Some contractors will push against this extra bit of paperwork but it is your full right to demand it. Our roofing contractor, which is well known and established in the Tri-county area, presented the waiver upon completion of the job at the time full payment was due. I doubt that he had paid the materials supplier within the 1 day of delivery and installation, but now that is between those 2 parties. It also indicated to me that he probably has an excellent reputation with his supplier which in my mind makes him a better contractor.

A lesson to be learned: Our neighbor had a beautiful driveway covered in pavers this past February by one of the local "well known", "has a display on the Squares Market Nights" companies, no money down, paid on completion and 3 weeks later was notified of a lien placed on her property by the supplier of the pavers for unpaid materials. When called, the contractor told her that "things were a bit tight right now because of "C-19" but all would be good in 2 or 3 months". Now she has a good chance of paying 1 1/2 times for her driveway work.
Did your neighbor receive a preliminary notice from the paver supplier that they intended to file a lien against her property? Florida law requires that a notice be sent to the homeowner prior to the homeowner making a final payment to the general contractor. If the paver supplier didn't send the notice, then the paver supplier cannot file a lien. If she did receive a notice, then she shouldn't have paid the contractor.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Did your neighbor receive a preliminary notice from the paver supplier that they intended to file a lien against her property? Florida law requires that a notice be sent to the homeowner prior to the homeowner making a final payment to the general contractor. If the paver supplier didn't send the notice, then the paver supplier cannot file a lien. If she did receive a notice, then she shouldn't have paid the contractor.
I have no idea as to exactly went on. We walked by one night and complimented her on the new pavers and asked name of contractor so we could get an estimate and more information. Basically her reply was "they were great, have a good reputation, required full payment on completion, which apparently she did, and couple of weeks later was notified that the lien was being placed."
I will pass on to her your posting for her to follow up as she deems appropriate.
Personally, we have had 2 significant projects completed on our Florida homes. In both I paid 1/4 of the contract upon delivery of the bulk of a significant amount of materials and the beginning of work using the material and paid the final contract amount upon completion and approval by the city inspectors and receipt of waivers
Old 05-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
I have no idea as to exactly went on. We walked by one night and complimented her on the new pavers and asked name of contractor so we could get an estimate and more information. Basically her reply was "they were great, have a good reputation, required full payment on completion, which apparently she did, and couple of weeks later was notified that the lien was being placed."
I will pass on to her your posting for her to follow up as she deems appropriate.
Personally, we have had 2 significant projects completed on our Florida homes. In both I paid 1/4 of the contract upon delivery of the bulk of a significant amount of materials and the beginning of work using the material and paid the final contract amount upon completion and approval by the city inspectors and receipt of waivers
Thanks for your reply. I doubt that a paver supplier would have sent a preliminary notice to a homeowner regarding a possible lien. But, if they did, it should have been a huge red flag to withhold payment from the contractor. I think that the paver supplier may be trying to scare the homeowner into paying them for the pavers, when they know they can't file a lien on the house.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Seems like they are being very helpful in telling you they are a high risk vendor and I would look for another. The vendor should be able to afford the carrying costs of material and labor. I can see wanting to be paid quickly at the end of the job but I would like to hold back 10% for a couple of months to see if I had any problems.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:00 PM

I had a new roof put on my house last week. Finished job Friday. I have not paid anything yet. Scott Skipper who owns SPS roofing called me today and is doing a final inspection Monday, then will call county inspector to come out.

SPS Roofing 352-266-7206
Old 05-30-2020, 09:44 PM

Have widowed cousin in Michigan. Signed over insurance check for flood as company refused to mitigate water and mold unless she did. Company got all the insurance money, she was left with TERRIBLE situation and not even able to SELL home as she had no more money to pay to try to get another company, reported to state of course, nothing really happens, we are all so naive to think these numbers given to us by contractors are valid registration numbers. I paid 100% UP FRONT to City Furniture, never did get one piece of the furniture, a year later, have done it all, BBB, Seniors against crime, Florida attorney general, 3" of "paper work on all this", and in the end, City Furniture sent my credit card company a "copy" of the delivery sheet signed by me, and yet, when they brought only some of what I paid for, I REFUSED TO SIGN ANYTHING. It's useless to fight anyone, plumber charged $90 to fix ONE dripping faucet, hot water. I said, "oh, look, it is STILL dripping", Oh, no, he said, it will stop, that's only "left in line". It STILL drips, no way to get my money back, told credit card (BOA) it was "fixed".
I sure hope people don't get taken with this roofing claim thing.
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, roof, payment, company, paper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.