Roof Rats

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I walk over to the neighbors today for a friendly chat and he said he and his wife
thought they had squirrels on their roof.

Hired a exterminator and he told them they had roof rats in their attic. (goggle it).

Roof rats are the worst rodent pest in the state of Florida and most abundant. The Norway rat (Rattus norvegicus) that is familiar to most people is rare in Florida. Roof rats consume and destroy stored animal and human food, attack fruit crops, and take up residence in attics, soffits, hollow walls, and out-buildings.

Anyone have them ?
yes... not a big deal... if you live on a golf course you got them. its a given. However, you can have a roofer, cover the vent openings with the proper caps to prevent rodents from entering the inside of your roof... cheap to add and still lets the air in and out. been there done that.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:18 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
I walk over to the neighbors today for a friendly chat and he said he and his wife

Hired a exterminator and he told them they had roof rats in their attic. (goggle it).

Roof rats are the worst rodent pest in the state of Florida and most abundant. The Norway rat (Rattus norvegicus) that is familiar to most people is rare in Florida. Roof rats consume and destroy stored animal and human food, attack fruit crops, and take up residence in attics, soffits, hollow walls, and out-buildings.

Anyone have them ?
Used to see them OFTEN... way too often...around our postal box station. Have the feeling too many people complained and "something" was done ! Some time ago now, we found a dead one under a bush when we were working on our yard. Later neighbor said he was cleaning his gas grill each time as exterminator told him they are drawn to the outdoor grill's grease and residue. Sure enough, he found exactly how they got in and out of the lanai and the holes they even made in the SCREENS in the corners !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 01-14-2022 at 05:20 PM. Reason: omission
Old 01-14-2022, 06:00 PM

My exterminator put in a one way door. I came home one day and saw the door had been put in. I never met the man, but he would climb up there to check every day or two. The rat could leave but could not get back in. Finally, he made sure that no one else had lived there and he took out the one way door. He used something stronger than stucco to patch the hole and did both sides. He said they would not be able to get through this new kind of patch. He matched the color and you can't tell where the big hole had been from that large man eating rat.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:54 PM

My last house had rats and droppings in the attic. Climbed a tree on the side of my house so people here need to know that trees next to your house may provide rat highways
Old 01-15-2022, 06:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Not an option if you have a dog that can also hear the Ultrasonic frequency.
I don't know where you heard that. My buddies also have them in their house and their dog is fine with them.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:19 AM

Walking I noticed there is someone on Palo Alto Avenue, by the power lines/golf course street that is putting vegetables in the Curb to feed the rats! I don’t live in that area. So PLEASE everyone watch your curbs to see who is trying to be nice to the rats. I can’t believe anyone would do this, but obviously some people just don’t think of consequences.

Quote:

Anyone have them ?
Old 01-15-2022, 10:26 AM

Yes, and you need to act fast to rid yourself. We had put poison up there to keep them away. mistake. one died up there and stunk up the whole house. Removal and buttoning up All possible entries cost us a lot of money. We had called several in the Village area, all refused or did nod crutter proof. So, we found the only reliabe, experience and willing to deal with the dead critter was in Orlando, travel adding to the cost.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:51 PM
Default Roof/tree rats

Quote:

Anyone have them ?
Tree/roof rats are real and can be a huge problem. Make sure you don't plant any trees, palms, bushes etc too close to your house where they can climb up them and them jump onto your roof. Also buy some gutter guard screens that are put at your down spots that keep them and other critters from climbing up your gutters to get to your roof.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:

Anyone have them ?
At least we don't have to worry about rug rats too much here in TV Land.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
At least we don't have to worry about rug rats too much here in TV Land.
Just older ones…..
Old 01-16-2022, 11:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Don't Waste Your Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I use plug in Ultrasonic Pest Repellers near every sink and they seem to work. Not sure if they would help with attic rats though.
The University of Arizona found that ultrasonic pest devices are not an effective way to treat pest problems. The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture and the National Wildlife Research Center has found that rodents have stopped responding to the sounds after a few days of exposure.

While some ultrasonic repellents may have a minor short-term impact on some pests, the research is nearly universal: Ultrasonic pest repellers are not an effective option for preventing or eradicating pests.

Please note that the ultrasonic sounds created by these devices CAN be harmful to your pets.

Tags
roof, rats, florida, hollow, rattus

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.