roof vent question

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2019, 10:17 AM
Default roof vent question

The fan in one of our three mushroom shaped roof vents has recently begun to make a lot of noise. I actually never knew these vents had fans before I began to hear the fan noise. Should I call a roof co. or a solar tube person?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I am guessing a previous owner installed powered units. If this is the case, I would use the newspaper or Google and look for powered attic fans and see if they can help.

If this is a new build, then call home warranty and ask who installed these, then call that company.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:58 AM

Actually, I just took a better look at all the vents and discovered that there is also a solar unit behind the other three. I suspect what I hear is the solar unit...if that's the case, it's not a fan that will start a fire, right?
Will get in touch with the Solar Guys.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Sage

///

Last edited by mulligan; 07-19-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
A solar fan runs on electricity generated by the solar collector, and usually stored in a battery. Yes it can start a fire .
The solar panel runs the fan, there is no battery. There never is under any brand, any model. There is no need for The fan to run at night or on a cloudy day, which would take battery power. This is designed to run on sunny days when your attic is hottest.

The chances are greater of lightening striking your home and burning it to the ground than one of these 12 volt at 20 watts, fans starting a fire.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:50 PM
Sage

Any rotating electrical device can start a fire--cars are 12v and there are electrical fires in cars--I honest doubt these solar powered fans areU/L approved
Old 07-19-2019, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Don't think the 10 or 20 or 30 watt output from the photocell that directly drives the DC motor in the solar attic fans could cause much of if any fire. Maybe a little warmth if the motor freezes. I had a few installed by SOLARGUYS and they could probably be directly driven by 2x AA batteries but changing them would be a PITA. Not sure if they are uL Approved. They are made by "SOLAR STAR".
Old 07-19-2019, 10:59 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default The Solar Guys

Doesn't sound like one of our units as the solar panels are integrated into the top of the solar fan with ours. If I had to bet it would be that the fan still utilizes a brushed motor design and they are wearing out. If it's one of the original roof vents and someone put a fan inside of it we won't be of much help repairing it. I believe that was someone operating out of the flea market but I haven't seen him around in years. It was more of a DIY project and parts are hard to track down or discounted altogether. If you can get a picture from the ground and email it to sales@thesolarguys.com we can try to identify it for you. We could disconnect that fan which would turn it back into the orginal static vent. We could also install one of our brushless solar fans on your home if you wanted more ventilation. Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:00 AM

Sounds like the roof fan vent is 120 vac. If there is no solar panel on top or near the roof vent, more than likely it is A.C. fed. with a thermostat for temp control. Any electrician can swap out the motor, with a new unit.
Closed Thread

Tags
roof, vents, noise, fan, began

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.