Roped off entire section to save seats

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

That is very disappointing, they will not help enforce their own policy. Sad note.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Gold member

We were at SS tonight as well tonight, at 5p when the music began, there were 10 seats roped off. I pulled the rope off and allowed 8 others to use those chairs, we only needed 2. At approx. 5:40p, the person who had roped off the seats showed up. We informed her that seats not occupied when the music begins are fair game. Well, that began quite the intense discussion about the rules for seats. I was not only accused of ruining their evening, but that of their out of town guests as well. So sorry, but why should you be so much more special than anybody else.

BTW, the people seated around us cheered the actions!

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
We were at SS tonight as well tonight, at 5p when the music began, there were 10 seats roped off. I pulled the rope off and allowed 8 others to use those chairs, we only needed 2. At approx. 5:40p, the person who had roped off the seats showed up. We informed her that seats not occupied when the music begins are fair game. Well, that began quite the intense discussion about the rules for seats. I was not only accused of ruining their evening, but that of their out of town guests as well. So sorry, but why should you be so much more special than anybody else.

BTW, the people seated around us cheered the actions!
Good for you!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Tonight Rocky and the Rollers were at SS. The usual 20+ chairs (front rows), and many others, not front row, were tied off with a string or hacross.hions on them. At 6 minutes until 5, I called the # that was posted in about the third reply in this thread. I talked to a very nice lady, who said that was not allowed. I ask her to please send someone over, so any chairs not occupied in the saved seats at 5pm would have the ropes and cushions removed. She said there was no one to do this and there was nothing she could do.

So, the message is: save, save, save! TV does not want to help.
Their response is " no one to do it ". Good. Do it yourself and dump it all in the trash and have a seat or two. Like another poster said that's how to get the message across.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:05 PM

Congratulations. Perhaps we should have assigned seat police that go to each of the three centers at 4:59, scissors in hand. Enough is enough. If they can't hear the music from 100 feet away then perhaps they need to have their ears checked. Congrats Kahuna. You are my hero of the week. To those that tied. So you want a little cheese with that whine????
Old 02-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Gold member

Thank you Gracie. I'd like to believe that we are all adults, but that seems too much to expect.

-Bob Seger-
Old 02-23-2015, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I see a dilemma in all this. What if you have a small group of four to eight people let's say who have not save seats, but go there early to get seats together. Then you all get up to go to the bathroom or dance or get in line for an adult beverage. When you return people have removed your seat cushions or whatever you left on your seats to let someone know that they are occupied and people are sitting in the seats. Or, you go there as a couple and another couple is on the way so you politely tell people that you are saving two seats. Now many people might say that saving two seats is one thing but roping off twenty seats is something else. The question is where does the line get drawn?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Gold member

Hi Doc, seats that are marked with jackets or personal items should be off limits. Seats that are just roped or stringed off with no one in sight are a different story once the entertainment starts. IMHO

-Bob Seger-
Old 02-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Why can't The Villages post a sign at each town square that says something like: "Reserving seats or roping off areas is not allowed." It might deter some people from saving seats, and it would give people who cut the ribbons justification for doing so. The people who reserve the seats really don't have an argument when there is a posted sign.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Why can't The Villages post a sign at each town square that says something like: "Reserving seats or roping off areas is not allowed." It might deter some people from saving seats, and it would give people who cut the ribbons justification for doing so. The people who reserve the seats really don't have an argument when there is a posted sign.

I would totally agree with this. if The Villages posted their position regarding this then the inconsiderate people that feel that they are entitled to reserve seats, might have to think twice. Otherwise it become a confrontation. Just posting a sign that can be referred to could solve some problems.

Last edited by JRichm369; 02-23-2015 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Correcting text
Old 02-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Eternal Member

Hey, all these saving seats posts will not make a bit of difference in saving seats. just get there early, plop your your butts down and stay there until the entertainment starts. Until you do that, quit griping about it!

Get there and plop down by 4:15 and you will have no problem.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
That is very disappointing, they will not help enforce their own policy. Sad note.
What policy are you referring to?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Tonight Rocky and the Rollers were at SS. The usual 20+ chairs (front rows), and many others, not front row, were tied off with a string or had cushions on them. At 6 minutes until 5, I called the # that was posted in about the third reply in this thread. I talked to a very nice lady, who said that was not allowed. I ask her to please send someone over, so any chairs not occupied in the saved seats at 5pm would have the ropes and cushions removed. She said there was no one to do this and there was nothing she could do.

So, the message is: save, save, save! TV does not want to help.
WAs the very nice lady part of the entertainment staff?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post

Because if they posted their position...just like when you are a parent..if you open your mouth and tell a kid what to do...you had better be ready to take it on.

Which in the case of The Villages may mean just about anything including having someone sue you, hit you, or God knows what.

My opinion of the rule makers here are that they just try to stay out of confrontations. The signs would take a bit of the warm cozy out of the squares if you look at it from their point of view.

It is not just here in The Villages that these things happen. Saving seats is an accepted behavior in some parts of the country and people bring it with them.

You cannot legislate fair dealings. People are sometimes selfish and uncaring and will find a way to get around any rules or signs.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna32162 View Post
we were at ss tonight as well tonight, at 5p when the music began, there were 10 seats roped off. I pulled the rope off and allowed 8 others to use those chairs, we only needed 2. At approx. 5:40p, the person who had roped off the seats showed up. We informed her that seats not occupied when the music begins are fair game. Well, that began quite the intense discussion about the rules for seats. I was not only accused of ruining their evening, but that of their out of town guests as well. So sorry, but why should you be so much more special than anybody else.

Btw, the people seated around us cheered the actions!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1424783001-313615-jpg
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.