Roped off entire section to save seats

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudoll View Post
Print right on the chairs: SAVING SEATS NOT ALLOWED!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
145 posts and finally a new idea.
I thought Loudoll in Post 133 had a good idea.
We all know The Villages doesn't like to post a lot of signs, and rightly so.
Instead of posting signs, simply print on each chair - SAVING SEATS NOT ALLOWED.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudoll View Post
Print right on the chairs: SAVING SEATS NOT ALLOWED!
Good idea.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:15 PM
Platinum member

Another couple of weeks and the SBs will be gone. This topic can finally die until next January!
Old 03-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
i think that the reason that this is such a compelling subject and such a long thread is that there will always be times that groups of humans do things that just seem plain wrong...and it bugs the heck out of us.

In this situation, you really can't pass a law, and to ask, tell, direct, sign for people to stop doing it, will be overlooked again and again by the selfish and defiant people of the world.

When the rubber hits the road and the stuff hits the fan, what then? When big old drunk bruiser says to the entertainment staff.... Make me.

How can they make him????

That is my point.
isn't that why we have policing authorities at the squares on most evenings ??
Old 03-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt. View Post
huh? Are you saying you rope off a bunch of seats when you get a drink?
Now this discussion is just going to veer into the absurd. What if a group of 20 veterans with health issues wants to reserve 20 seats!! What if some hard-of-hearing orphans want to save a few seats close enough to hear the music? What if 10 drunks with big swords get mad that you threw their rope away...

If i tie off a section of seats every night... Does that make me a serial ropist?
wouldn't that be the responsibility of the entertainment to make those special arrangments ??
Old 03-14-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I think that the reason that this is such a compelling subject and such a long thread is that there will always be times that groups of humans do things that just seem plain wrong...and it bugs the heck out of us.

In this situation, you really can't pass a law, and to ask, tell, direct, sign for people to stop doing it, will be overlooked again and again by the selfish and defiant people of the world.

When the rubber hits the road and the stuff hits the fan, what then? When big old drunk bruiser says to the Entertainment staff.... Make me.

HOW CAN THEY MAKE HIM????

That is my point.
That would keep me from saying anything to a seat saver. I am told that some people carry guns on them at the squares. How primitive is that?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

I put it down as a suggestion for improvement in the Annual Survey.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandfinch View Post
That would keep me from saying anything to a seat saver. I am told that some people carry guns on them at the squares. How primitive is that?
Oh good grief. All 50 states have concealed-carry weapons permitted by law.

Don't start up nonsense where there ain't any, like suggested threats of misuse of them at the squares.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post

Don't start up nonsense where there ain't any, like suggested threats of misuse of them at the squares.
You are right. Just to quell any nonsense talk about misuse of concealed guns at the squares - ALL persons with the CCW know that displaying or "brandishing" their gun in a threatening way is called assault with a deadly weapon and is prison time! It is even more time if they are standing in line for a drink.

Do not worry about that. Not gonna happen.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Good idea.
For some reason known only to TVs ,they are not too keen on posting signs.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Veteran member
Smile Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post

Ah but Florida tops the list with more than any other state. Actually looks like Florida has more concealed carry permits than a small country's army has weapons.

United States Concealed Carry Statistics

Sorry, back to topic.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
For some reason known only to TVs, they are not too keen on posting signs.

I'm glad that Management in The Villages doesn't want to post a lot of signs:
No Smoking in The Squares, No Saving Seats, Don't Feed the Gators, Keep Your Dogs Securely Leashed,
No Unaccompanied Children on the Dance Floor, No Sex in the Pavillion Until We Close ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I still think that Loudoll in Post 133 had a good idea.
Since The Villages doesn't like to post a lot of signs, simply print on each chair - SAVING SEATS NOT ALLOWED.
That way if someone frees up roped chairs and the roper comes back to object, simply point to the sign on each chair. It's so simple.

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-14-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I just went by SS this morning and it's all blocked off for St Patrick's Day. All of the parking spaces are blocked off and people have put their personal chairs on the street behind the blockades. I don't have any problem with that. What I also saw and is a big problem is that several of the table that the vendors put out so that people can eat have been roped off. Some have table cloths and signs on them with the names of various organizations, neighborhoods and clubs.

I would think that the vendors would stop people from doing this. The idea of the tables is that you go to a vendor, buy some food and sit at a table and eat it. If the tables are all taken there is nowhere to eat and I would imagine that fewer people will buy food and eat it.

Personally, I stay away from these big events that they have. We used to go to them when we first came to The Villages, but there was no place to park and no place to sit. We would usually wait in line for 45 minutes for some bad food and then ended up sitting on the curb while people who were not eating were sitting at tables.

My brother was down last year during Mardi Gras. We went to the celebration at LSL and waited in line for some Jambalaya. After waiting for a half hour and realizing there would be no place to sit we went back up to SS and ate at Gator's Dockside.

If were up to me they wouldn't have these events. They are just a pain for most of us who enjoy the entertainment in the squares.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I think that the reason that this is such a compelling subject and such a long thread is that there will always be times that groups of humans do things that just seem plain wrong...and it bugs the heck out of us.

When the rubber hits the road and the stuff hits the fan, what then? When big old drunk bruiser says to the Entertainment staff.... Make me.

HOW CAN THEY MAKE HIM????

That is my point.
If that happened, and I believe that it would be a very rare occurrence,it would be time for the event staff to get the police involved. If I'm not mistaken, the is a police presence in all the squares. SS has Lady Lake officers, LSL has Sumter County Sheriff's Deputies and Brownwood has Wildwood police officers. That's exactly what they are there for.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.