Round-abouts again

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Of course signaling is a good thing.

But to be honest, if you obey the two most important rules (imo) of roundabout driving...yield to both lanes of the roundabout before entering and never drive next to another vehicle within the roundabout...potential conflicts have already been minimized even without signaling your exit.
I live by these two rules when it comes to TV RABs. This is my mantra in every RAB thread that has ever been discussed here on TOTV.

I live by these two rules...... I NEVER EVER drive next to anyone in the RAB. I adjust my speed so not to be next to anyone. That is purely defensive driving. I also NEVER EVER enter a RAB when a car is in either one of the lanes. Again....defensive driving.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I agree, traffic would move along more briskly if signals were used. You sit there trying to guess who is going to turn as the traffic builds up behind you.
Anytime in a RAB or regular roadways, when someone has their directional on, I always wait until they actually make their turn before I proceed to move my car forward. I DO NOT TRUST anyone's directional. Too many people forget the directional is on. Have you ever followed someone on the roadway for any length of time with their directional still blinking? I have seen this too many times to ever trust anyone's directional. I have seen too many directionals blinking and the driver does not do what the directional was telling me they were intending to do.

Trust then verify will always prevent an accident. Someone who uses their directional in a RAB will never get me to believe they plan to exit a RAB. When their tires begin to turn in the direction of their exit point and when their car actually makes their exit is when i will know it is safe to proceed.

I take defensive driving to another level I guess. Sorry if I slow the traffic pattern but I prefer to be safe.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Anytime in a RAB or regular roadways, when someone has their directional on, I always wait until they actually make their turn before I proceed to move my car forward. I DO NOT TRUST anyone's directional...

Sorry if I slow the traffic...
You’re not holding up traffic. You’re doing the right thing.

If they’re close enough that you need to see a turn signal to go, then you should be yielding to them anyway. Then if they turn, you go.

This is another example of why signals are a nice courtesy, but not that important if you’re yielding to traffic properly anyway.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Are you saying you turn on a directional to enter your driveway?
Of course I do. Why not. Suppose someone is directly behind you, doesn't it make sense to indicate you are about to slow down and make a turn.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
When their tires begin to turn in the direction of their exit point and when their car actually makes their exit is when i will know it is safe to proceed.
I do the same thing.

A few days ago I was driving north on Morse and I stopped at the Hollsborough RAB because a car was coming thru the RAB in the outside lane.

I remained there until I was absolutely sure the other car was turning to go south on Morse. In the meantime, the guy behind me honked at me. I thought it was pretty funny.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Given the non use of signals freely admitted by many on this post
The hundreds of different personal versions of how to navigate a roundabout.
Given the age of many drivers, their slow reaction times, poor eyesight, the amount medicatiion, booze ingested, I am astounded at the numbers who actually survive driving in The Villages.
The Gods must smile on, and watch over this place!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
I know you are probably tired of this issue but let me address something that hasn't been considered very much. Traffic flow would be much smoother, there would be less accidents, and much less confusion if drivers would only do a simple thing. SIGNAL WHEN YOU ARE EXITING THE ROUND ABOUT !!! Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...
I agree with you - using turn signals would make ALL the difference. However, do you notice that turn signals are rarely used ANYWHERE?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:01 AM
Default Roundabout Courtesy

Quote:
I know you are probably tired of this issue but let me address something that hasn't been considered very much. Traffic flow would be much smoother, there would be less accidents, and much less confusion if drivers would only do a simple thing. SIGNAL WHEN YOU ARE EXITING THE ROUND ABOUT !!! Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...
I agree and have been doing this for a long time but most people do not. Sometimes a driver will actually switch lanes during the roundabout exit without signaling which of course is quite risky. In addition, as many drivers approach the roundabout, instead of obeying the signs that say "reduced speed ahead" they speed up as if partaking in a race. Go figure.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:14 AM

Simple rules for approaching a roundabout.
The LEFT lane is for going straight and turning LEFT
The RIGHT lane if for going straight and turning RIGHT

Get it??
Old 05-20-2019, 06:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barvic View Post
Simple rules for approaching a roundabout.
The LEFT lane is for going straight and turning LEFT
The RIGHT lane if for going straight and turning RIGHT

Get it??
Ummm...I think that's incorrect.
https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 05-20-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Im europe iys a $50 fine for not using a turn signal.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:27 AM

I lived in England for seven years, they have Roundabouts all over the place, an traffic moves easily. The Biggest thing is their Roundabouts are designed for safe driving, No curbs, hard angles when entering or exiting, good line of sight. Village Roundabouts are just designed incorrectly. There are a few in Maryland and they also are of bad design. Use Google Maps of other map program and look at roads in the UK. There are even some Doubles.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Ummm...I think that's incorrect.
https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
Steve
I hope your not going to suggest turning right from the left hand lane, or left from the right?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 AM

If TV would structure their roundabouts like Hilton Head Island, we wouldn’t have these problems. They have definite right turn lanes with concrete ‘barriers’ in the pavement (no crossing lanes) so you must turn right. If you’re going to the next ‘exit, you’re in the inner lane and will easily make the turn. Also, they should reverse the resident/non-result dent entrances at the the gates. I know that messes up the guardhouse attendant, but....The roundabouts here are crazy...the drivers crazier!
Old 05-20-2019, 06:53 AM

The best rule, if you can only remember one, is NEVER switch lanes while in the circle.
Closed Thread

Tags
exiting, round, simple, drivers, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.