Round-abouts again

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Default Round-abouts again

I know you are probably tired of this issue but let me address something that hasn't been considered very much. Traffic flow would be much smoother, there would be less accidents, and much less confusion if drivers would only do a simple thing. SIGNAL WHEN YOU ARE EXITING THE ROUND ABOUT !!! Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...
Old 05-18-2019, 10:20 AM
Gold member

No it won't.

The only way is to make the traffic circle one single lane.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
...The only way is to make the traffic circle one single lane.

That's wrong on so many levels I won't even go into specifics.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:12 AM

Agree...signalling would help. I do it hoping it will catch the attention of the hurried driver who otherwise might cut me off.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Gold member

Best advice I ever ran across on TOTV was to never drive through or enter a roundabout next to another vehicle.
I always use turn signals to let other drivers know my intentions!
Old 05-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

That's wrong on so many levels I won't even go into specifics.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
I know you are probably tired of this issue but let me address something that hasn't been considered very much. Traffic flow would be much smoother, there would be less accidents, and much less confusion if drivers would only do a simple thing. SIGNAL WHEN YOU ARE EXITING THE ROUND ABOUT !!! Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...
They think their going straight. There no straight thru roundabout, you must use you’re turn signal when exiting, but also supposed to stop behind stops signs also which happen as about as often as signaling when exiting roundabouts. Good point, but lost cause.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
Agree...signalling would help. I do it hoping it will catch the attention of the hurried driver who otherwise might cut me off.
I signal ever time with my finger...No ones notices.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Sage

Of course signaling is a good thing.

But to be honest, if you obey the two most important rules (imo) of roundabout driving...yield to both lanes of the roundabout before entering and never drive next to another vehicle within the roundabout...potential conflicts have already been minimized even without signaling your exit.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Well I guess if we are going to rehash this topic again.... it's worth repeating Sumter Co. has a nice guide that tax dollars paid for on how to drive in roundabouts. I would assume it was written by the "experts".(The professional type.... not the TOTV type)

Here is a link:

https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
Old 05-18-2019, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...
I don't signal because my hands are busy steering my car.

The only time I am in the left lane is when I am going 3/4 of the way around. In that case, my hands are busy steering left around the circle and then I have to steer right to make my exit.

Polar Bear makes a very good point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
if you obey the two most important rules (imo) of roundabout driving...yield to both lanes of the roundabout before entering and never drive next to another vehicle within the roundabout...potential conflicts have already been minimized even without signaling your exit.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:52 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Painting the white lines would be helpful.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Well I guess if we are going to rehash this topic again.... it's worth repeating Sumter Co. has a nice guide that tax dollars paid for on how to drive in roundabouts. I would assume it was written by the "experts".(The professional type.... not the TOTV type)

Here is a link:

https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
Not everyone who drives through roundabouts is a member of this forum, and would even know that rules were available from Sumter County. Not everyone who visits the Villages knows that it's the county that makes the rules of these roads, and not the Villages. Some people might think these are owned by the Villages, not public roads. Especially people who are visiting friends for the first time.

People who've lived here, or driven through here a few times, for awhile, should definitely know better. But you're assuming that everyone who drives through or in knows a) to look for the roundabouts, b) that they exist, c) that the rules for them are available from the county (not the town, not the CDD, not the forum, not The Villages Sales office), and d) that the rules her might be different from the rules for the roundabouts where they're from, and therefore they have any reason to check at all.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Not everyone who drives through roundabouts is a member of this forum, and would even know that rules were available from Sumter County. Not everyone who visits the Villages knows that it's the county that makes the rules of these roads, and not the Villages. Some people might think these are owned by the Villages, not public roads. Especially people who are visiting friends for the first time.

People who've lived here, or driven through here a few times, for awhile, should definitely know better. But you're assuming that everyone who drives through or in knows a) to look for the roundabouts, b) that they exist, c) that the rules for them are available from the county (not the town, not the CDD, not the forum, not The Villages Sales office), and d) that the rules her might be different from the rules for the roundabouts where they're from, and therefore they have any reason to check at all.

Well said!
You are correct on every point that you've made.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
No it won't.

The only way is to make the traffic circle one single lane.
Of course it will improve the flow of traffic.
Closed Thread

Tags
exiting, round, simple, drivers, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.