Round-abouts again

Round-abouts again

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...
I don't signal because my hands are busy steering my car.

The only time I am in the left lane is when I am going 3/4 of the way around. In that case, my hands are busy steering left around the circle and then I have to steer right to make my exit.

Polar Bear makes a very good point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
if you obey the two most important rules (imo) of roundabout driving...yield to both lanes of the roundabout before entering and never drive next to another vehicle within the roundabout...potential conflicts have already been minimized even without signaling your exit.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:52 PM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

Painting the white lines would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2019, 07:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Well I guess if we are going to rehash this topic again.... it's worth repeating Sumter Co. has a nice guide that tax dollars paid for on how to drive in roundabouts. I would assume it was written by the "experts".(The professional type.... not the TOTV type)

Here is a link:

https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
Not everyone who drives through roundabouts is a member of this forum, and would even know that rules were available from Sumter County. Not everyone who visits the Villages knows that it's the county that makes the rules of these roads, and not the Villages. Some people might think these are owned by the Villages, not public roads. Especially people who are visiting friends for the first time.

People who've lived here, or driven through here a few times, for awhile, should definitely know better. But you're assuming that everyone who drives through or in knows a) to look for the roundabouts, b) that they exist, c) that the rules for them are available from the county (not the town, not the CDD, not the forum, not The Villages Sales office), and d) that the rules her might be different from the rules for the roundabouts where they're from, and therefore they have any reason to check at all.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:48 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Not everyone who drives through roundabouts is a member of this forum, and would even know that rules were available from Sumter County. Not everyone who visits the Villages knows that it's the county that makes the rules of these roads, and not the Villages. Some people might think these are owned by the Villages, not public roads. Especially people who are visiting friends for the first time.

People who've lived here, or driven through here a few times, for awhile, should definitely know better. But you're assuming that everyone who drives through or in knows a) to look for the roundabouts, b) that they exist, c) that the rules for them are available from the county (not the town, not the CDD, not the forum, not The Villages Sales office), and d) that the rules her might be different from the rules for the roundabouts where they're from, and therefore they have any reason to check at all.

Well said!
You are correct on every point that you've made.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
No it won't.

The only way is to make the traffic circle one single lane.
Of course it will improve the flow of traffic.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Well I guess if we are going to rehash this topic again.... it's worth repeating Sumter Co. has a nice guide that tax dollars paid for on how to drive in roundabouts. I would assume it was written by the "experts".(The professional type.... not the TOTV type)

Here is a link:

https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
The problem if this, you cannot control the behavior of drivers. All the instructions in the world will not make a driver do anything they choose not to do.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I don't signal because my hands are busy steering my car.

The only time I am in the left lane is when I am going 3/4 of the way around. In that case, my hands are busy steering left around the circle and then I have to steer right to make my exit.

Polar Bear makes a very good point:
If I understand your comment, you never use your signal when exiting a roadway onto another roadway or even you driveway. You are one of those who cause accidents by not indicating your intentions to other drivers.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:07 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
If I understand your comment, you never use your signal when exiting a roadway onto another roadway or even you driveway. You are one of those who cause accidents by not indicating your intentions to other drivers.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
If I understand your comment, you never use your signal when exiting a roadway onto another roadway or even you driveway.
You did not understand my comment. It only pertained to my non-use of turn signals in a roundabout.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:26 AM

I agree, traffic would move along more briskly if signals were used. You sit there trying to guess who is going to turn as the traffic builds up behind you.
Closed Thread

Tags
exiting, round, simple, drivers, thing