Round-abouts again

Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Well I guess if we are going to rehash this topic again.... it's worth repeating Sumter Co. has a nice guide that tax dollars paid for on how to drive in roundabouts. I would assume it was written by the "experts".(The professional type.... not the TOTV type)

Here is a link:

https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
The problem if this, you cannot control the behavior of drivers. All the instructions in the world will not make a driver do anything they choose not to do.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I don't signal because my hands are busy steering my car.

The only time I am in the left lane is when I am going 3/4 of the way around. In that case, my hands are busy steering left around the circle and then I have to steer right to make my exit.

Polar Bear makes a very good point:
If I understand your comment, you never use your signal when exiting a roadway onto another roadway or even you driveway. You are one of those who cause accidents by not indicating your intentions to other drivers.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
If I understand your comment, you never use your signal when exiting a roadway onto another roadway or even you driveway. You are one of those who cause accidents by not indicating your intentions to other drivers.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
If I understand your comment, you never use your signal when exiting a roadway onto another roadway or even you driveway.
You did not understand my comment. It only pertained to my non-use of turn signals in a roundabout.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

I agree, traffic would move along more briskly if signals were used. You sit there trying to guess who is going to turn as the traffic builds up behind you.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

Hope I don’t run out THIS TIME!!!!
Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
The problem if this, you cannot control the behavior of drivers. All the instructions in the world will not make a driver do anything they choose not to do.
Or the hundreds of posts on TOTV......
Old 05-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Count me in as one of those drivers who "cause accidents by not indicating their intentions to other drivers".BTW, I use my directionals all the time with the exception of the RABs. In fact, after driving TV RABs for over 10 years, I have yet to cause one accident. In fact, if I have seen drivers use their directionals a total of maybe 50 times in 10 years, that is probably grossly over estimated.

Does the directional actually automatically cancel itself when exiting a RAB? I wouldn't know as I never have tried it.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
You sit there trying to guess who is going to turn as the traffic builds up behind you.
Is that a problem?

I am a slow driver and I do not follow other drivers closely. I have never worried about traffic building up behind me.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

The roundabouts are not typical inmost North American areas. My husband who drives tour buses all over the continent experienced a bit of difficulty with them. Everyone is used to lights, arrows, turns, etc. This roundabout idea is probably there for a reason but to new people like me until I get used to it -it is just an unsafe nuisance.

The safest driving method in most places is to go with the traffic. Signaling is really a good idea so other people can see your intention. It’s like saying when someone is in your way, “Excuse me” first, instead of just plowing right ahead.

In order not to deal with the traffic hubby always took the highways and main roads to get anywhere in TV that was at any distance. Especially after our real estate agent bombed up and down Morse while texting throughout the whole time. I couldn’t wait to get out of his car. But he was a great agent otherwise.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Are you saying you turn on a directional to enter your driveway?
Old 05-19-2019, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

If you have someone behind you and you are going to apply the brakes and turn then it’s just communicating your intent. If there is no one else around then there is no one to communicate to. Personally, I watch the movement and the angle of the car to anticipate what they plan to do.

Last edited by Velvet; 05-19-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Are you saying you turn on a directional to enter your driveway?
I do, because it is wise to do, and it developes a good habit pattern.
I don’t agree with some drivers who feel it is up to them to choose when to use turn signals or not.
I believe turn signals show our intensions to other drivers in our immediate vicinity.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
If you have someone behind you and you are going to apply the brakes and turn then it’s just communicating your intent. If there is no one else around then there is no one to communicate to. Personally, I watch the movement and the angle of the car to anticipate what they plan to do.
You can still get a "failure to signal" ticket even if there is nobody around.
I always signal, whether it's to turn or change lanes. Even when entering the roundabouts I signal my future intent, so's others can hopefully see what I want to do..it's a habit, second nature.
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 05-19-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

When I was learning to drive I was always told to watch out for the other guy......when I got here I found many that are here believe they are the other guy and expected me to watch out for them. Which is why they never cause accidents.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
exiting, round, simple, drivers, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.