Round-abouts again

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2019, 07:09 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie1944 View Post
The best rule, if you can only remember one, is NEVER switch lanes while in the circle.

Almost correct................in the left lane (inside lane) entering the circle, if you want to exit at the third exit.......you will cross the outside lane.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:11 AM

Funnel all traffic into one lane. No right turns from left lane.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:11 AM

Whoever made the exiting rules is an idiot if your in the right lane u must take the first exit you should not be allowed to continue around too the second or third exit
Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default round a bouts

that's great except TV has some lined where you can turn right from both lanes. messes everybody up
Old 05-20-2019, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase4 View Post
I lived in England for seven years, they have Roundabouts all over the place, an traffic moves easily. The Biggest thing is their Roundabouts are designed for safe driving, No curbs, hard angles when entering or exiting, good line of sight. Village Roundabouts are just designed incorrectly. There are a few in Maryland and they also are of bad design. Use Google Maps of other map program and look at roads in the UK. There are even some Doubles.

We also drive on the correct side of the road!!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamckennon View Post
Funnel all traffic into one lane. No right turns from left lane.
That would cause huge traffic back ups. There are very few accidents and very few awful accidents in traffic circles because people mostly do slow down and take care. It is new people that give the most hue and cry.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:35 AM

Using turn signals whether staying in or exiting the roundabout is the best solution. Why keep your intentions a secret? People complain about a lack of communication, here's one example! It really comes down to laziness and being inconsiderate of others!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I agree, traffic would move along more briskly if signals were used. You sit there trying to guess who is going to turn as the traffic builds up behind you.
Signaling only gives you a warning ( of what might occur) not a go -a -head . Assume nothing and check everything
Old 05-20-2019, 07:50 AM

It can be really confusing, especially when some of the circles allow the right lane to go completely around and others don’t. How many drivers remember the meaning of a solid line v. a dotted?

Signaling can help assuming others are paying attention. Also, people should remember that YIELD doesnt mean STOP.

Bottom line: brush up on the rules of the road and use common sense, which unfortunately is not so common.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkilduff View Post
Whoever made the exiting rules is an idiot if your in the right lane u must take the first exit you should not be allowed to continue around too the second or third exit
That makes all right hand lanes on Morse and BV right-turn-only lanes. Not gonna happen.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 AM

agree 100% , must use use directionals in the roundabouts..
Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Well I guess if we are going to rehash this topic again.... it's worth repeating Sumter Co. has a nice guide that tax dollars paid for on how to drive in roundabouts. I would assume it was written by the "experts".(The professional type.... not the TOTV type)

Here is a link:

https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
This was terrific! Thanks!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:08 AM

There are lots of "rotaries" in the northeast. This concept is not that rare for a lot of us. The big difference is that you can change lanes in a "rotary" but not in a "roundabout". So you only exit form the right lane in a rotary as you merge to the outer lane before you exit. In a roundabout you are required to cross the outer lane from the inner lane to exit. That is the most critical point of conflict.

I think the "rotary" makes more sense and would resolve a lot of this but you would have to change every traffic circle throughout the Villages at the same time.

Last edited by BostonRich; 05-20-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

MY driving habits include NEVER (NOT EVER!) drive BESIDE another vehicle close to, or inside a TV Roundabout. I will say NEVER yet again. One never knows the intention of that other driver. Defensive driving is the smart move. BTW I don't trust turn signals much (or lack thereof).

Also I try to NEVER stay in another driver's blindspots when driving roads or highways. Other drivers movements are uncertain when they see you, more hazardous when they don't.

Defensive driving with constant checks of surroundings - mirrors and swivel-head. Always anticipating and knowing where you can go if another driver cuts you off etc...
Old 05-20-2019, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
...NEVER (NOT EVER!) drive BESIDE another vehicle close to, or inside a TV Roundabout...
There ya go.
Closed Thread

Tags
exiting, round, simple, drivers, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.