Round-abouts again

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsmm View Post
If TV would structure their roundabouts like Hilton Head Island, we wouldn’t have these problems. They have definite right turn lanes with concrete ‘barriers’ in the pavement (no crossing lanes) so you must turn right. If you’re going to the next ‘exit, you’re in the inner lane and will easily make the turn. Also, they should reverse the resident/non-result dent entrances at the the gates. I know that messes up the guardhouse attendant, but....The roundabouts here are crazy...the drivers crazier!
Disney ride safety? Those already in the rab have the right of way! Don't change lanes in a rab ! If you're unsure of someone's intentions, are go around again, what's the hurry?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:30 AM

If people would just stay in their lane, driving would be safer. You don't make a right turn from the left lane or a left turn from the right lane on a regular road. Don't do it in a roundabout. Follow the signs and arrows.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:53 AM

I wish people would use their turn signals ALL THE TIME.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

turn signals. I agree
Old 05-20-2019, 10:23 AM

I agree about never positioning your vehicle next to someone in the roundabout. I either speed up or back off so I'm never where I can't move into the other lane if necessary and you have to scan your side view mirrors so you don't cut anyone off. Defensive driving.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:38 AM

This is simple, heed the signage. Left lane-left turn or straight thru. Right lane-right turn or straight thru. Period!!!!! The procedure is the same as at a crossroad. You don’t make a left turn from the right lane and you don’t make a right turn from the left lane. Heed the signs for safety sake.

If your in Australia you can make a right turn from the left lane.

Last edited by daphurm; 05-20-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
MY driving habits include NEVER (NOT EVER!) drive BESIDE another vehicle close to, or inside a TV Roundabout. I will say NEVER yet again. One never knows the intention of that other driver. Defensive driving is the smart move. BTW I don't trust turn signals much (or lack thereof).

Also I try to NEVER stay in another driver's blindspots when driving roads or highways. Other drivers movements are uncertain when they see you, more hazardous when they don't.

Defensive driving with constant checks of surroundings - mirrors and swivel-head. Always anticipating and knowing where you can go if another driver cuts you off etc...
Oh - BTW... I don't want a Golf Cart - in the MM lane - to NOT see me... always try to get out of THEIR blindspot quickly too. Once a golfcart took a very-quick left turn to the postal station from the MM lane --- RIGHT in front of me. If they turned 1/4 second later, I would have run into him. Big PHEW - I don't even know if he EVER saw me. I don't think I had a chance to lay on the horn - if not-should have. I was too stunned and perhaps angry.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:36 PM

That is a good point; however the biggest problem arises when drivers don`t get into the correct lane to make the turn when in the round-about. RIGHT LANE = STRAIGHT AND RIGHT TURNS. LEFT LANE = STRAIGHT AND LEFT TURNS. I have had too many drivers swerve over from the left lane to make a right turn and visa versa while in the round-about. Putting on a blinker when you decide to do this won`t be seen in time.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:51 PM

...so we can agree it’s driver error, and nothing to do with the roundabouts.
If your in the wrong lane, there’s always the next roundabout to correct that, as you would at any crossroad!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimom View Post
I agree about never positioning your vehicle next to someone in the roundabout. I either speed up or back off so I'm never where I can't move into the other lane if necessary and you have to scan your side view mirrors so you don't cut anyone off. Defensive driving.
You should not be changing lanes in the roundabout-period
Old 05-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsmm View Post
If TV would structure their roundabouts like Hilton Head Island, we wouldn’t have these problems. They have definite right turn lanes with concrete ‘barriers’ in the pavement (no crossing lanes) so you must turn right. If you’re going to the next ‘exit, yonner lane and will easily make the turn. Also, they should reverse the resident/non-result du’re in the ient entrances at the the gates. I know that messes up the guardhouse attendant, but....The roundabouts here are crazy...the drivers crazier!

THAT would definitely have solved all the issues residents have regarding these circles.
That can never happen here because the circles are too small circumference-wise and the lanes are too narrow.

Hilton Head was smart in what they did . . . TV -- maybe not so smart???
The idea is good but the actual implementation here could have been better thought out.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Given the non use of signals freely admitted by many on this post
The hundreds of different personal versions of how to navigate a roundabout.
Given the age of many drivers, their slow reaction times, poor eyesight, the amount medicatiion, booze ingested, I am astounded at the numbers who actually survive driving in The Villages.
The Gods must smile on, and watch over this place!
Here, here!!!

Also......Given the non use of signals freely admitted by many on this post........... Let's clarify this statement. Folks are admitting to not using their directionals in RABs, not the regular roadways. On regular roadways with stop signs, traffic lights., turn lanes etc, directionals are used all the time or should I say most of the time. It is very rare that people turn off a regular roadway without signaling using a directional. Then again, yes it does happen sometimes. In fact, hubby calls the brake lights the Florida turn signal.

Last edited by coffeebean; 05-20-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,459 Times in 3,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barvic View Post
Simple rules for approaching a roundabout.
The LEFT lane is for going straight and turning LEFT
The RIGHT lane if for going straight and turning RIGHT

Get it??
ALL exits on roundabouts are right exits. There are no left exits on roundabouts. In order to get out of the roundabout, you have to turn to the right. That's what causes the confusion with two-lane roundabouts in the first place.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
There are lots of "rotaries" in the northeast. This concept is not that rare for a lot of us. The big difference is that you can change lanes in a "rotary" but not in a "roundabout". So you only exit form the right lane in a rotary as you merge to the outer lane before you exit. In a roundabout you are required to cross the outer lane from the inner lane to exit. That is the most critical point of conflict.

I think the "rotary" makes more sense and would resolve a lot of this but you would have to change every traffic circle throughout the Villages at the same time.
Amen. The Villages' version of rotaries are so convoluted because they're not consistent (some are one-lane, some have outer side-drive-throughs, they call a 3/4 turn a "left" turn even though the person entering after you is "going straight" to the same exit and can do so from either lane, etc. etc.)

Rotaries make sense because they're designed to make sense.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmoxies View Post
Disney ride safety? Those already in the rab have the right of way! Don't change lanes in a rab ! If you're unsure of someone's intentions, are go around again, what's the hurry?
If you only have another 10 years worth of life in you, why would you want to spend 8 of them deciding whether or not the person in front of you is taking a left?
Closed Thread

Tags
exiting, round, simple, drivers, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.