Round-abouts again

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2019, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmcgov View Post
Im europe iys a $50 fine for not using a turn signal.
If that was the case here in TV, I would be broke!!!
Old 05-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie1944 View Post
The best rule, if you can only remember one, is NEVER switch lanes while in the circle.
Agree. Also.....do not stop anywhere in the RAB.

Here's another one.....always go in the proper direction in a RAB. I've seen someone driving in the opposite direction of normal circulation. I've heard of that happening but finally saw it for myself about 6 months ago. Poor woman had no idea what she was doing.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesNT View Post
Using turn signals whether staying in or exiting the roundabout is the best solution. Why keep your intentions a secret? People complain about a lack of communication, here's one example! It really comes down to laziness and being inconsiderate of others!
It really isn't laziness, on my part anyway. I'm too busy watching the traffic and I keep both hands on the wheel when I'm navigating a RAB. Plus.....with the amount of times the directional would be used, my mechanic will be replacing said directional much sooner than necessary. I hear the same complaint about how folks have to replace the switch that operates the driver's window because of the excessive use it gets here in TV.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Given the non use of signals freely admitted by many on this post
The hundreds of different personal versions of how to navigate a roundabout.
Given the age of many drivers, their slow reaction times, poor eyesight, the amount medicatiion, booze ingested, I am astounded at the numbers who actually survive driving in The Villages.
The Gods must smile on, and watch over this place!
Yes...which is why TV should have made the traffic circles one single lane. Evidently, confusion and poor judgment are directly proportional to age and drug use...whoda thunk?

One would be an absolute fool to trust a turn signal in a retirement community - especially golf carts. If you disagree, then there is no helping you.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
ALL exits on roundabouts are right exits. There are no left exits on roundabouts. In order to get out of the roundabout, you have to turn to the right. That's what causes the confusion with two-lane roundabouts in the first place.
Yes.
What is so freaking hard to understand?
https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
Steve
Old 05-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
There are lots of "rotaries" in the northeast. This concept is not that rare for a lot of us. The big difference is that you can change lanes in a "rotary" but not in a "roundabout". So you only exit form the right lane in a rotary as you merge to the outer lane before you exit. In a roundabout you are required to cross the outer lane from the inner lane to exit. That is the most critical point of conflict.

I think the "rotary" makes more sense and would resolve a lot of this but you would have to change every traffic circle throughout the Villages at the same time.
What is the difference between a rotary and a RAB? Are the road markings different or are there more lanes than we have here in TV?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
MY driving habits include NEVER (NOT EVER!) drive BESIDE another vehicle close to, or inside a TV Roundabout. I will say NEVER yet again. One never knows the intention of that other driver. Defensive driving is the smart move. BTW I don't trust turn signals much (or lack thereof).

Also I try to NEVER stay in another driver's blindspots when driving roads or highways. Other drivers movements are uncertain when they see you, more hazardous when they don't.

Defensive driving with constant checks of surroundings - mirrors and swivel-head. Always anticipating and knowing where you can go if another driver cuts you off etc...
Agree.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
I wish people would use their turn signals ALL THE TIME.
Not going to happen in a RAB. Sorry.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimom View Post
I agree about never positioning your vehicle next to someone in the roundabout. I either speed up or back off so I'm never where I can't move into the other lane if necessary and you have to scan your side view mirrors so you don't cut anyone off. Defensive driving.
Yes....I always check my passenger side view mirror before exiting a RAB. That alone will prevent a collision.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphurm View Post
You should not be changing lanes in the roundabout-period
I took the "if necessary" to mean to avoid an accident.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:12 PM

Haste makes waste...... accidents will not get you where you were in a hurry to get to...... it’s a retirement community.... slow down , use turn signals, remember the average age at Tv is well above 62. My bifocals might need a tune up. We use roundabouts but also choose alternate routes in times of high traffic. Love TV !!!!!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1701 View Post
If people would just stay in their lane, driving would be safer. You don't make a right turn from the left lane or a left turn from the right lane on a regular road. Don't do it in a roundabout. Follow the signs and arrows.
No the rule in a roundabout is you do exit right from the left lane.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
What is the difference between a rotary and a RAB? Are the road markings different or are there more lanes than we have here in TV?
Rotaries usually don't have any road markings. That probably sounds like a crazy free-for-all but since people are used to them it works just fine. Cars simply merge from one side to the other when it's safe and clear.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:38 PM

How about this:

roundabout-railroad-crossing-jpg

A roundabout with a railroad crossing through the middle of it!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
I know you are probably tired of this issue but let me address something that hasn't been considered very much. Traffic flow would be much smoother, there would be less accidents, and much less confusion if drivers would only do a simple thing. SIGNAL WHEN YOU ARE EXITING THE ROUND ABOUT !!! Why people don't use their turn signals when exiting a round about is a wonder to me...
I don’t agree with this as the rule is we all yield to the cars in front of us no matter what lane they are in. Besides, we can’t see turn signals while going on a circle in most cases anyway. 😕
Closed Thread

Tags
exiting, round, simple, drivers, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.