Roundabout claims another

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
If you are going south on Buena Vista, you should be in the right lane and exit in the right lane onto Buena Vista. Why would anyone be in the left lane and turn in front of someone in the right lane heading toward El Camino.
Plus... it is perfectly legal to be in either lane to continue south on BV.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:54 PM

The problem is they are to small for two lane travel. there appears to be approx 80ft from entrance to exit at each corner. Traveling at 25mph means you are going about 37 ft per second That gives you 2.1 seconds to merge safely in or out of the circle. Most 2 lane circles I've encountered are 10 times the size and they work. But for that small a circle one lane around would be safer.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:01 PM

Problem is usually turning left from the right lane. Trying to change lanes in the circle is another problem. Additional signage might help, particularly for people who are "new" to them.

We had them all over in the county north of Indianapolis. At least these here are virtually the same. In Indy, they varied in diameter and number of lanes, never more than two. They also would stack them back to back in limited access interchanges. In every case, when traffic volume is low, there were no problems. As traffic increased, even the largest would back up for long distances. In that case, they are better than a stop sign, but not as good as a light.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
While using left lane to got straight through is perfectly legal, I view it as an unnecessary gamble. I always expect every other person in a roundabout is going to pull a dumbass move.
How is that any different from using the right lane to go straight through. If you have someone in the left lane that decides to take the first exit you're in the same predicament.

When driving in a roundabout you simply have to be aware of everyone and everything surrounding you. I always drive expecting the other guy to do something stupid.

As far as the roundabouts claiming another one, I'd love to see the statistics on how many accidents there are in our roundabouts each year. I also like to see how many accidents there are in The Villages, in general, each year and what percentage of them occur in roundabouts.

Sometimes the perception is different from the reality. I had someone tell me that they are leaving The Villages and moving to Ocala because of the golf cart traffic. He quoted a statistic that said there have been 20 golf cart related deaths in the past nine years. I say that given the fact that we have 130,000 residents, 70,000 golf carts, and traffic from outside of TV coming through every day, that we should be congratulated for our fine safety record. Two deaths per year with all of that traffic, especially considering that we have so many elderly people seems pretty low to me.

Now, of course, every traffic-related death is a tragedy, but to think that with all of these carts on the road along all of the other traffic, that we're going to have zero accidents and zero deaths, is more than a bit unrealistic.

Traffic experts all over the world say that roundabouts are safer and more efficient than four-way intersections. I don't know that the number of traffic accidents would be any different with four-way stops where people can blow stop signs.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
...for that small a circle one lane around would be safer.
Because no one would be moving.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
I think ,that the roundabouts should be one lane, maybe that would help ???
Keep dreaming...............................
Old 06-21-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Roundabout claims another

Actually, it's not the roundabout, it's THE DRIVERS!!!
I also think it wasn't the car that wanted to go east, but also the driver.

As for how to drive a multi-lane roundabout, be careful. Just like any other multi-lane intersection, which lane can go which way depends on the lane use signing and pavement markings.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Platinum member

They are adding traffic circles in New Jersey currently.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
They are adding traffic circles in New Jersey currently.
And Leesburg, FL
Old 06-21-2017, 04:14 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Much ado about nothing. round abouts are easy. Its some driver are too tentative, cautious, etc some creating problems by coming to a complete stop and waiting until they are sure no other cars are navigating the round about.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Default Roundabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
If you are going south on Buena Vista, you should be in the right lane and exit in the right lane onto Buena Vista. Why would anyone be in the left lane and turn in front of someone in the right lane heading toward El Camino.
Your explanation is totally wrong! You need to stop at the roundabout and actually look at the signage and learn how to drive a roundabout. If you're coming off of El Camino and going to head south on Buena Vista, you have to be in the left lane to be legal! If you're coming from the country club going to El Camino you can be in either the right or the left lane to be legal. If you're coming southbound on Buena Vista wanting to go to El Camino, you have to be in the left lane to be legal. But if you are going more than half around the roundabout you have to be in the left lane to be legal in any roundabout in the villages!
Old 06-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Gold member

The problem with roundabouts is they are new and drivers are not familiar with their layout.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 PM
Gold member

Read it again. The driver is heading SOUTH on BV in the LEFT LANE. He has a choice between the left or right lane. The driver that him also was driving south next to him and was in the RIGHT LANE. That person had just two options in that lane. ONE, enter onto the road that goes into Glenview CC or TWO keep heading south on BV. He decided he neither. From the RIGHT LANE he wanted to continue onto El Camino.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:53 PM
Gold member

There is NO PROBLEM changing lanes in the circle or roundabout. Why? Because your NOT supposed to be changing lanes in the roundabout in the first place. You are supposed to already be in the correct lane as you approach.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:56 PM
Gold member

Yes, you explained it perfectly. Thank God I have DAN NEWLIN riding in my car with me every day. He is also called a DASHCAM.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, years, lane, roundabout, hit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.