Was it like this for you?

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Sage
Default Was it like this for you?

CFrance is new to TV, two days here, and just posted something about a contractor. In the post it was mentioned that their Visa card was overheating.... Gave me a good laugh and a warm, fuzzy feeling, actually. I remember when we first moved into our new house. Everything was brand new and fresh...BUT, there seemed to be a few things missing and I set out on a mission.....some things in this part of Florida were so unique and wonderful and I could absolutely see how we would benefit from them.
Was it like that for you? My credit card company was THRILLED .... we were busy getting things, having things done, noticing that some of the things we brought with us, well,..... just weren't ....right, here.

So often when new posters state they're coming down for a visit, many of us chime in to let them know they should bring a checkbook because they WILL make a home purchase....now maybe we'd also better advise new owners to bring along more that one credit card...one to use while the other is cooling off....

By the way, welcome home CFrance.....ENJOY!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Veteran member
Default I remember that one!

Even though we bought a turnkey we had to make it ours, right! Boy between pictures and housewares etc.etc.in the one month we were down we had spent our 3 month budget. Then the next year we did the reno and landscaping and I am hoping that things will settle down after we finish the front. I know that the attic stairs, attic fan and a few other things are in DH's mind, but I am hoping he is so busy having fun that he forgets about them for awhile. Yep, there are lots of places to spend your dollars in and around TV ...many things for many people. But isn't it fun!!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Platinum member

Newbies should also notify their credit card company of their move and that there will be a lot of activity on their card. Some neighbors were shut off after their 3rd purchase because the cc company thought the card was stolen.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Newbies should also notify their credit card company of their move and that there will be a lot of activity on their card. Some neighbors were shut off after their 3rd purchase because the cc company thought the card was stolen.
Been there, had that done.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Oh, so true! One more thing to remind them of, thank you.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Sage
Default Oy my aching wallet

I think I'm going to need at least 2 credit cards. No, make that three! Replacing a whole house can't be cheap these days. What have I gotten myself into?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I think I'm going to need at least 2 credit cards. No, make that three! Replacing a whole house can't be cheap these days. What have I gotten myself into?
It will be fun, without a doubt. There are so many places to get the furniture and things you want for your new home....furniture stores, consignment shops, items for sale here on TOTV..take your time, don't feel rushed.... and savor every minute of it...you'll meet some mighty nice people while you're filling up your new space.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default We had the feeling...

we were bleeding money!

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
we were bleeding money!
"Spending money like drunken sailors on shore leave"!!!

Bill
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default Thanks goodness we're retired

I am the one with the overheated credit card. We each drove our cars down from PA. Yesterday, while spending our brains out, we heard a knocking starting in the front end of my husband's car. I said, "You know what? Who needs two cars! Park that thing in the garage and we'll have it fixed in May."

Here's hoping we've recovered from our purchases by May
Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Sage

Isn't it funny that you can always count on your car needing something when you can't possibly spend any more??
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I said, "You know what? Who needs two cars! Park that thing in the garage and we'll have it fixed in May."

That's funny! Sounds like a plan to me!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

We've been down here permanently for about 3 months now. I feel like we are bleeding money. The most difficult part for me was not having a good handle on our expenses because of all the "one time" purchases we were making. Combined with the new reality of no paycheck ever again, I found it a bit stressful. But now, things have calmed down considerably. We are getting into our Villages routine and I see that my original budget is going to be pretty accurate.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

brostholder, I know exactly what you mean. We are closing on our new home the end of February, second one, and the last one I hope. I thought the bleeding stopped after the 1st one. Nope, new vein opened up. We had our budget in line with the other one, now we have to start all over again and hope to have a light at the end of the tunnel in a couple of months.
I took an accounting course, many moons ago, and the instructor had a paper stuck in his desk drawer which he said he would look at it as a reminder, and it said "If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall". Basic, but oh so very true!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Which year?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.