Roundabout question

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 PM

on 12/6 GOODGRIEF WROTE "I did force him into a single lane at one point Made my day cause I caught up with him and rode through in the left lane right next to him keeping him in his lane Teach by showing HAH."

So if he is at fault, did you expect him to repair your automobile???

That may have been a very expensive lesson for YOU!

The No Fault provision is essentially an agreement between the Insurance Companies and the Florida Legislature. Under the provision, Insurance Companies are required to provide a certain level of coverage for their insured if they are involved in an automobile accident, regardless of fault. In exchange, a victim of an auto-accident can only bring a claim against an at-fault party if they have sustained a permanent injury.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_TN View Post
As I think about this, I think in the future when I want to go straight thru the roundabout, I'm gonna try to be in the inside lane. That will force me to use Russ's rule about not entering when either lane is occupied and will give me the option of making another revolution with no worries if somebody does come up beside me and I'm not feeling good about whether they're gonna exit with me or keep going around...

I love it when a plan comes together
Your thinking is right, but not everybody who comes up beside you in the outside lane is thinking.

I always wait until there are no cars in either lane in the circle to my left before entering. But what's happened various times is that if I enter the rotary in the inside lane intending to go straight (thru) it, a car in the outside lane and slightly beside or behind me decides to cut to the left in front of me or almost t-boning me as I'm about to exit at 12 o'clock. That's why I use the outer lane for entering at 6 o'clock and exiting at 12 o'clock....some bozo often enters at 6 or 3 o'clock intending to exit at 9 o'clock and they cut across your straight-bound exit at 12. It's a heart stopper when they decide to turn left from the right (outer) lane.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzangrilli View Post
Every roundabout has a green sign just before you enter. Right lane to turn right or go straight, left lane to turn left or go straight. 20 Mph speed limit sign also, well before entering. Pretty simple.
Not all that simple. If you enter the inside lane at 6:00 and are going to take the 2nd exit and someone enters the outside lane at 3:00 and wants to take their second exit, they are going to be on your right when you want to turn right. You'd better be aware that they are there and be very careful before exiting the round about.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Not all that simple. If you enter the inside lane at 6:00 and are going to take the 2nd exit and someone enters the outside lane at 3:00 and wants to take their second exit, they are going to be on your right when you want to turn right. You'd better be aware that they are there and be very careful before exiting the round about.
While I agree that care must be taken in this situation ... the person entering at 3:00 would be at fault should they cause an accident as they would have crossed the dashed white center line without a clear right of way.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
While I agree that care must be taken in this situation ... the person entering at 3:00 would be at fault should they cause an accident as they would have crossed the dashed white center line without a clear right of way.
If you look at it that way, The person on the left has also crossed a dashed white center line.

There are two white dashed center lines at each entrance and exit. One that continues around the round about and another that goes to the street on is exiting to.

In my opinion, this problem could be solved by restricting use of the outside lane to vehicles using the first exit.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
In my opinion, this problem could be solved by restricting use of the outside lane to vehicles using the first exit.
While that is true, it would simply move the problem to the streets approaching the roundabout. Imagine the jockeying for the left lane before the roundabout, especially during the high season. Do you think those that are blocked from the right lane by other traffic are going to turn right and not try to go straight ahead? And, if people can't/won't follow the directions on the signs, or wait until both lanes are clear before entering the roundabout, what makes you think they will honor the right/outside lane must turn right rule?

Really, the only thing you can do is to navigate them properly and watch out for those that are unwilling to follow the rules of the road, same as you do elsewhere
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
If you look at it that way, The person on the left has also crossed a dashed white center line.

There are two white dashed center lines at each entrance and exit. One that continues around the round about and another that goes to the street on is exiting to.

It is not a matter of how I look at it ... it is a matter of legal right of way. A dashed white center line may be crossed ONLY if it is "clear". If a person entering a roundabout in the inside lane crosses a dashed white line into the path of a vehicle, they would be at fault. Just as a vehicle in the outside lane making a "left" crosses a dashed white line, into the path of a vehicle in the inside lane (who is legally exiting the roundabout) .... they would be at fault.

Their are roundabouts in TV that have solid white lines at entrance / exit points. In this case the outside lane NEVER has a legal right to cross that solid line. This forces a vehicle in the outside lane to legally remain there and turn at the first exit. The Springdale roundabout is one example of this.

Naturally, all of this is "legalities" ..... and you can be completely in the legal right of way and be involved in an accident caused by the uninformed, careless and clueless. I watch people all around me while in a roundabout like a hawk, ALWAYS use a blinker when exiting and NEVER take for granted anyone around me will do what they are "legally" required to do.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Can't happen. That second car (the one at 3:00) could not enter the circle since they MUST yield. You already said the car at 6:00 was in the circle.

This is the whole problem in a nutshell. You must yield to ALL traffic before entering. Don't see why people keep putting up scenarios that involve someone not following rule 1.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Can't happen. That second car (the one at 3:00) could not enter the circle since they MUST yield. You already said the car at 6:00 was in the circle.

This is the whole problem in a nutshell. You must yield to ALL traffic before entering. Don't see why people keep putting up scenarios that involve someone not following rule 1.
Now Russ, you know the answer to that question.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:05 PM

This whole roundabout talk is just a circle! It won't change folks. Learn it, live it or die from it. It's your choice!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:11 PM

After reading an unbelievable 70 posts on this, yes some of them mine, I think I've found the nib of gist, as they say. (Well someone said it.)

Early on someone said TV was required to build two lane round abouts because of the county. As I look at how small they are, and how the turns are allowed, this seems to be the problem. They should be single lane and that would avoid all confusion. (But apparently it isn't possible.) I just reviewed several of them on Google Maps, and as it clearly shows you can enter at 6 oclock in the right lane, and keep going on north, but the person in the inside lane coming around toward you can turn right into 3 oclock from that left lane. That is still crazy, and as many people has advised, the only thing you can do is make sure no one is coming when you enter. Of course, what do you do when two cars enter together from 6 oclock and the right hand car plans to go straight and the left hand guy intends to turn right from the left lane.

Mr. Chairman, I move all discussion on this issue cease and we move to an immediate vote...and discuss other sillier subjects. "Is there a second?"
Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=OldDave;591416
Of course, what do you do when two cars enter together from 6 oclock and the right hand car plans to go straight and the left hand guy intends to turn right from the left lane.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, you still don't understand. In the example above with two cars entering at 6 o'clock, the car on the inside lane CANNOT exit at 3 o'clock. That car has only two choices, exit at 12 o'clock (straight through) or continue around to exit at 9 o'clock.

But your point about not entering the roundabout until there is not traffic coming from you left in either lane is spot on and perhaps the most critical to safely navigate them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.