Roundabout question

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Question Roundabout question

I recently had a close (very close) encounter at a local roundabout. The other driver was extremely angry with me and I have been thinking about the event ever since. I thought I was doing the right thing but now am not so sure.

I intended to go straight through the roundabout. I entered using the inside lane and was about to exit using the inside lane. That's where the close encounter took place. The other driver was on my right in the outside lane and was slightly behind me. I didn't see her in my blind spot. She evidently intended to continue around the roundabout in the outside lane to another exit point.

Fortunately no one was hurt nor any damage done. But I have been wondering about this ever since. In the meantime, I only go straight through a roundabout in the outside lane.

So, if going straight through a roundabout using the inside lane, do you have to yield to someone to your right when exiting?

I hope I explained this clearly and would appreciate any advice. I try very hard to be a safe and considerate driver. It was very upsetting to me to be yelled at and I certainly don't want to be the cause of any accidents.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 PM

Hi

I just moved here and have had the same thing happen to me so I hope someone answers this question. I understood your question completely. I just drive really slow in the roundabouts and try to do everything slowly, looking everywhere. I, too, have had some unpleasant people make gestures, etc. I would like for all of them to remember that they were new here once too and maybe had the same problems we are having. A little kindness goes a long way.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Default roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
Hi

I just moved here and have had the same thing happen to me so I hope someone answers this question. I understood your question completely. I just drive really slow in the roundabouts and try to do everything slowly, looking everywhere. I, too, have had some unpleasant people make gestures, etc. I would like for all of them to remember that they were new here once too and maybe had the same problems we are having. A little kindness goes a long way.
If you're in the inside lane, you can either go straight or 3/4 of the way around the roundabout. If you're in the outside lane, you can either take the first exit on your right or you can go straight (but not 3/4). Alot of people think they know how to drive in the roundabouts and they honk at people even when they're in the wrong. The signs entering the roundabouts even show how to use them, but people apparently don't pay attention to them. Gets worse at snowbird time.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
I intended to go straight through the roundabout. I entered using the inside lane and was about to exit using the inside lane. That's where the close encounter took place. The other driver was on my right in the outside lane and was slightly behind me. I didn't see her in my blind spot. She evidently intended to continue around the roundabout in the outside lane to another exit point.
Your scenario is exactly why I prefer to use the outside lane whenever I’m going “straight through” a roundabout. However, you were not at fault, the other driver was at fault. She was either going further around in the outside lane than she should have, or else she didn’t yield to both lanes of traffic and stagger herself far enough behind you when she entered the roundabout.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Default Roundabouts

There are flyers available that explain the roundabouts. The signs before the roundabouts also diagram what each lane can do. I believe you (Joanniesmom) were correct. However, I always drive very defensively in the roundabouts and do not trust any driver there. If you notice the sign. When entering the roundabout, you would definitely use the outside lane if going immediately right or the first exit. If you are going straight, you can use either the inside or outside lane and exit in the straight/second exit - the brochure sates not to change lanes. If there is someone on the right, they should really be going right..unless they entered the roundabout from that first exit. However, they would not be that close to you as no one should enter the roundabout until all traffic is clear, so would have been farther behind you and watching you. If you are turning left or taking the third exit from the roundabout, you would definitely need to be in the inside lane.
Hope this is not too confusing. If you can find those roundabout flyers...it would help. I believe they are usually available at the rec centers in the information holder. I have seen them at Sea Breeze a few months ago. I keep them handy to give to company, so they are not too confused. Either way, for sure drive defensively. Don't think the other drivers really know the rules. I can make a .pdf file or the flyer and e-mail it if you send me your e-mail address. You can pm that to me. I don't know how to pm, but if you do, am sure it will get to me. Bottom line, from what you explained to me, you were driving correctly.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Those are the correct answers, however, this thread will not end here. Roundabout threads occur approximately every 6 months, there will be over 50 posts with nearly as many different ways to use a roundabout..................................opco rn:
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Those are the correct answers, however, this thread will not end here. Roundabout threads occur approximately every 6 months, there will be over 50 posts with nearly as many different ways to use a roundabout..................................opco rn:
lol This is true!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Sage

I've had the same thing happen to me many times, Joaniesmom. In a nutshell, the driver slightly behind you in the outside lane was going to make a Left Turn from the Right Lane!

Now, just what would happen if you were at a Stop light or Stop sign, and she made a left turn from the right hand lane?? Everyone knows this is wrong and would be cited by the police. But here, for some reason, some drivers think they can turn left from the right-hand lane and cut across your lane in front of you as you are exiting properly from the roundabout to go straight in the same direction as you were before entering it. They are wrong!

Like you, I always stay in the outer lane if heading straight thru the roundabout. And if I'm going to turn Left, I get into the LEFT lane upon entering the circle. I've had flashbacks as you have, replaying those almost-collisions in which we assumed the other driver has some common sense. But some don't.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I recently had a close (very close) encounter at a local roundabout. The other driver was extremely angry with me and I have been thinking about the event ever since. I thought I was doing the right thing but now am not so sure.

Fortunately no one was hurt nor any damage done. But I have been wondering about this ever since. In the meantime, I only go straight through a roundabout in the outside lane.

So, if going straight through a roundabout using the inside lane, do you have to yield to someone to your right when exiting?

I hope I explained this clearly and would appreciate any advice. I try very hard to be a safe and considerate driver. It was very upsetting to me to be yelled at and I certainly don't want to be the cause of any accidents.
This drawing should help to reassure you that you did it right.
roundabout1-jpg
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 PM

I think you were not at fault. The signs before every roundabout indicate what lane you should use in order to leave the roundabout at the three (generally) exits. If you were going 180 degrees around the circle, you could be in either lane. Assuming the other driver entered the roundabout with you, but in the outside lane, that driver should not have expected to have the 'right-of-way' to continue to the third exit.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
This drawing should help to reassure you that you did it right.
Attachment 7345
Indydealmaker...Thank you for providing the drawing. A picture is worth a thousand words. I was trying to figure out how one would take a left turn in a roundabout. I now understand what was being said. I grew up in MA where there are many roundabouts, which we call rotaries. I do not recall ever seeing signs up there regarding what lane to use. I think if you grow up with it, it almost becomes second nature.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg441 View Post
If you're in the inside lane, you can either go straight or 3/4 of the way around the roundabout. If you're in the outside lane, you can either take the first exit on your right or you can go straight (but not 3/4). Alot of people think they know how to drive in the roundabouts and they honk at people even when they're in the wrong. The signs entering the roundabouts even show how to use them, but people apparently don't pay attention to them. Gets worse at snowbird time.
The problem I see here is if the other driver has entered the roundabout at your first exit. They are then going straight through from their angle. I always look to my right when exiting from the left hand lane and yield to any traffic that is there.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Don't forget to use your turn signals when exiting the roundabouts. That way the person behind you will not be suprised when you "cut across their bow."
Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The problem I see here is if the other driver has entered the roundabout at your first exit. They are then going straight through from their angle. I always look to my right when exiting from the left hand lane and yield to any traffic that is there.
Sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. If the car in the outside lane just entered the circle they would still need to give way to the car in the circle. You stopping to yield to them stops the flow of traffic and could cause a rear ending for you. JMO.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Right or wrong

Quote:
Whichever way a person chooses to negotiate the traffic circles, the most important thing (IMHO) is to use your signals. If I know where a person is going I can work with it, if I have no idea what you are going to do on the road we are both in trouble!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.