Becoming a village agent

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Gold member
Default Becoming a village agent

Is there anyone that can give me some true insight into being a village real estate agent. I have sold real estate here in Michigan for the last 20 years (actually, I took a 5 year break then decided to get back in..in this market...boy, what was I thinking???) If you have ever been an agent there, was it worth the time? Someone told me that you don't need a real estate license..is that true? Just getting some ideas for my future. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
Is there anyone that can give me some true insight into being a village real estate agent. I have sold real estate here in Michigan for the last 20 years (actually, I took a 5 year break then decided to get back in..in this market...boy, what was I thinking???) If you have ever been an agent there, was it worth the time? Someone told me that you don't need a real estate license..is that true? Just getting some ideas for my future. Thanks!

I can see you in real estate!!! You have such an AWESOME personality!

That being said... I don't know... Sorry!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
I can see you in real estate!!! You have such an AWESOME personality!

That being said... I don't know... Sorry!
Wow Angie...that was really nice!! Thank you!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Most if not all Villages agents are licensed real estate agents. However they all work directly for the builder so in Florida it is not required. The other thing I learned is there commission % is very low. I have heard something in the order of .6% vs the normal 6%. But then again they sell lots of homes. They average 6 homes per month per agent. Still lots of hard work for even that amount of sales.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Veteran member
Default License Required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Most if not all Villages agents are licensed real estate agents. However they all work directly for the builder so in Florida it is not required. The other thing I learned is there commission % is very low. I have heard something in the order of .6% vs the normal 6%. But then again they sell lots of homes. They average 6 homes per month per agent. Still lots of hard work for even that amount of sales.
I think you should look up Florida's Licensing laws. IMHO anyone conducting any of the eight services of real estate, for compensation must be licensed by the State of Florida. That would include agents for the developer. Pretty basic lRE Law. Look it up at MyFlorida.com.

I too was a Broker for 20 years, in Florida. Happily retired now!

Welcome aboard,
Old 09-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Platinum member

Trish,

It's my understanding that they work many hours, under pressure. Not from personal experience, but what I have been told. Talk to an agent.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourpar View Post
I think you should look up Florida's Licensing laws. IMHO anyone conducting any of the eight services of real estate, for compensation must be licensed by the State of Florida. That would include agents for the developer. Pretty basic lRE Law. Look it up at MyFlorida.com.

Welcome aboard,
Thanks Fourpar. That is what I figured, it is how we do it in Michigan. I do however think that some of the people that work for builders have some type of exemption. The one consideration I have is, if you work for the Villages and you are not allowed to do any other real estate and become, in essence, an employee and the laws do not require a real estate license it wouldn't make sense to get one. I have no problem with the idea of getting a Florida license if need be. Thanks for the link, I will check it out...and congratulations on getting out of the business at the right time!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourpar View Post

Welcome aboard,
I have read the law and I personally know an agent who does not have a license. He works for the developer and only sells new lots and homes. He can not sell resale homes. When you read that law it is about selling real estate for a broker. One who takes listings from independent sellers. Working directly for a developer in Florida selling their homes you do not need a license. It's like selling your own home, you do not need one.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.