Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Roundabout safety (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/roundabout-safety-37735/)

kb8tpw 04-13-2011 06:14 AM

This video should be widely used by TV safety and traffic education entities extensively, it is very good, compared to the brochure.

Last weekend when the Leesburg bike event was going on some ventured over to TV and while I try to be very kind and courteous to others on the roundabouts, I was forced to blow my horn when a bike came straight into the roundabout that I was already in at a high rate of speed. It's been my experience that watching the other guy (or gal) is the paramount consideration. I have traveled extensively in the UK and feel that a six week stint there would be good basic training for all new TV residents.

ilovetv 04-13-2011 09:37 AM

Not quite

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb8tpw (Post 346422)
This video should be widely used by TV safety and traffic education entities extensively, it is very good, compared to the brochure.

While the video above is good, it does not address the horrible danger of TV roundabouts allowing right turns from BOTH the right and left lanes.......a dangerous setup not found in most other multiple lane roundabouts. Here, drivers in the left lane will cut across in front of a driver in the right lane, to turn right from the left lane. This is insanity. Most roundabouts allow right turns from the right lane only, so that drivers who have chosen the right lane to go 180 degrees (straight) and NOT turn at 90 will not be mowed down by somebody on their left side zooming to turn right, in FRONT of them.

Mikeod 04-13-2011 02:34 PM

Huh! TV does not allow right turns from the left lane in roundabouts. Drivers entering the roundabout in the left lane have to either go straight or 270 to make a left turn. What you may be seeing is a driver who entered in the left lane to go 3/4 of the way around and is exiting at the proper point from the left lane. It is important that other drivers entering the roundabout wait until both lanes are clear before entering, i.e., don't pull into the vacant outside lane when there is a car in the inside lane. You may block them from exiting normally. If you replay the video, you will see they do not enter the roundabout until both lanes are clear.

swrinfla 04-13-2011 02:54 PM

My Dad always reminded me: "Watch out for the other damned fool on the road!"

Very good advice when I was first driving (in Massachusetts, where "Rotaries" were fairly common), and when I moved to The Villages!

Always, always keep a sharp eye out!

SWR
:beer3:

BigLew 04-13-2011 04:32 PM

its all really simple

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod (Post 346522)
Huh! TV does not allow right turns from the left lane in roundabouts. Drivers entering the roundabout in the left lane have to either go straight or 270 to make a left turn. What you may be seeing is a driver who entered in the left lane to go 3/4 of the way around and is exiting at the proper point from the left lane. It is important that other drivers entering the roundabout wait until both lanes are clear before entering, i.e., don't pull into the vacant outside lane when there is a car in the inside lane. You may block them from exiting normally. If you replay the video, you will see they do not enter the roundabout until both lanes are clear.

the white lines in the roundabout do show what is allowed and what is not. You ARE allowed to enter in the left lane and go straight, you will notice that the right lane WILL have a SOLID white line so that it MUST exit in the right lane and cannot continue around! like you've all said...watch out for yourselves because maybe 2 or 3 in 10 know what to do in the roundabout

golfnut 04-13-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgvegas (Post 346028)
Most vehicle accidents in TV occur in the roundabout in front of the Savannah center. Vehicles traveling South in the right lane, cross the left lane to go on to the Savannah, or Camino Real causing collisions with vehicles travelling South in the left lane. The only way to avoid this is to do what was done in my previous city that had the same problem. Build a concrete barrier that would prevent vehicles from turning into the left lane. If someone gets stuck in the left lane because of the barrier, they just have to continue South on Buena Vista until they can make a u turn.
:BigApplause:

Concrete barriers in the roundabouts, now I've heard everything....gn

ceejay 04-13-2011 09:25 PM

Staggering and blinkers are the two most obvious answers!

ilovetv 04-13-2011 09:52 PM

Not allowed, but people do it anyway.....hazardous

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod (Post 346522)

Yes, I see from this brochure linked below, that right turns are not allowed from the left lane when the person entered the roundabout at the same time I have, but they do it anyway.

It has happened to me twice, going southbound on Buena Vista, approaching the Belvedere turn to the right. Twice, I entered the circle in the right lane, intending to go straight (180 deg.) as this brochure linked shows is allowed. But as I came near the right turn at 90 deg., a driver who entered the circle in the left lane--at the same time I did--sped up to turn right from the left lane, in front of me as I intended to go straight.

This is the danger I was talking about above. It's not allowed, but some rabid drivers do it anyway. Newbies need to be aware of this hazard and "Watch out for the other guy".

Roundabout Brochure from DistrictGov.org:
http://www.districtgov.org/images/Wh...INAL070908.pdf

SEE "Going Straight Ahead" in the center bottom half of this brochure page.
"1. APPROACHING: You can be in either lane, unless otherwise marked on roadway or posted.
2. CIRCULATING: Stay to the inside of the circulatory roadway if you entered from the left-hand approach lane, or stay to the outside if you entered from the right-hand approach lane. Do not change lanes.
3. When you have passed the last exit before the one you want, use your right-turn signal and continue to use it through your exit.

swimdawg 04-14-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovetv (Post 346624)
Yes, I see from this brochure linked below, that right turns are not allowed from the left lane when the person entered the roundabout at the same time I have, but they do it anyway.

It has happened to me twice, going southbound on Buena Vista, approaching the Belvedere turn to the right. Twice, I entered the circle in the right lane, intending to go straight (180 deg.) as this brochure linked shows is allowed. But as I came near the right turn at 90 deg., a driver who entered the circle in the left lane--at the same time I did--sped up to turn right from the left lane, in front of me as I intended to go straight.

This is the danger I was talking about above. It's not allowed, but some rabid drivers do it anyway. Newbies need to be aware of this hazard and "Watch out for the other guy".

Roundabout Brochure from DistrictGov.org:
http://www.districtgov.org/images/Wh...INAL070908.pdf

SEE "Going Straight Ahead" in the center bottom half of this brochure page.
"1. APPROACHING: You can be in either lane, unless otherwise marked on roadway or posted.
2. CIRCULATING: Stay to the inside of the circulatory roadway if you entered from the left-hand approach lane, or stay to the outside if you entered from the right-hand approach lane. Do not change lanes.
3. When you have passed the last exit before the one you want, use your right-turn signal and continue to use it through your exit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yikes! I think I'll leave my car in WNY and get a tricycle for transportation in TV. You have me scared to death to drive in those round-abouts.....especially if I have an attack of DBD (Dumb Blond Disease).:icon_wink:

Barefoot 04-14-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimdawg (Post 346688)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yikes! I think I'll leave my car in WNY and get a tricycle for transportation in TV. You have me scared to death to drive in those round-abouts.....especially if I have an attack of DBD (Dumb Blond Disease).:icon_wink:

I felt the same way about roundabouts when I started living in TV. I was terrified and didn't go near one for at least three months. I know it isn't the correct way, but I always wait until there is no-one coming and then stay in the outside lane. And I never stop and back up! :D

swimdawg 04-14-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 346692)
I felt the same way about roundabouts when I started living in TV. I was terrified and didn't go near one for at least three months. I know it isn't the correct way, but I always wait until there is no-one coming and then stay in the outside lane. And I never stop and back up! :D

When you see that tall blond WALKING a lot, you'll know who it is!:D

Taj44 04-14-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod (Post 346070)
Exactly! You should consider the roundabout just like a normal intersection. If you were making a left turn, you wouldn't do it from the right lane (unless you were from some of the cities I have visited!!!). If you were making a right turn, you wouldn't do it from the left lane. If you're going straight through the intersection, you could do it from either lane. This works no matter which road you approach the roundabout on.

The only tricky part is when exiting the roundabout after going 270 degrees around and entering a gate. My habit is to enter the left lane from the roundabout inside lane and then merge to the right to use the resident lane. If someone block me from merging, I just use the visitor lane. No big deal.

But use your turn signals when exiting the roundabout just to eliminate confusion.
:thumbup:

Perfectly stated. I wish everyone could understand those basic concepts.

Russ_Boston 04-14-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceejay (Post 346620)

Staggering your entrance to make sure you are not side by side is a wise choice.

Bill-n-Brillo 04-14-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceejay (Post 346620)

Yes, "staggering while wearing blinkers" (also referred to by some as blinders) is how some people operate a motor vehicle...............:shocked:

Bill :1rotfl:

swimdawg 04-14-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo (Post 346818)
Yes, "staggering while wearing blinkers" (also referred to by some as blinders) is how some people operate a motor vehicle...............:shocked:

Bill :1rotfl:

---------
That tricycle is sounding better and better!:laugh: