Roundabout safety

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Thumbs up Roundabout safety

Most vehicle accidents in TV occur in the roundabout in front of the Savannah center. Vehicles traveling South in the right lane, cross the left lane to go on to the Savannah, or Camino Real causing collisions with vehicles travelling South in the left lane. The only way to avoid this is to do what was done in my previous city that had the same problem. Build a concrete barrier that would prevent vehicles from turning into the left lane. If someone gets stuck in the left lane because of the barrier, they just have to continue South on Buena Vista until they can make a u turn.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Roundabout rules are so very simple. If folks follow them there should never be an accident. There are only 4 and they work.

1. The car in the circle ALWAYS has the right of way. No matter which lane they are in, you do not enter until they are by you.
2. If going 90 degrees enter from the right lane and exit from the right lane.
3. If going 180 degrees enter from either lane and exit from the lane you entered. Enter right, exit right, enter left, exit left.
4. If going 270 degrees always enter from the left lane and exit from the left lane.

If everyone follows those rules there would be no accidents. There are a couple places where they remove the inside lane and force you into the right lane, but if rule 1 is followed that is not an issue either.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Sage

My primary premise: Never travel in a roundabout beside another vehicle. No crashes that way due to someone crossing another vehicle's path.

Bill
Old 04-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Golf Cart Safety

I use my blinker when entering and exiting a round-about because there is a % of people who have never used one or will never learn how to use one
Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Roundabout rules are so very simple. If folks follow them there should never be an accident. There are only 4 and they work.

1. The car in the circle ALWAYS has the right of way. No matter which lane they are in, you do not enter until they are by you.
2. If going 90 degrees enter from the right lane and exit from the right lane.
3. If going 180 degrees enter from either lane and exit from the lane you entered. Enter right, exit right, enter left, exit left.
4. If going 270 degrees always enter from the left lane and exit from the left lane.

If everyone follows those rules there would be no accidents. There are a couple places where they remove the inside lane and force you into the right lane, but if rule 1 is followed that is not an issue either.
Exactly! You should consider the roundabout just like a normal intersection. If you were making a left turn, you wouldn't do it from the right lane (unless you were from some of the cities I have visited!!!). If you were making a right turn, you wouldn't do it from the left lane. If you're going straight through the intersection, you could do it from either lane. This works no matter which road you approach the roundabout on.

The only tricky part is when exiting the roundabout after going 270 degrees around and entering a gate. My habit is to enter the left lane from the roundabout inside lane and then merge to the right to use the resident lane. If someone block me from merging, I just use the visitor lane. No big deal.

But use your turn signals when exiting the roundabout just to eliminate confusion.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Why is the title of this thread Golf Cart Safety?...........gn
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvegas View Post
Most vehicle accidents in TV occur in the roundabout in front of the Savannah center. Vehicles traveling South in the right lane, cross the left lane to go on to the Savannah, or Camino Real causing collisions with vehicles travelling South in the left lane. The only way to avoid this is to do what was done in my previous city that had the same problem. Build a concrete barrier that would prevent vehicles from turning into the left lane. If someone gets stuck in the left lane because of the barrier, they just have to continue South on Buena Vista until they can make a u turn.
Are there stats to back up this statement?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:46 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Two points:

First, unless it is a 'street legal' golf cart, it has no business in a roundabout - stay off the roads and on the multinodal trails.

Second, the 'accidents' mentioned in the original post do not occur on roundabouts. They happen about 100 feet past the roundabout when a car in the right lane tries to make a left turn into the Savahhah Center.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:55 AM

I don't get it. The rules are so simple to understand. Yet, I see as a regular occurrence drivers entering the circle from the right lane cross into the left hand lane of the circle and then back to the right lane to exit the roundabout when they are going 180 degrees straight through.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Gold member

So what do you do when you have a driver coming at you in the round about, meaning he is going the wrong way. Happened to us the other day at Calumet Round About. Luckily we were in right side of lane and he was coming at us in the left lane. He just kept going and luckily hit no one.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikitv View Post
So what do you do when you have a driver coming at you in the round about, meaning he is going the wrong way. Happened to us the other day at Calumet Round About. Luckily we were in right side of lane and he was coming at us in the left lane. He just kept going and luckily hit no one.
Get the license plate and have "The Three Ladies" track 'em down..........

Bill
Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Default Other roundabout rules

Cars should also not change lanes in the roundabouts. And they should stay in one lane or the other. Also, too many people cross the line while driving in the roundabouts, nearly hitting cars next to them. This especially happens coming down Morse towards Sumter Landing when cars are in both lanes. And yes, you can go through either gate. One doesn't have to enter the resident gate....so there is no need to change from the left lane right before the gate. Here is a link I found on this site right after we moved here and it was quite helpful.

Much like the villages brochure on roundabouts:
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/safety/roundabouts/

Video on driving roundabouts:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MywmtskFiiI[/ame]
Old 04-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Get the license plate and have "The Three Ladies" track 'em down..........

Bill
Tee hee.

Kudos to those who said to use your blinker! In all the times we've been to TV, I think I've personally witnessed only one person use a blinker to exit a roundabout. That person is ME.

What's up with so many people not using a turn signal to make a turn?? I don't get it.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Tee hee.

Kudos to those who said to use your blinker! In all the times we've been to TV, I think I've personally witnessed only one person use a blinker to exit a roundabout. That person is ME.

What's up with so many people not using a turn signal to make a turn?? I don't get it.
I do P.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Tee hee.

We do as well....always.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.