Sage
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The Villages Florida

Multi-lane Roundabout
I found it on the same site. click here

Is this what we have?
Modern is not my definition. And maybe this also would be considered modern.

I really haven't studied it the way someone who does this for a living would. It just seems to me that one lane may slow traffic down and be less confusing. This would make it safer.
Nowhere have I seen any documentation what you are supposed to do at the multiple roundabouts with the yellow lines forcing you to ONE LANE, see attached photograph. Perhaps if all of the roundabouts were the SAME it would eliminate some of the confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Roundabout with lines.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	47350  
Old 02-01-2015, 02:56 PM

It is as simple as that- left turn, left lane, right turn right lane, straight on both lanes.

Last edited by annaconner; 02-03-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: incomplete comparison
Old 02-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Sage

If there was just one lane on the right for everyone but emergency vehicles maybe that would speed them up to their destination too. Whenever I hear a siren I look in the mirror and always seem to move to the right as far as I can. I don't remember if that's what I was taught or that's what I read, it's just an automatic response to get out of the way.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
It's been discussed at length on TOTV about the fact that the county highway engineers required the 2-lane roundabouts, because of the high volume of traffic that needs to keep moving.

As for trying to turn left and then scramble to get into the Resident's lane for the gate coming up, that, too has been discussed at length:

Forget about the Resident's lane at that type of entrance, and use the Visitor lane so you can safely stay in the same lane in which you came 3/4 of the way around the circle. Both Visitor and Resident lanes have the gate card readers and the red button to raise the gate.
That is way too simple to understand. How can these roundabout threads continue with such an easy answer.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Maybe a better idea is for someone to contact the Daily Sun and request they run a HUGE good driving campaign on the front page. This would also need to be re-run around March 1st or 2nd when the new wave of seasonals come in. And, continue to run it on occasion, throughout the year for newbies and some of the residents who still don't get the round-abouts. Just my thoughts ...
The Daily Sun had a complete article on roundabouts in Thursday's paper. Trouble was it was hidden in the Recreation New's weekly article called Our Place.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Sage

To those who say a single lane would solve the problems...do you really think that Morse and Buena Vista could function as 2-lane roads? Because if you want the roundabouts to have a single lane, that is what you're asking for. 4 lanes on Morse and Buena Vista would be a total waste and not increase capacity by a single vehicle over 2 lanes if they had to funnel down to one lane to enter the circles.

The threads complaining about the resulting traffic backups, the conflicts caused by the required merging (if Morse and Buena Vista were kept as 4-lane roads), and the enormous delays would dwarf those now complaining about the roundabouts.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:46 PM

Approach a roundabout in the left lane and go around in the inside lane 10 times and exit. Approach the next roundabout in the right hand lane and try to go around 10 times in the outside lane without getting hit. Please post your results.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Just watch the LEO's around the Villages and see how often they use their turn signals.... You might be surprised.
Probably very few percentage. I'm surprised we don't have a lot of Gomer Pyle's trying to make citizens arrests on LEO's for things like that. 😉
Old 02-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Nowhere have I seen any documentation what you are supposed to do at the multiple roundabouts with the yellow lines forcing you to ONE LANE, see attached photograph. Perhaps if all of the roundabouts were the SAME it would eliminate some of the confusion.
You've got that right. Most people that I've seen, just drive over it. The written guidelines just ignore it.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Sage

It is interesting because every article I have seen shows TWO (2) COMPLETE lanes around the roundabouts, so back to my original question why are some for these LINED OUT for the interior lanes????
Old 02-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
It is interesting because every article I have seen shows TWO (2) COMPLETE lanes around the roundabouts, so back to my original question why are some for these LINED OUT for the interior lanes????
Those are lined out where the road you are entering is only one lane. This prevents two vehicles from trying to exit onto a single lane road. You'll see this at the Buena Vista roundabout near Turtle Mound, and the one on Morse near the County Annex before the bridges. There are others but I can't think of them right now. Interestingly the one near the Sarasota range has two lanes even though the Moyer Loop has only one lane.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Sage
Default Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Those are lined out where the road you are entering is only one lane. This prevents two vehicles from trying to exit onto a single lane road. You'll see this at the Buena Vista roundabout near Turtle Mound, and the one on Morse near the County Annex before the bridges. There are others but I can't think of them right now....
Yep. Another example is the roundabout at Morse heading into Lake Sumter Landing.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

With the way TOTV posters moan and groan about the folks who drive too fast and the folks who drive too slow besides the folks who don't know how to navigate a roundabout...can you imagine the threads and posts that would result from the way no one merged properly into the one lane around the roundabout? Oy vey!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Those are lined out where the road you are entering is only one lane. This prevents two vehicles from trying to exit onto a single lane road. You'll see this at the Buena Vista roundabout near Turtle Mound, and the one on Morse near the County Annex before the bridges. There are others but I can't think of them right now. Interestingly the one near the Sarasota range has two lanes even though the Moyer Loop has only one lane.
AHH! I see the point, I had not noticed the SINGLE LANE roads to the side. Very good point, thank you.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
The safest solution is for all vehicles to navigate the roundabouts is by staying in the roundabout outer lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
If you are in the outside lane (the one next to the curb...) then you MUST leave the circle at the very next exit.....no continuing to the next exit in the outside lane.

I understand the frustration of posters who keep repeating valid instructions on how to navigate the roundabouts properly.
However the nature of The Villages is a lot of newbies and renters and seasonal residents.
The above two posts written by two esteemed residents of The Bubble offer conflicting advice.
This is why roundabouts will continue to be dangerous.
If two experienced Frogs disagree, then renters and newbies just can't be expected to always follow the rules.
Many people don't have time to read the signs without stopping at the yield sign - which will only serve to infuriate the drivers behind.
Roundabouts will continue to be driven according to the whim of the driver.
I continue to see people whizzing through the roundabouts without a care or caution in the world.
The only way to survive is to expect the unexpected, slow down, and drive defensively.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.