Roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Probably very few percentage. I'm surprised we don't have a lot of Gomer Pyle's trying to make citizens arrests on LEO's for things like that. 😉
There is no citizen's arrest rule/law in Florida.

I personally believe if there was we would see some improvement in how people drive here in TV.

Having a citizen's arrest dictates one must be able to prove the claim as well as confronting who is accused....face to face. This is where the bravery and bravado of the anonymous shrinks to a whisper or no comment at all!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 02:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
How many deaths have there been in The Villages roundabouts?
How many deaths? I have no idea, but there are accidents caused by people who don't know how to drive around these circles.

Judging by the number of ongoing threads and posts on this subject tells you that everyone drives them differently and therein lies the problem.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:17 AM
Gold member

Best Way? Go by cart!!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Where I moved from, we had one area in the city where roundabouts were installed. There were two lanes of traffic merging into and exiting single lane roundabouts. Contrary to what some may think, during rush hours, the traffic moved smoothly through these roundabouts. Was there some back up of cars at the entrance to the roundabout? Yes. But much less than if you had a stop sign or a light at these intersections. I, too, was surprised that the two lanes to one lane would not have caused a lot more congestion, but it didn't. I wish the authorities would try one at the northern side of TV and see how it works. I think people would be pleasantly surprised. And it would be much less chaotic.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Honestly,I don't believe there's anything that could be done to the round-a-bouts to satisfy everyone.

These are very simple to navigate, just the way they are. There's only a couple simple rules to get through them safely; it's not rocket science. These rules have been beaten to death and posted at every round-a-bout, but we still have the same complaints.

Single lane round-a-bouts would be no different, since one of the overriding rules would still be neglected...YIELD to anyone already in the round-a-bout; both lanes.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Where I moved from, we had one area in the city where roundabouts were installed. There were two lanes of traffic merging into and exiting single lane roundabouts. Contrary to what some may think, during rush hours, the traffic moved smoothly through these roundabouts. Was there some back up of cars at the entrance to the roundabout? Yes. But much less than if you had a stop sign or a light at these intersections. I, too, was surprised that the two lanes to one lane would not have caused a lot more congestion, but it didn't. I wish the authorities would try one at the northern side of TV and see how it works. I think people would be pleasantly surprised. And it would be much less chaotic.
I agree with you, Outlaw. In the last week I have encountered 5 cars mis-navigating the roundabout at the St. James gate--entering at the same time as the car beside it and going 3/4 the way around in the outside lane. You can't fix arrogance, and you can't get to enough of the public to point out what they're doing wrong. The signs obviously are not helping, probably because they are being ignored.

It would take some simple striping to narrow these roads down to one lane going into the roundabout and make the RAB one lane. Everybody exits to the right, and no lane changing. It has been working in Europe forever. Only in big cities do they have roundabouts with more than one lane. And we are not a big city.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
A- the possibility of the powers that be EVER changing a 2 lane roundabout into 1 lane is < slim to none.

B - NO THANKS!! Please keep any and all "test cases" confined to south of 466. We here in the northern hinterlands lead a relatively tranquil life, free of the "problems" that seem to vex so many, so much in the "south"
Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
why the northern side???
Old 02-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I agree with you, Outlaw. In the last week I have encountered 5 cars mis-navigating the roundabout at the St. James gate--entering at the same time as the car beside it and going 3/4 the way around in the outside lane. You can't fix arrogance, and you can't get to enough of the public to point out what they're doing wrong. The signs obviously are not helping, probably because they are being ignored.

It would take some simple striping to narrow these roads down to one lane going into the roundabout and make the RAB one lane. Everybody exits to the right, and no lane changing. It has been working in Europe forever. Only in big cities do they have roundabouts with more than one lane. And we are not a big city.
By euro standards ..... a "city" of 100K is most dif a "big city"
Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
A- the possibility of the powers that be EVER changing a 2 lane roundabout into 1 lane is < slim to none.

B - NO THANKS!! Please keep any and all "test cases" confined to south of 466. We here in the northern hinterlands lead a relatively tranquil life, free of the "problems" that seem to vex so many, so much in the "south"
That brings up an interesting thought. Perhaps because you are built out, there are fewer newbies and everyone has learned the roundabout system.

Maybe when it gets built out around 466A the RAB problems will be fewer. Although we're younger down here, more arrogant and more in a hurry!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,501 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Honestly,I don't believe there's anything that could be done to the round-a-bouts to satisfy everyone.

These are very simple to navigate, just the way they are. There's only a couple simple rules to get through them safely; it's not rocket science. These rules have been beaten to death and posted at every round-a-bout, but we still have the same complaints.

Single lane round-a-bouts would be no different, since one of the overriding rules would still be neglected...YIELD to anyone already in the round-a-bout; both lanes.

This man is WAY smarter than most. I agree with him once again.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
By euro standards ..... a "city" of 100K is most dif a "big city"
Even London only has one multi-lane roundabout, and it just opened last November.

I disagree with you about 100,000 being a big city in Europe. There's 450+ cities with population over 100,000 in Europe.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Gold member

Quote:
The problem here is that people came from areas without roundabouts, and are too set in their ways to adapt.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Angry Simple Traffic Laws

If you can't follow simple traffic signs and traffic laws just stay off the streets. Take your golf cart while traveling in The Villages! Pretty simple fix!! And we won't bring up the subject of stop signs only being a "suggestion!" here!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
The problem here is that people came from areas without roundabouts, and are too set in their ways to adapt.
That's why single lane roundabouts would be better. No way to get confused about which lane to be in to go where.

Yes it should be simple, and yes, the people should read the signs, but they don't. If they did, we wouldn't even be having this discussion for the umpteenth time. So simply stating read the signs and drive accordingly is not working.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.