Roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

The sign says yield not yield right lane or left lane..........why the confusion?
Old 02-04-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The sign says yield not yield right lane or left lane..........why the confusion?
Because no where else in U.S. traffic law are you required to yield to cars that are not in your intended lane.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2918 View Post
Because no where else in U.S. traffic law are you required to yield to cars that are not in your intended lane.
Are you sure?
Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Eternal Member

This is a prime example of defensive driving. Yielding to the traffic in the circle will ensure that one of the cars already in the circle will not take a quick wrong turn and run into YOU.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Are you sure?
Yes, with regard to normal traffic rules (exceptions for funerals, emergency vehicles, etc).
Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Sage
Default Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
This is a prime example of defensive driving. Yielding to the traffic in the circle will ensure that one of the cars already in the circle will not take a quick wrong turn and run into YOU.
Yep.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure?
Quote:
Yes, with regard to normal traffic rules (exceptions for funerals, emergency vehicles, etc).
Do a Google search and you will see examples of yielding to both lanes in multil-lane roundabouts.
Search= "traffic yield sign law to multiple lanes"

Here is one example for Washington state;
At the dashed yield line, look to your left and yield to drivers already in the roundabout. Remember, in a multi-lane roundabout, you must yield to both lanes of traffic
Old 02-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
That's why I drive 10 mph through the RABs.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Do a Google search and you will see examples of yielding to both lanes in multil-lane roundabouts.
Search= "traffic yield sign law to multiple lanes"

Here is one example for Washington state;
At the dashed yield line, look to your left and yield to drivers already in the roundabout. Remember, in a multi-lane roundabout, you must yield to both lanes of traffic
Yes, I meant at multi-lane roundabouts in general, not just at TV's roundabouts.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
That's why I drive 10 mph through the RABs.
Me too and my head swiveling on the lookout in every direction possible.

In 10 years I have been hit twice in the roundabouts. While doing my 10 mph and side swiped by someone not yielding and into the inside lane where I happened to be.

In each case the other driver admitted fault.....it was very obvious to anybody viewing the aftermath positions. And in bot instances the classic answer....I did not see you!!!!

There are far too many near misses daily in every circle.

The supposed premise of needing two lanes to keep the volume of traffic moving which would look impressive in a presentation. Is overwhelmed by the facts of age of the drivers and their varying abilities behind the wheel. The overwhelming number of newbies to the area plus those who are only for short lengths of time hence a very high number who are not familiar with the rules of roundabouts. Add to them the Mario Andretti types that blindly forge ahead.

Many solutions have been offered...all good ones. None proven to work in TV.

Defensive driving and always assume the car next to you will move into your lane, or will not yield, or most certainly will not use their turn signal or give you a break. By doing so you will only have accomplished reducing the odds.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:37 PM

Most people here in TV don't even look both ways when making turns much less able to read and navigate the roundabouts
Old 02-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Two lanes entering would have to merge into one, could be a problem.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:57 PM

So with all the concerns about cars navigating roundabouts, how do those of you that ride motorcycles and bicycles navigate roundabouts? Earlier posts mentioned those famous words that all cyclists have heard one time or other, "I didn't see you". The last time I heard that I was picking myself off the pavement and my Harley was totaled. I don't ever want to do that again. No matter if you're right or wrong, car vs cycle (motor or bi) car ALWAYS wins!

Racine, WI
Elk River, MN
not there yet, but we're working on it - The Villages, FL
Old 02-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Platinum member

ROB's are here. They are here to stay. They are not going to be redesigned. There are rules relative to navigating them. There are signs relative to navigating them. There is striping relative to navigating. There have been articles in the local press relative to navigating them. There are brochures, in color, relative to navigating them. There have been hundreds, maybe thousands, of posts here about (got tired of typing relative) them. The POA. The HOA. etc.

Why do I read the posts you ask. Don't know I answer. I guess I get to know the posters a little better.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Sage

This should be the last word........................

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.