Roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru8 View Post
It even worked in New Jersey.
Where in New Jersey? I lived in Hudson County, Essex County, Gloucester County, Burlington County and Cape May County.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Sage

I believe making it mandatory those in the right (outside) lane have to take the first right you come to and those in the left (inside) lane can go straight or take any right you come to would eliminate confusion and accidents.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

Wow. There has got to be some very rich auto body repair shops in this area due to all of the accidents that happen in TV. I'm beginning to think I just want to drive a golf cart everywhere I go; no, wait, maybe ride a bicycle; no, wait again, maybe walk; heck, I might decide to just be a hermit and stay in the home once I get there.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

Don't fix it if it ain't broken. It's the people that are broken so no matter what is done, there will still be broken people that don't understand, don't care, shouldn't be driving, etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Wow. There has got to be some very rich auto body repair shops in this area due to all of the accidents that happen in TV. I'm beginning to think I just want to drive a golf cart everywhere I go; no, wait, maybe ride a bicycle; no, wait again, maybe walk; heck, I might decide to just be a hermit and stay in the home once I get there.
What is all? 10 a week, 5 a day?
More than area towns, More than "up north".
Old 02-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Don't fix it if it ain't broken. It's the people that are broken so no matter what is done, there will still be broken people that don't understand, don't care, shouldn't be driving, etc, etc, etc.
Now, that says it all.....................
Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Me too and my head swiveling on the lookout in every direction possible.

In 10 years I have been hit twice in the roundabouts. While doing my 10 mph and side swiped by someone not yielding and into the inside lane where I happened to be.

In each case the other driver admitted fault.....it was very obvious to anybody viewing the aftermath positions. And in bot instances the classic answer....I did not see you!!!!

There are far too many near misses daily in every circle.

The supposed premise of needing two lanes to keep the volume of traffic moving which would look impressive in a presentation. Is overwhelmed by the facts of age of the drivers and their varying abilities behind the wheel. The overwhelming number of newbies to the area plus those who are only for short lengths of time hence a very high number who are not familiar with the rules of roundabouts. Add to them the Mario Andretti types that blindly forge ahead.

Many solutions have been offered...all good ones. None proven to work in TV.

Defensive driving and always assume the car next to you will move into your lane, or will not yield, or most certainly will not use their turn signal or give you a break. By doing so you will only have accomplished reducing the odds.
Single lane RABs have been tried and proven not to work in TV?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
billythekid had two accidents in RABs in 10 years...it's broke. I haven't had an accident in 50 years. I almost got clobbered in a RAB last week by someone in the inside lane exiting right in front of me. She was making the FIRST right turn....from the inside lane.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I really like the idea of single lane roundabouts here. Sure, there might be a slowdown at times when merging, but the lack of confusion of those entering and exiting a roundabout should keep that to a minimum.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 PM

One lane roundabouts get my vote. Best idea I have heard in this seemingly never ending discussion(been going on for the 7 years I have lived here).
Old 02-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
...single lane roundabouts here. Sure, there might be a slowdown at times when merging...
That doesn't even begin to describe the chaos that would result. Traffic volume and road capacity matters...greatly.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Favorite Plumber View Post
So with all the concerns about cars navigating roundabouts, how do those of you that ride motorcycles and bicycles navigate roundabouts? Earlier posts mentioned those famous words that all cyclists have heard one time or other, "I didn't see you". The last time I heard that I was picking myself off the pavement and my Harley was totaled. I don't ever want to do that again. No matter if you're right or wrong, car vs cycle (motor or bi) car ALWAYS wins!
I speed up so that when I navigate the RABs, my knee just barely touches the roadway in the turn.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
That doesn't even begin to describe the chaos that would result. Traffic volume and road capacity matters...greatly.
And why are you so certain that chaos would result? Europe has had RABs since the automobile was invented. Most of them are one or two lanes merged into a single RAB lane. They seem to do just fine.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
And why are you so certain that chaos would result? Europe has had RABs since the automobile was invented. Most of them are one or two lanes merged into a single RAB lane. They seem to do just fine.
I think there would be less confusion because there's only one choice. Get in one lane, get into the RAB in that lane, exit the RAB from that lane.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think there would be less confusion because there's only one choice. Get in one lane, get into the RAB in that lane, exit the RAB from that lane.
Ooo. I'm not sure that would work well, CF.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.