Roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2015, 10:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
It's the people that are broken so no matter what is done, there will still be broken people that don't understand, don't care, shouldn't be driving, etc, etc, etc.

Exactly.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Sage
Default Roundabouts

A couple more comments, then I'll bow out of this thread...

Examples of working single lane roundabouts are useless unless specifics are compared...traffic volumes, geometrics, nature of approaching roads, design speeds, street network in the vicinity of the roundabout(s), and much more.

In TV, I believe Buena Vista is 4-lane for its entire length. Morse is 4-lane for almost it's entire length, with only a short section in the older areas being 2-lane. Making the roundabouts 1-lane would reduce the capacity of Buena Vista and Morse to that of a 2-lane road throughout TV, even a bit less because of reduced speed in the roundabouts and recurring, frequent merge areas that would be required.

Picture peak season traffic in The Villages. Now picture that peak season with all roads in TV (which pass through a roundabout) being in effect only 2-lanes, only worse because of constant merging. That increased congestion is the 'chaos' I referred to. Sorry if I overdramatized a bit. [emoji4]

Last edited by Polar Bear; 02-06-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The fact of the matter is that nothing moves more smoothly than Morse north of 466. Granted, it is only one lane in each direction.
It is noteworthy that each merging village coming on to Morse has a stop sign before you can enter.
Even more noteworthy than that, you hardly hear of an accident because of this arrangement.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:42 AM

POLAR BEAR is the only person qualified on this forum, in regards to roundabouts. Just a few weeks ago, a golf cart turned left into oncoming traffic, and was killed.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Sage
Default Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipcovers View Post
POLAR BEAR is the only person qualified on this forum, in regards to roundabouts. Just a few weeks ago, a golf cart turned left into oncoming traffic, and was killed.
Really? I grew up driving on roundabouts in the Boston area (and other cities) since I was 16. Let's see that gives me 50 years experience on them. And I've not had an accident on one. Unlike some of the fruit loops driving on them here. No offense intended Polar.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Ironically, this thread is a little like the round-a-bouts....around and around and going nowhere and nothing changes.

Bottomeline: The RAB's are here to stay and in their current 2 lane configurations. These are the safest types of intersections possible! If you don't believe that, go do a little research into traffic safety.

There would be far more accidents (serious accidents), should the RAB's be converted to 4 way stops or traffic lights.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Ironically, this thread is a little like the round-a-bouts....around and around and going nowhere and nothing changes.

Bottomeline: The RAB's are here to stay and in their current 2 lane configurations. These are the safest types of intersections possible! If you don't believe that, go do a little research into traffic safety.

There would be far more accidents (serious accidents), should the RAB's be converted to 4 way stops or traffic lights.
And the traffic would likely slow considerably. Good post!
Old 02-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
A couple more comments, then I'll bow out of this thread...

Examples of working single lane roundabouts are useless unless specifics are compared...traffic volumes, geometrics, nature of approaching roads, design speeds, street network in the vicinity of the roundabout(s), and much more.

In TV, I believe Buena Vista is 4-lane for its entire length. Morse is 4-lane for almost it's entire length, with only a short section in the older areas being 2-lane. Making the roundabouts 1-lane would reduce the capacity of Buena Vista and Morse to that of a 2-lane road throughout TV, even a bit less because of reduced speed in the roundabouts and recurring, frequent merge areas that would be required.

Picture peak season traffic in The Villages. Now picture that peak season with all roads in TV (which pass through a roundabout) being in effect only 2-lanes, only worse because of constant merging. That increased congestion is the 'chaos' I referred to. Sorry if I overdramatized a bit. [emoji4]
I don't think that you're over dramatizing at all. The idea of one lane round abouts on four lane roads is absurd.

The round abouts work well and are simple to navigate.

If you get the online news that we are not allowed to mention, every so often you'll see reports of car accidents. Very few, none that I can recall, in fact, of these accidents have happened at round abouts. Most seem to be at the intersections of Morse and 466, 466a and Buena Vista and 466 and 466A.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Really? I grew up driving on roundabouts in the Boston area (and other cities) since I was 16. Let's see that gives me 50 years experience on them. And I've not had an accident on one. Unlike some of the fruit loops driving on them here. No offense intended Polar.
I too am from Boston, and drive rotary everyday. However, Polar Bear has an engineering degree in traffic management, I believe, so I will trust his opinion. POLAR, am I correct?
Old 02-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
The fact of the matter is that nothing moves more smoothly than Morse north of 466. Granted, it is only one lane in each direction.
It is noteworthy that each merging village coming on to Morse has a stop sign before you can enter.
Even more noteworthy than that, you hardly hear of an accident because of this arrangement.

Someone was killed there just two weeks ago. In a golf cart. They turned left in front of an oncoming car.

I think the fact that few serious accidents occur in roundabouts (In fact I can't remember any serious accidents in roundabouts in eight years) probably because people are very, VERY, wary. AND wary is better than cocky.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
You're kidding, right? Yes, the traffic on Morse moves smoothly. But the people waiting at those stop signs to enter Morse below Rio Grande have an awful time trying to get out. At this time of year, Morse is a constant stream of traffic. I've frequently seen solid lines of traffic from the San Marino light south way past the postal station. I've seen backups from the gate at 466 filling both lanes almost back to 466 while the two lanes go through the gate and merge into one lane. And similar lines of cars going south from Rio Grande.

Sure the traffic on Morse flows well, but it's hell for those trying to get onto it from their neighborhoods.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Sage
Default Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipcovers View Post
I too am from Boston, and drive rotary everyday. However, Polar Bear has an engineering degree in traffic management, I believe, so I will trust his opinion. POLAR, am I correct?
Yeah. I do, slipcovers. And thanks for your vote of confidence. [emoji4]

But I do understand that everybody has their own experience and opinions regarding roundabouts. To many they are new and unusual, take some getting-used-to, and tend to elicit strong emotions.

Now I'm bow out again...and I really mean it this time[emoji844][emoji6]
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Wasn't there a death on Morse just recently?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Wasn't there a death on Morse just recently?
Yes. A golf cart turned directly into a car.
The man probably shouldn't have been driving anything.
I believe he was in his 80s.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
The subject has changed so I guess Bogie was right. He's always right!

Oh yeah, without the gates, golf carts don't stand a chance, especially during snowbird season.

Walter -- let's not lose sight of the fact that cars have the right of way.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.