Roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
How many deaths have there been in The Villages roundabouts?
At 20 mph? Even if someone goes around counter clock-wise, has a head on, my guess is none
How many fender benders? Do they keep those records?

I don't have any trouble navigating the circles. Circles are quite common where I am from but I don't want even a fender bender if they are confusing for others.

Since they seem to be a sore spot with this tiny per centage of the population my hunch is that it might be a problem with many others.

I like how something as trite as a circle, raking a trap, or why a scotch on the rocks cost more then a scotch straight up can be discussed at great length. To me, it's a sign that for most of us; Life is Good.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
What about having only 1 lane? It's called a Modern Roundabout

What is a Modern Roundabout?

The Villages Florida

Simply stated, a modern roundabout is a transportation management tool that moves traffic through an intersection without the aid of traffic signals. More specifically, a modern roundabout is an intersection with one-way circulation around a central island where entering traffic must yield the right-of-way to the traffic circulating within the roundabout.

A modern roundabout should not be confused with traffic rotaries or circles, which are much larger, with higher speeds and multiple lanes for entering and exiting. As traffic volumes increase, collisions and traffic jams can occur because vehicles are not required to yield to traffic before entering.

Traffic engineers recognized the deficiencies associated with traffic rotaries and circles, and incorporated slower speeds and "yield on entry" into modern roundabouts. for more click here
I have supported this concept since the first roundabout was constructed.
The most extreme cases are where the two lane roundabouts have exiting into a single lane. So what we have here is perhaps two cars side by side in a two lane roundabout with both trying to exit into a single lane street. If this isn't dangerous, nothing is. This can be viewed at the Morse/Rte 441 circle. The safest solution is for all vehicles to navigate the roundabouts is by staying in the roundabout outer lane.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Maybe a better idea is for someone to contact the Daily Sun and request they run a HUGE good driving campaign on the front page. This would also need to be re-run around March 1st or 2nd when the new wave of seasonals come in. And, continue to run it on occasion, throughout the year for newbies and some of the residents who still don't get the round-abouts. Just my thoughts ...
The information that has been published on how to navigate a roundabout here in the Villages would be two feet tall. The Sheriff has published numerous diagrams.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
There are arrows on the pavement that seem pretty clear to me......and pretty universal.....I still don't understand why people make them so difficult.....treat it like a 4 way intersection....aside from the occasional collision most navigate the intersections at BV and Morse and 466A pretty well....wait, they have arrows telling you which way to go......so do the RABS
Part of the problem and a big gripe for me is the failure of nearly 100% of drivers navigating a roundabout to ever use their turn signals to indicate their intention. Every Villager should take a few minutes to observe traffic in a roundabout, you will be shocked at how few drivers ever use a turn signal when making a right turn exiting from the roundabout. I have never viewed Law Enforcement stopping anyone for not using the required turn indicator.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

How about we work on just one rule at a time?

My vote would be for ....if you are in the outside lane (the one next to the curb...) then you MUST leave the circle at the very next exit.....no continuing to the next exit in the outside lane.

Signs? Too many do not read or obey the ones that are crystal clear like stop and speed limits!!!

I would also vote for speed humps (yes not bumps) to slow the Indy 500 crowd.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Part of the problem and a big gripe for me is the failure of nearly 100% of drivers navigating a roundabout to ever use their turn signals to indicate their intention. Every Villager should take a few minutes to observe traffic in a roundabout, you will be shocked at how few drivers ever use a turn signal when making a right turn exiting from the roundabout. I have never viewed Law Enforcement stopping anyone for not using the required turn indicator.
Then there is also the opposite problem. I was waiting to enter a roundabout, looked to my left and saw only one car and it was in the outer lane. The driver of that car had the right turn signal on. I thought it was great that finally someone was using their turn signal. I anticipated that that car would be exiting to my left on the roundabout, thus allowing me to enter the roundabout without having to wait for that vehicle to pass by me. Fortunately, I was cautious and waited anyway because the driver did not exit the roundabout but continued on and exited at the following exit.

So, caution should be used even if a driver has the turn signal on because that is no guarantee that they will actually turn. Expect the unexpected.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
LEO's would not have time to do anything else, LIKE DOING REAL POLICE WORK CATCHING BURGLARS AND DUI's, if they concentrated their valuable time writing turn signal infractions. Law enforcement gets bashed enough now on TOTV, just think of the hell raising that would occur if they started writing tickets to the "entitled" for not using a turn signal. It would not be pretty.

Back to the original OP, roundabouts are a way of life in TV. It keeps traffic moving better vs a normal intersection (which has stop signs that no one stops at anyway). Just drive defensively.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Sage

I know how my GPS has helped me.

In a new area that has many clovers and highways converging I no longer try to read the signs. I just make a left or merge right when the lady on the phone tells me.

I wonder if this has made more attentive of the other drivers around me since I no longer need to read signs or guess which side of the highway I should be in for the next exit.

Or has this dumbed me down and dulled my instincts.

I love the technology. I don't like the newest inventions. I don't think I could sit in the back seat of a car with no driver.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

I would also vote for speed humps (yes not bumps) to slow the Indy 500 crowd.
not me--if I'm in the back of any ambulance, please make it a smooth ride

ooooh----i reread. i never heard of a speed hump. how are they different?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
LEO's would not have time to do anything else, LIKE DOING REAL POLICE WORK CATCHING BURGLARS AND DUI's, if they concentrated their valuable time writing turn signal infractions. Law enforcement gets bashed enough now on TOTV, just think of the hell raising that would occur if they started writing tickets to the "entitled" for not using a turn signal. It would not be pretty.

Back to the original OP, roundabouts are a way of life in TV. It keeps traffic moving better vs a normal intersection (which has stop signs that no one stops at anyway). Just drive defensively.
Just watch the LEO's around the Villages and see how often they use their turn signals.... You might be surprised.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

On a daily basis we all see drivers using the roundabouts improperly, and I am sure that is not going to change. It just amazes me how complicated some people make this. In most if not all cases, two lanes approach a circle. If a car is in the right lane, it can go straight, or make the first right. If a car is in the left lane, it can go straight or go around to make a left. A very simple concept without the need for signage, arrows, flashing lights, etc.
If you are making the left and have to scramble to get into the residents lane, a driver should not be next to you. They are not yielding right of way to you, the driver already in the circle. But I know this happens frequently. Having a drivers license comes with the responsibility of knowing how to legally operate your vehicle on public roadways. Roundabouts, intersections, etc. Still, it would be wise to be very cautious and always expect the unexpected.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

An important rule is to YIELD to traffic already in the roundabout.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Platinum member

In my opinion, many newbies panic in the roundabouts. They don't realize that they can just keep on driving straight, and make a complete circle at the next roundabout to get back to their original turn. Too many people try to turn left from the right lane!

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 02-01-2015, 02:05 PM

I agree with Tomwed. One lane would end all the confusion and I believe they are idiot proof. The only sign necessary is the car in the circle has the right of way.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
I agree with Tomwed. One lane would end all the confusion and I believe they are idiot proof. The only sign necessary is the car in the circle has the right of way.
Worth a try on at least one circle for a month or so!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.