Roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I like the Circles. That being said and after following all the pertinent rules they still present a challenge and require complete situational awareness. I find that trying to get into the Resident gate is especially challenging if you have been in the inside lane.

I still prefer Circles to traffic lights.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 AM

Navigation of roundabouts (single or double lane) is going the be an issue until the entire country has the same number of roundabouts as intersections. I do service work for a living in the Great White North (aka Minnesota) and put on a lot of miles on my van every week. That being the case I probably encounter a roundabout in MN maybe once a month. So whenever I'm in TV for our semi-annual visit I review the brochure about roundabouts and I'm good to go for the week or so I'm here. Once we move here permanently, I'll throw the brochure in the trash because I'll be navigating multiple roundabouts on a daily basis.

Racine, WI
Elk River, MN
not there yet, but we're working on it - The Villages, FL
Old 02-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
What about having only 1 lane? It's called a Modern Roundabout

What is a Modern Roundabout?

The Villages Florida

Simply stated, a modern roundabout is a transportation management tool that moves traffic through an intersection without the aid of traffic signals. More specifically, a modern roundabout is an intersection with one-way circulation around a central island where entering traffic must yield the right-of-way to the traffic circulating within the roundabout.

A modern roundabout should not be confused with traffic rotaries or circles, which are much larger, with higher speeds and multiple lanes for entering and exiting. As traffic volumes increase, collisions and traffic jams can occur because vehicles are not required to yield to traffic before entering.

Traffic engineers recognized the deficiencies associated with traffic rotaries and circles, and incorporated slower speeds and "yield on entry" into modern roundabouts. for more click here
THIS IS RIGHT ON THE MARK.... ALL ROUND-A-BOUTS SHOULD BE ONLY ONE FREAKING LANE. END OF PROBLEMS !
Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Sage
Default Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Honestly,I don't believe there's anything that could be done to the round-a-bouts to satisfy everyone.

These are very simple to navigate, just the way they are. There's only a couple simple rules to get through them safely; it's not rocket science...
Yep.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Sage
Default Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
THIS IS RIGHT ON THE MARK.... ALL ROUND-A-BOUTS SHOULD BE ONLY ONE FREAKING LANE. END OF PROBLEMS !
This one still boggles my mind. Do you really think you can do this on Morse and BV without enormous delays, congestion, conflicts, redesign, cost?!?. And if you're willing to tolerate the redesign (not only of the roundabouts, but of Morse and BV) and the cost, the enormous delays, congestion and conflicts caused by having only a single lane would still be there.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

And we will all merge from 2 lanes to 1 lane in the same polite, orderly, and safe fashion that we always experience when approaching construction, landscaping or utility work, or auto accidents??? And the road narrows to one lane... maybe the concrete trucks will drive slowly side by side to make sure no one cuts in front of all polite, courteous, full time driving residents.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
I honestly think that would make the round abouts more confusing and more dangerous. One lane round abouts would be fine if we were coming off of one lane roads, but I can just imagine all of the confusion and accidents caused by people trying to merge as they enter the round about.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
why the northern side???
The northern end seems a little less crowed, and I think would be sufficient for a trial run.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
This one still boggles my mind. Do you really think you can do this on Morse and BV without enormous delays, congestion, conflicts, redesign, cost?!?. And if you're willing to tolerate the redesign (not only of the roundabouts, but of Morse and BV) and the cost, the enormous delays, congestion and conflicts caused by having only a single lane would still be there.
I've experienced it first hand, and yes, I do think it would be an improvement and worth the relative small cost of paint and signage.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
And we will all merge from 2 lanes to 1 lane in the same polite, orderly, and safe fashion that we always experience when approaching construction, landscaping or utility work, or auto accidents??? And the road narrows to one lane... maybe the concrete trucks will drive slowly side by side to make sure no one cuts in front of all polite, courteous, full time driving residents.
You are so right!
Old 02-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Sage
Default Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I've experienced it first hand, and yes, I do think it would be an improvement and worth the relative small cost of paint and signage.

First hand where? Maybe at a location with low traffic volumes, single lane approach streets, etc.. Specifics matter. You certainly haven't experienced it in TV.

If you're talking about nothing but some signs and paint, that means your plan is to simply merge existing traffic on Morse and BV into a single lane at or before each circle?! With all due respect, that would be a disaster and...thankfully...will never happen.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When these innovators finally move here and get used to them, they will see that driving a roundabout is not too big a deal.

Sheesh.

New people are usually scared of driving a golfcart on Morse Bridge too. One of the things both have in common is that you HAVE to slow down. And pay attention.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Sage

The roundabout should be intuitive. A yield sign upon entering a single outside circle is enough.
When an emergency vehicle needs room they can stay in the fast lane, cross the double yellow lines on the inside circle entering and exiting while everyone pulls over to the right.

Try it out down by Brownwood. We're fairly new down here with not as much traffic and see if it helps, hurts or makes no difference.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I honestly think that would make the round abouts more confusing and more dangerous. One lane round abouts would be fine if we were coming off of one lane roads, but I can just imagine all of the confusion and accidents caused by people trying to merge as they enter the round about.
We've been driving them for years like that, and it's eazy peazy. There's a merge down to one lane, enter the RAB, take exit of your choice. No decisions to make... it's all laid out for you.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Gold member

Simple solution. Make one of the lanes a toll lane, and nobody would ever use it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.