Roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Default Roundabouts

I am new to the Villages, but by no means new to roundabouts, having grown up in the UK. No doubt the roundabout issues have been well addressed before, but here is my 5c worth.

It is frustrating just how many people have no idea how to use the roundabouts. When used used properly, they are safe, maintain good traffic flow and do not generate frustration. From my recent experience, it seems that about 50% really know how they work, 25% are ok and slow down just to be sure, but the other 25% are either totally clueless or just don't give a damn.

I had a recent incident on Buena Vista Boulevard where I was going out on the second exit. I was in the left lane entering the roundabout and went to the inside lane, passed the first exit then signalled I was turning right to leave the roundabout. This was still keeping me in the left lane. As I was starting to turn. A person came straight through the yield sign into the outside lane narrowly missing the car next to me in the outside lane who was already in the roundabout. She then proceeded to cut accross right in front of me into the inside lane as I was making my turn to exit. Luckily I braked in time to avoid a collision. She stopped, I stopped and we exchanged words.

What gets me is that she said I didn't know what I was doing. I tried to explain the rules are that traffic in the roundabout have priority and that I was in the inside lane and exiting from the inside lane and signalled my intent. As well there was a car in the outside lane that she barely misssed hitting as when she ran the yield. She had ignored the yield sign, causing the car already in the roundabout to have to brake sharply, then she cut into my lane with no signal, all of which are no no's.

The day after, I saw a minor fender bender happen at another roundabout for almost exactly the same reason when a vehicle entered the outside lane then crossed immediately to the inside lane where he hit a vehicle already in the inside lane.

The other move I see a lot is where people enter into the outside lane, then move immediately to the inside lane, then exit by moving accross the meridian to the outside lane, with each move, they cut off traffic. Of course there those that travel all the way around in the outside lane instead of moving to the inside lane if they are passing mor than one exit.

I guess my point is....shouldn't TV have a course (only an hour of in car instruction) for those not familiar with roundabouts, so they can know how to negotiate these safely. This would be a great idea for someone to start classes in roundabout usage for those not familiar (at least I think it would).

Comments?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:59 PM

I don't think u will get many replays on this. It has been beaten to death in conversation. There r booklets put out by The Villages and SCSO. I think all the ideas are not going to change this problem. No money to do much else.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Sage

Problem with the class is those that don't know how to use the roundabouts don't now that they don't know. So.....
Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
I don't think u will get many replays on this. It has been beaten to death in conversation. There r booklets put out by The Villages and SCSO. I think all the ideas are not going to change this problem. No money to do much else.
But why is it that it is such a problem in TV. I go to the UK and I don't see the issues at roundabouts that I see in TV. People in the UK had to go through a period of adjustment to using roundabouts since, as I recall, the mid or late 1960's, just like here and there are new drivers getting on the roads over there every day and they navigate them successfully.

The thing is, if people become educated to using them properly, most of the issues will improve, but granted there will still be some issues. Obviously the pamphlets haven't worked, that is why I believe, if people had proper in car instruction, most of the iussues with roundabouts would be mitigated. Otherwise, it is going to be status quo, accidents will continue to happen and people will continue to complain.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 PM

I agree, Murray. I was scared to death after reading all the threads about the roundabouts before my first visit last month. I educated myself and navigated them just fine. Only one near miss and it happened because I was in the inner lane (i was getting out of the roundabout two turns after entering) and a car came flying up past me in the outer lane only to stay in the roundabout as I was exiting.
A little education about which lane one should be in would go a long way. I found it easy because I didn't EVER change lanes in the roundabout. I knew which lane I needed to be in before entering and adjusted accordingly.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray607 View Post
But why is it that it is such a problem in TV. I go to the UK and I don't see the issues at roundabouts that I see in TV. People in the UK had to go through a period of adjustment to using roundabouts since, as I recall, the mid or late 1960's, just like here and there are new drivers getting on the roads over there every day and they navigate them successfully.

The thing is, if people become educated to using them properly, most of the issues will improve, but granted there will still be some issues. Obviously the pamphlets haven't worked, that is why I believe, if people had proper in car instruction, most of the iussues with roundabouts would be mitigated. Otherwise, it is going to be status quo, accidents will continue to happen and people will continue to complain.
Do a search on roundabouts and your questions will be answered. Most threads end up with over 150 posts. Each repeating what has been said many, many, many times over.

Now you did it............................another roundabout thread! Yuk!
Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
But why is it that it is such a problem in TV. I go to the UK and I don't see the issues at roundabouts that I see in TV.
Perhaps it's because the majority of drivers in The Villages are wrinklies?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Perhaps it's because the majority of drivers in The Villages are wrinklies?
That is a definite possibility. But, then again I am a wrinklie too
Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Here is what would happen if classes on roundabouts were offered.

If the classes were offered or (HEAVEN FORBID) required, all the people who know how to circumvent the circles correctly would go to be good citizens and the ones who did not know but thought they did would arrogantly state that they knew how and no one was gonna make them go.

We Seniors can really be PITAs at times.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Platinum member

Frankly, what scares me is: I recently saw a Sumter County Deputy, in a clearly marked vehicle, violating the guidelines! I make every effort to do exactly what the county's published guidelines tell me to do, and occasionally it becomes a white-knuckle experience! When the "experts" fail to do it correctly, then we're in trouble!

Yes, visitors are part of the problem, but they're usually identifiable, and can, to some extent, be excused!

SWR
Old 03-14-2013, 05:16 PM

My 2 cents:

1. The new signage is very clear, imo two many folks ignore them.

2. Sure fire way to get folks up to speed.....enforcement. Instead of pulling folks over for doing 45 on Buena Vista or Morse, monitor the roundabouts and issue tickets. Not much different than folks driving carts that go WAY over 20mph. They know its illegal but don't care.....that is until they face the consequences.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
My 2 cents:

1. The new signage is very clear, imo two many folks ignore them.

2. Sure fire way to get folks up to speed.....enforcement. Instead of pulling folks over for doing 45 on Buena Vista or Morse, monitor the roundabouts and issue tickets. Not much different than folks driving carts that go WAY over 20mph. They know its illegal but don't care.....that is until they face the consequences.
Completely agree but I don't think the Sherrif does. Enforcement is almost non-exisistant.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

They are much more common in the UK, and that's why there are fewer problems. I'm 59 years old, and until we visited TV last December I had NEVER been on a roundabout before......and over the years I've lived and/or traveled around much of the U.S. Had never encountered one anywhere.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default P

At least it wasn't a SUMPTER County Deputy, cause we all know there's no "P" in Lake Sumter.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
They are much more common in the UK, and that's why there are fewer problems. I'm 59 years old, and until we visited TV last December I had NEVER been on a roundabout before......and over the years I've lived and/or traveled around much of the U.S. Had never encountered one anywhere.
I now live in Alberta, Canada. The local municipality constructed a roundabout on the intersection of two busy highways last fall. Before it was completed I heard nothing but grumbling and even when it opened the grumbling continued. But, the complaints only lasted for a few weeks. Now, I hear comments like "it really speeds things up", "there is better traffic flow" and "why didn't they think of this before?"
My son, who was perhaps one of the biggest opponents, now freely says he likes the roundabout and only wishes there were more of them.
Needless to say, I like them, providing everyone is using them properly.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.