Roundabouts Are Easy

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2019, 12:03 PM
Default Roundabouts Are Easy

Yes, roundabouts are easy. As long as you stay in your lane, keep your speed at 20 MPH and never change your lane. You must also be in the proper lane to begin with.

If you adhere to the following guidelines, you will see how easy it is to navigate a roundabout:

NEVER stop in a roundabout,

ALWAYS give the right of way to a vehicle already in the roundabout,

ALWAYS use your right hand turn signal EVERY time you exit, even when you are using a bypass. If you are going straight through and exiting at the second exit, you MUST use your right hand turn signal when you get to that exit, whether you are in the inside or outside lane,

NEVER change lanes in a roundabout even if this means that you must enter one of the gates on the visitors side. Your gate key works for the visitors side just as it does for the residents side,

ALWAYS use your left hand turn signal and use the inside lane when going 3/4 around, (making a left hand turn), until you pass the second exit when you MUST use your right hand turn signal. If the gate or street you are going into has two lanes, you MUST enter in the left hand lane, and

NEVER enter a roundabout right beside a vehicle in the inner lane. When approaching a roundabout and no vehicles are in the outside lane, you should NOT enter until you can stagger your position with that other vehicle so you can see the rear turn signals on the vehicle in the inner lane. That vehicle may be making a 3/4 turn and may be preparing to make a right hand turn to leave the roundabout.

Since the snowbirds have returned, it is wise to give yourself a little extra time to get to your destination.

Now that you know the proper way to negotiate a roundabout, don’t make the assumption that everyone else does also. Always be on the lookout for drivers who do not follow the proper guidelines. Be safe out there!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Is this the source of your information?
How to Navigate Roundabouts
Old 01-22-2019, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Is this the source of your information?
How to Navigate Roundabouts
If it is.... that makes 3 of us that I know read it.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
Yes, roundabouts are easy. As long as you stay in your lane, keep your speed at 20 MPH and never change your lane. You must also be in the proper lane to begin with.

If you adhere to the following guidelines, you will see how easy it is to navigate a roundabout:

ALWAYS use your right hand turn signal EVERY time you exit, even when you are using a bypass. If you are going straight through and exiting at the second exit, you MUST use your right hand turn signal when you get to that exit, whether you are in the inside or outside lane,

NEVER change lanes in a roundabout even if this means that you must enter one of the gates on the visitors side. Your gate key works for the visitors side just as it does for the residents side,

ALWAYS use your left hand turn signal and use the inside lane when going 3/4 around, (making a left hand turn), until you pass the second exit when you MUST use your right hand turn signal. If the gate or street you are going into has two lanes, you MUST enter in the left hand lane, and

NEVER enter a roundabout right beside a vehicle in the inner lane. When approaching a roundabout and no vehicles are in the outside lane, you should NOT enter until you can stagger your position with that other vehicle so you can see the rear turn signals on the vehicle in the inner lane. That vehicle may be making a 3/4 turn and may be preparing to make a right hand turn to leave the roundabout.

Since the snowbirds have returned, it is wise to give yourself a little extra time to get to your destination.

Now that you know the proper way to negotiate a roundabout, don’t make the assumption that everyone else does also. Always be on the lookout for drivers who do not follow the proper guidelines. Be safe out there!

Here's a simpler version.

Get in the correct lane before you get to the roundabout.
Give way/stop to any vehicle to your left before entering
Enter when clear to your left.
Signal on exit.

YOU DO NOT TURN LEFT FROM THE RIGHT HAND LANE!

Last edited by Two Bills; 01-22-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Sage

Will this thread get to 100 posts?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, by sundown!
Old 01-22-2019, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post

This is the way it's done in other countries, but it just confuses people in The Villages. If you use your left hand turn signal when entering one of our roundabouts, many will think you are going to turn left into the roundabout. Better to not signal a left when entering the roundabout. Enter the roundabout in the proper lane, and then use your right turn signal when exiting.

Also... Yielding to those already in the roundabout means yielding to those in both lanes of the roundabout, not just someone in the lane you're planning to enter.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
If it is.... that makes 3 of us that I know read it.
Reading and comprehending are two different things

Last edited by Topspinmo; 01-22-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
This is the way it's done in other countries, but it just confuses people in The Villages. If you use your left hand turn signal when entering one of our roundabouts, many will think you are going to turn left into the roundabout. Better to not signal a left when entering the roundabout. Enter the roundabout in the proper lane, and then use your right turn signal when exiting.

Also... Yielding to those already in the roundabout means yielding to those in both lanes of the roundabout, not just someone in the lane you're planning to enter.
I use my turn signal in left lane after I pass the first exit on my way to 3rd. That was people approaching the 3rd entry know my intentions. Not that it make difference from the slugs that pull out when i’m At second entry, but at least I use my turn signals, which I observed majority don’t.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Only if you keep posting none related questions that I have to respond to
Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Just a brief note.
Today after nearly 80 years of using them (not the same pair) I changed from 'Y' fronts to 'Boxers,' nearly 60 of those years navigating roundabouts (on thread!)
I would like to thank all the 'Y' front manufacturers I have used over those years for their great Support.
Thank you.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Just a brief note.
Today after nearly 80 years of using them (not the same pair) I changed from 'Y' fronts to 'Boxers,' nearly 60 of those years navigating roundabouts (on thread!)
I would like to thank all the 'Y' front manufacturers I have used over those years for their great Support.
Thank you.
Post of the Month!
Old 01-22-2019, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I believe roundabouts in TV were invented by these guys

The Villages Florida

I’d say they only measured once!
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, roundabout, turn, hand, vehicle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.