Roundabouts Are Safe

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
It’s amazing to me how some make the roundabouts so complicated. The signs approaching each one in Sumter county accurately depict what each lane can do. Once you enter the roundabout your choices are set by the lane you entered from. Right lane to first exit or straight through. Left lane straight through or continue to third exit or all the way around. That’s all. Lines in the roundabout are basically lane markers rather than traffic control indicators.

I specified Sumter because I’ve seen roundabout signs in Marion county that do not differentiate the two lanes, but just indicate the roads intersecting with a single line around. But they should be negotiated the same way.
How about this situation heading east on 44A where the arrow says I can go straight then changes to only left (follow red line) - usually the left lane can continue straight
Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

It's an endless topic I believe. Roundabouts are as safe as the drivers know what to do. DISZIPLIN is the word behind. I was in Australia recently and came through more roundabout I could imagine. No problem at all even they driving opposite to us (which was a little problem for me at the beginning). Amazing was and is their driver's discipline. Honking? For what? Never I heard one, even when the traffic was slowing down because of very slow reacting drivers.
Their motto is just simple: I am using the same street, so everybody have the same right. I can't add anything to that.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
How about this situation heading east on 44A where the arrow says I can go straight then changes to only left (follow red line) - usually the left lane can continue straight
That only happens where a two lane roundabout connects to a single lane road. In your example, they designated the outside lane to enter the single lane exit and the inner lane to continue around. In other places, the inner lane exits to the single lane road while the outer lane doesn’t. Two examples are the Canal-Stillwater and the Morse-Mariposa Way roundabouts.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:47 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
That only happens where a two lane roundabout connects to a single lane road. In your example, they designated the outside lane to enter the single lane exit and the inner lane to continue around. In other places, the inner lane exits to the single lane road while the outer lane doesn’t. Two examples are the Canal-Stillwater and the Morse-Mariposa Way roundabouts.
However, they should not have the arrow in the inner lane pointing straight. It should indicate a left turn only!

A change of pace. Zoom into this cars and people roundabout in China. Look at the one bus. You can zoom and then zoom some more into this 195 gigapixel picture

Last edited by twoplanekid; 12-21-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Just saw a Roundabout accident on Buena Vista at Rainey. It looked to me like someone was going northbound on Buena Vista and was attempting to get to Rainey from the right lane, while someone on the inside was going straight. The inside car got pushed into the north side median. The other car was getting cited.
I always try to use the right lane (outside lane)if I'm going straight thru.Too many times I've seen cars turning left from the right lane.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe I just don't understand the "jargon". Travel in a roundabout is always in a counter-clockwise direction. Enter into the right lane, exit from the right lane. How can you make a left turn in a roundabout without facing oncoming traffic?. I think the confusing term here is "left turn".

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-21-2018, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Maybe I just don't understand the "jargon". Travel in a roundabout is always in a counter-clockwise direction. Enter into the right lane, exit from the right lane. How can you make a left turn in a roundabout without facing oncoming traffic?. I think the confusing term here is "left turn".
Yes, it is. If you are coming "into" the circle from the south, and want to get out of the circle to the west, then you are "taking a left turn." Even though - once you get to that exit, you are now physically, literally, and definitely turning RIGHT out of the circle.

This is also why so many people get tripped up using the inside lane. Because once you get to the lane you want to exit out of, you will want to take a RIGHT. But in the United States, the LEFT lane is for passing, through traffic, or for taking a LEFT.

Even if you are going from north to south, you still will be entering and exiting that circle, and entering will be a "right" turn, and exiting will be a "right" turn. That's how circles work. You go counter-clockwise and turn right to stop moving counter-clockwise. If you don't turn right, you will just keep going around the circle, endlessly.

You're supposed to pretend it's a 4-way intersection. Except, at actual 4-way intersections, there are either stop signs or traffic lights.
Closed Thread

Tags
roundabouts, injuries, accidents, roundabout, safe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.