Roundabouts Are Safe

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2018, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Are you saying that BOTH lanes of the roundabout need to be clear before I can enter the roundabout ?

That makes me wonder why some roundabouts have two lanes. Are you allowed to change lanes once inside a roundabout?
You should read the attachment from post#13 and you won't have to wonder anymore.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Are you saying that BOTH lanes of the roundabout need to be clear before I can enter the roundabout ?

That makes me wonder why some roundabouts have two lanes. Are you allowed to change lanes once inside a roundabout?
Yes you can change lanes where there are dotted lines, same as any other road.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
...Are you saying that BOTH lanes of the roundabout need to be clear before I can enter the roundabout ?

That makes me wonder why some roundabouts have two lanes...
Picture this Morse or Buena Vista...there is a heavy traffic flow of north-south traffic. But there is zero traffic on the intersecting east-west street. If there were only one lane in the roundabout, then the capacity of Morse and Buena Vista would be effectively limited to a single lane at the roundabout, while two lanes of heavy traffic approach it. Not desirable.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 AM

OK, I just read post#13. I think 'our' roundabouts are too small to make using blinkers effective. Here's another problem, if you are headed East on El Camino Real then take Morse Blvd Eastbound at the Morse roundabout toward 441 the rules say You must be in the left-hand Lane for the third exit . however I want to make a right hand turn onto 441 from Morse, But then the cars coming off of Morse, and Paige Place won't let me into the right hand lane. Therefore, I stay in the right hand lane the entire roundabout.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
OK, I just read post#13. I think 'our' roundabouts are too small to make using blinkers effective. Here's another problem, if you are headed East on El Camino Real then take Morse Blvd Eastbound at the Morse roundabout toward 441 the rules say You must be in the left-hand Lane for the third exit . however I want to make a right hand turn onto 441 from Morse, But then the cars coming off of Morse, and Paige Place won't let me into the right hand lane. Therefore, I stay in the right hand lane the entire roundabout.
If you want to go south on 441 in this area you can turn onto Buenos Aires and then right on 441 at the light. Or, you can turn onto Banderos then right on 441.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Make use of blinkers! Most don’t use blinkers, if the would it would be much easier to figure out where they intend to go.

If you’re in the roundabout you have the right of way reguardless of which lane you’re In, no one should be beside you if they follow the rules. Cars entering roundabout have to yeild to both lanes in the roundabout.

The problem most entering the right lane don’t yeild to traffic in the roundabout causing the left lane traffic to stop or slow down and clog the round about from the illegal entries not yielding. Most think just cause no cars are in the right lane of roundabout the can creep around the corner to nest exit or second exit which causes the Hugh problem.

Another problem if you’re in the left lane going to 3rd exit, then have to turn right after the roundabout, you have to get in the right lane. ANother reason why traffic has to yeild to all traffic in roundabout.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:39 PM
Default Roundabouts Are Safe

You should NEVER change lanes in a roundabout. If you are exiting at the third exit onto a two lane village entrance, you MUST remain in the left lane and enter in the visitors entrance.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Therefore, I stay in the right hand lane the entire roundabout.
It is fine with us if you do that.

When you do that, please drive slowly so we can tell what you are doing. Under normal conditions, we do not expect a car to drive in the right lane for the entire roundabout. However, any decent driver with common sense will let you do that. They will not hit you.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
You should NEVER change lanes in a roundabout. If you are exiting at the third exit onto a two lane village entrance, you MUST remain in the left lane and enter in the visitors entrance.
If this is the rule, why are the lanes marked with broken lines? I always change lanes as I exit the RAB to position myself to go through the resident's entry. Before I change lanes, I always check to see if I can safely change lanes and make sure there are no other cars near me.

I don't want to go through the visitors entrance. Visitors have a habit of needing to speak to the gate attendant. I want to go through the resident's entrance because I'm a resident.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
BS!!!! I have driven round-a-bouts for 45 years rarely transit one without changing lanes. I have never had an accident in a round-a-bout but am especially cautious here in The Villages because most villagers don't have clue about how to navigate them and the local guidance differs from that provided to drivers in the rest of the world.

A contributing factor to the confusion is the lane markings are not standard within The Villages or even within the Sumter County portion of The Villages.

Last edited by xkeowner; 12-17-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
BS!!!! I have driven round-a-bouts for 45 years rarely transit one without changing lanes. I have never had an accident in a round-a-bout but am especially cautious here in The Villages because most villagers don't have clue about how to navigate them and the local guidance differs from that provided to drivers in the rest of the world.

A contributing factor to the confusion is the lane markings are not standard within The Villages or even within the Sumter County portion of The Villages.
And this is why we have problems. People come here and will not adjust to the rules in place for navigating the roundabouts. The signs are clear as to which lane can go where. But people just “know” how it was done elsewhere ignore the local rules and cause problems. Also, in other areas, it is permissible to enter an empty lane beside a car already in a multi lane roundabout. Not here. Yet, those that “know” how it was done elsewhere create problems here because they don’t know the rules or choose to ignore them.

As to the lane markings. It’s best to remember the rules on lane use from the sign before entering the roundabout and keep in the proper lane to your exit. That’s because the lane markings would have to be different depending on where you entered and where you are exiting.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage

roundabout-jpg
The purpose of the dotted lines are for entry into a multi lane roundabout. Observe as you enter you will not have to cross a solid line to get into whichever lane you have chosen. Any literature you read will most certainly proclaim never change lanes in a roundabout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
If this is the rule, why are the lanes marked with broken lines? I always change lanes as I exit the RAB to position myself to go through the resident's entry. Before I change lanes, I always check to see if I can safely change lanes and make sure there are no other cars near me.

I don't want to go through the visitors entrance. Visitors have a habit of needing to speak to the gate attendant. I want to go through the resident's entrance because I'm a resident.

Last edited by rustyp; 12-18-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Attachment 77848
The purpose of the dotted lines are for entry into a multi lane roundabout.
If the dotted lines are for entering the RAB, why can't an exit be navigated too while crossing those dotted lines? I never change lanes in a RAB while circulating the RAB. I do follow the rule for that. However, when I circulate in the inside lane to make a "left turn", as I'm exiting, if there are no cars in site, I change lanes as I exit. As I have already said, I go through the resident gate and do not ever intend to go through a visitor gate.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
If the dotted lines are for entering the RAB, why can't an exit be navigated too while crossing those dotted lines? I never change lanes in a RAB while circulating the RAB. I do follow the rule for that. However, when I circulate in the inside lane to make a "left turn", as I'm exiting, if there are no cars in site, I change lanes as I exit. As I have already said, I go through the resident gate and do not ever intend to go through a visitor gate.
Do what you want and you have a good point about the gates. On the other hand they are unique to TV. RAB are all over the world. Not changing lanes in the RAB is the law.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Do what you want and you have a good point about the gates. On the other hand they are unique to TV. RAB are all over the world. Not changing lanes in the RAB is the law.
But I don't think what coffeebean describes is a lane change. It's simply exiting the roundabout...at a dashed line...and performing a legal lane change over that dashed line.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 12-18-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
roundabouts, injuries, accidents, roundabout, safe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.