Roundabouts Are Safe

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
--<clip>--In the almost 6 years that I have lived here, I have not heard of 20 accidents in our roundabouts and there were no serious injuries in any of them.
Not sure where you are "hearing of" (or from) but we have been here just 2 years(as of Jan) and just at the Stillwater & O'Dell circles along Morse alone we have actually SEEN a couple dozen accidents (some actually happening and most the aftermath (and most at Stillwater) during that time. While I can't give specific numbers because we obviously didn't keep a running count I can say for sure we have seen pretty close to or maybe more than 20. We remember more than one week when we noted at least 2 in one day. Most fortunately they were not serious - but there were some that were because of multiple ambulances -but definitely with vehicle damage. My guess it was during "high season" (PUN intended). Often cars coming out of Stillwater on the cart path side into the circle were involved.

We walk (and cart) between those 2 circles on average of 3x a day so it's hard to miss the loud screech and then the terrible metal to metal crunching sound.

Gotta be careful out there.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

If drivers only cottoned on to the fact, you don't turn left from the right hand lane.
So simple.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Roundabouts for me are the most anxiety provoking thing about TV.
I only come down for a short time so I think it’s a combo of lack of practice and also unfamiliarity with directions so difficult to position myself in proper lane to enter.
I review the rules when I’m here but I still dislike them.
I suppose it’s like someone traveling a familiar road behind someone who is in unfamiliar territory and looking for the right street. Infuriating for the former and panic provoking for the later.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeleb View Post
Roundabouts for me are the most anxiety provoking thing about TV.
I only come down for a short time so I think it’s a combo of lack of practice and also unfamiliarity with directions so difficult to position myself in proper lane to enter.
I review the rules when I’m here but I still dislike them.
I suppose it’s like someone traveling a familiar road behind someone who is in unfamiliar territory and looking for the right street. Infuriating for the former and panic provoking for the later.
If you find yourself positioned in the wrong lane then just go straight, get in the left lane and make a U-turn at the next roundabout (go all the way around). Since you know you missed your turn you should be able to position yourself properly coming back. It's no different than being in the wrong lane at a 4 way intersection except that it's easier to correct the missed turn. A number of States are installing roundabouts to facilitate traffic flow, Pennsylvania is one of them.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

There's a 2-lane roundabout in a shopping plaza near where I work. No one - and I mean absolutely positively no one - uses the inside lane, ever. Everyone treats it like a 4-way stop sign. You stop, make sure no one is coming around from your left, and then enter the circle go around until you get to the road you want to continue on, and take your right (because no matter where you entered, the end result is - you're taking a RIGHT out of the circle, not a left). Easy peasy.

I realize that's not how it's done at the villages. But however it's supposed to be done at the villages clearly isn't working, because if it were, you wouldn't have so many threads with so many hundreds of posts about how everyone is doing it wrong and how they see accidents daily/weekly etc.

We have stop signs where I live, and if we have a fender-bender during a bad ice storm, it's news.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:35 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Senior drivers with little or no experience transiting roundabouts may cause accidents. I doubt many senior European drivers who are accustomed to negotiating roundabouts experience any difficulty other than dealing with other senior drivers with little or no roundabout driving experience.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
...however it's supposed to be done at the villages clearly isn't working, because if it were, you wouldn't have so many threads with so many hundreds of posts about how everyone is doing it wrong and how they see accidents daily/weekly etc...
Couldn't be more wrong. Online forums are full of complainers, and ToTV is no different. Roundabouts in TV work just fine. Perfect? Of course not. But they function very efficiently overall.
Quote:
...We have stop signs where I live, and if we have a fender-bender during a bad ice storm, it's news.
If you want to replace all the roundabout threads with even worse stop sign threads, you're hinting at the perfect solution. Stop signs (or traffic signals) would lower efficiency and capacity dramatically.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Jaz, Ever ask yourself why there are multi-lane roundabout? They flow more traffic. I assume you look at the rules or instructions how to negotiate multi lane roundabout in you’re state? Just like when you come down here you have of follow the rules in this state which is clearly posted before you enter roundabout with direction arrows and regulations written down. Some get confused with general directional flow signs long before actual lanes flow signs before the roundabouts. If multi lanes intersect there will be specific directional flow signs just before the roundabout. If single lanes intersect there will probably be general directional flow sign sometimes. I don’t agree with the general flow sign cause they just confuse most drivers and tend to over look the actual flow signs just before the roundabout.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
There's a 2-lane roundabout in a shopping plaza near where I work. No one - and I mean absolutely positively no one - uses the inside lane, ever. Everyone treats it like a 4-way stop sign. You stop, make sure no one is coming around from your left, and then enter the circle go around until you get to the road you want to continue on, and take your right (because no matter where you entered, the end result is - you're taking a RIGHT out of the circle, not a left). Easy peasy.

I realize that's not how it's done at the villages. But however it's supposed to be done at the villages clearly isn't working, because if it were, you wouldn't have so many threads with so many hundreds of posts about how everyone is doing it wrong and how they see accidents daily/weekly etc.

We have stop signs where I live, and if we have a fender-bender during a bad ice storm, it's news.

I remember ice. We don't have it here. I like roundabouts, but they seem difficult for newbies.

Connecticut vs. The Villages. I choose The Villages.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:51 AM
Platinum member

I spend countless seconds each day courteously waiting for cars to continue north on Buena Vista as they pass through the roundabout at Springdale/Piedmont only to have them turn into Springdale without signaling their intentions. This often evokes a subvocal pottymouth utterance, but I do manage to refrain from the hand gesture.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Want to read more roundabout posts? Here are three threads with 350 posts. Caution, lot of very similar posts. Only so many ways to say the same thing.

How to Navigate Roundabouts

Traffic Circles

Roundabout claims another
Old 12-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy View Post
In the almost 6 years that I have lived here, I have not heard of 20 accidents in our roundabouts and there were no serious injuries in any of them. Compare that with the number of auto accidents at cross streets like 466 and Buena Vista or Morse Blvd., or 466A and Buena Vista or Morse Blvd. What about 466 and Rolling Acres? And how many of those have had bodily injuries or deaths?

The primary reason that roundabouts are safe is that all vehicles approaching a roundabout have to slow down. At these slower speeds, it is easier to avoid an accident when another driver doesn’t follow the proper procedures for negotiating the roundabout. I have seen many close calls and angry drivers when someone is not following proper procedures. However, close calls and angry drivers are better than accidents and injuries.

Roundabouts are easy as long as you stay in your lane, keep your speed at 20 MPH, use your turn signals whenever you exit, and NEVER change your lane in a roundabout. Since the snowbirds have returned, it is wise to give youself a little extra time to get to your destination. Be safe out there.
I agree 100%. I've really only seen two accidents at roundabouts in seven years that I've been driving here.

If drivers have trouble negotiating anything such as roundabouts, intersections and lane changes, the problem is with the driver, not in infrastructure.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:

Most of our issues are with those that are here part time.....Goldwingnut did a drone shot some months back and the flow worked. I understand those that have limited experience have trouble but suspect they get better at it the longer they are here. As many of us have learned, just expect the unexpected. Also, you don't need to stop before entering, the law says Yield, not stop. Again, I understand the fear, and experience helps overcome that.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Are you saying that BOTH lanes of the roundabout need to be clear before I can enter the roundabout ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
yes - ref column 1, paragraph 1, sentence one. "YIELD to all traffic in the roundabout".
ref paragraph 3,sentence 1, "DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the roundabout".
That makes me wonder why some roundabouts have two lanes. Are you allowed to change lanes once inside a roundabout?
Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

From Florida Department Of Transportation.

Closed Thread

Tags
roundabouts, injuries, accidents, roundabout, safe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.