Rubber Mulch?

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Sage

Regarding whether rubber mulch (or any mulch) will wash away, I would suggest this... look up. Does the house have gutters? Does the roof slope towards that side of the house and dump large amounts of water when it rains? Maybe stones won't move under any circumstances, but most other mulches will move if they are subjected to a large volume of water coming into the landscaping from the roof. Just my two cents.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Gold member

I posted earlier being a BIG fan of rubber mulch but I wanted to add my 2 cents again. We recently landscaped an additional area using the same rubber mulch that we've had down for 3 yrs in another area of our yard. This new area is slightly pitched and I do mean slightly.... not long after we did this new area we got hit with VERY high winds and TORRENTIAL rain. I will admit I was concerned due to the slight pitch. Not one piece washed out. Again, we are big fans of rubber mulch...but to each their own and this is just our opinion.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 AM

Thanks, all, for your thoughts on the rubber mulch. I might try a small patch before doing the entire area. Just want something that works and get us out to play instead of working in the garden!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have two neighbors near one home that have rubber mulch. Both houses slope toward the road somewhat. One has major wash out problems, the other none. I went and looked close at both types of mulch. The one that washes, the nuggets are small, the one that does not, the nuggets are big. The small ones are the size of big marbles but smaller then a golf ball. The large ones are about as big as two golf balls. So my suggestion would be to consider the size of the rubber mulch when buying. I did not smell rubber at either home but was there only a short time.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I have two neighbors near one home that have rubber mulch. Both houses slope toward the road somewhat. One has major wash out problems, the other none. I went and looked close at both types of mulch. The one that washes, the nuggets are small, the one that does not, the nuggets are big. The small ones are the size of big marbles but smaller then a golf ball. The large ones are about as big as two golf balls. So my suggestion would be to consider the size of the rubber mulch when buying. I did not smell rubber at either home but was there only a short time.
That is VERY informative. Thanks for taking the time to investigate and post!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

When we first moved here 8 years ago we went with rock. How I wish I knew about rubber mulch back then. We took out the pine bark in our back and have replaced it with rubber mulch. Since doing that haven't seen the bugs like we used to (and yes we have pest control) Even in storms it has stayed put. We LOVE it! As soon as were are able we will be selling off our tons of rock and will replace it all with the rubber mulch. No smell and looks really nice. I think we got ours at Lowes. If you pull your own weeds pulling out of rock is horrible. Just an added note there
Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

I was looking at some rubber mulch the other day at Home Depot I think and it was on a roll. I thought that was a great alternative to bagged rubber mulch as it seems "connected" so maybe you wouldn't have the problems of it blowing or washing away.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 AM

...once in the lawn, the rubber never goes away.....come to Florida and put your toes in the sand, not rocks or tires....pine bark is good, pine straw is the very best
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.