Rude, Miserable People

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Platinum member

sorry for the double post

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Platinum member

I think many residents of The Villages are afflicted with the "I'm smarter than everyone else and I feel compelled to constantly prove it" disease. I sometimes even feel the symptoms myself, but I work hard to fight them off.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post
You also must remember that some people who live by themselves do not realize they are talking out loud or do not realize they can talk in their "quiet voice".

Example of this : while waiting for church to begin; waiting for entertainment to begin at Savannah Center.
And, as the OP stated, some are just rude, miserable people THAT. DON'T. CARE. WHAT. THEY. SAY. They would really be rude and miserable if they were having to put up with the cold and snow that my wife and I along with the rest of the the less fortunate people in the mid to north part of the US are having to do.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Platinum member

My observation regarding the rudeness here in TV involves the wait staff and store clerks. Never in my life have I seen such behavior by adults toward those that are serving them. They absolutely feel that they are better than those taking care of them or they would never be so rude. I find myself being overly friendly because I feel so sorry for them having to put up with this. How miserable people must be in their daily life to feel the need to complain so much about everything.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,500 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I think many residents of The Villages are afflicted with the "I'm smarter than everyone else and I feel compelled to constantly prove it" disease. I sometimes even feel the symptoms myself, but I work hard to fight them off.

Me too. And I lose the battle way too often, but your gentle reminder will keep me aware for awhile.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
My observation regarding the rudeness here in TV involves the wait staff and store clerks. Never in my life have I seen such behavior by adults toward those that are serving them. They absolutely feel that they are better than those taking care of them or they would never be so rude. I find myself being overly friendly because I feel so sorry for them having to put up with this. How miserable people must be in their daily life to feel the need to complain so much about everything.
I agree for the most part. Fortunately the rude ones are in the minority. I lived in Fort Lauderdale for a few years and the rude rate is much MUCH higher there.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I agree! And the overbearing, "superior" ones who treat wait staff and store clerks like dirt under foot usually have a distinct, foghorn-loud accent that is not southern!!
Old 02-07-2015, 06:22 AM
Sage
Default Might just be on their way to senility

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
It's not just their words, I'm tired of people ramming me with their shopping carts and then saying something rude to me when I turn around and look at them (in shock that someone would actually hit someone!). Also, being rude with the way they drive ~ cutting people off, running stop signs, drifting over in the lane and when I've honked at them so they won't hit me, the guy rolled down his window and screamed at me. My goodness, if they are in pain (I'm also in pain!), if they are THAT miserable, they might consider staying in their homes and have a pity party.

Might just be on their way to senility? Been there, experienced that.....as per rude elders.

However, it was not in TV.........but in 1994 upon our move to Venice Florida where we bought our beachfront condo.

Our kids having graduated university, moved out of state, married, etc., we sold the family homestead.......at age 49.

Since we had been looking for a "Main Street" type community, this town seemed quite attractive, beautifully laid out, etc. with a real downtown & all the things we were used to in a community with the "plus" of being on the Gulf of Mexico with newly refurbished beach, nice jetties.......close to Sarasota with all of its culture......Ringling museum, etc. Plus, winter home of the Ringling Brothers circus.

As I was pre planning our car reservations at the Sarasota Airport, via the phone, the woman asked me why I had chosen Venice over Sarasota....?

She went on to say that Venice was filled with OLD FOLKS who bumped their shopping carts into you at the supermarket, drove the wrong way on the roads & highways, etc., etc. & were just plain RUDE......actually all of the things you mention above.

I told her we had done our research, visited half a dozen times, thought it was very pretty; laid out nicely as a real town with an Esplanade along the Gulf beach......where the condos were.......plus leading up to it was the main "avenue" with a park up & down the center.......very attractive, nice & long for walking.....a gazebo, etc.......just a pretty town.

It had an antique district up a side street........nice shops.

Well, our home sold faster than we expected......we ended up there sooner than we thought.........during "high season" in December or what you guys call snowbird season.

The rude folks were the elderly.........we were only 49.

After buying a beachfront condo, totally remodeling it from top to bottom........everything new.........we missed our home town & sold it to a lady from Hawaii. Luckily, it sold fast.

Up here, people are too FROZEN to be rude. Plus we know each other going generations back. Also, we know if someone is in the early stages of Alzheimers or dementia....both of which often present or exhibit with belligerence.

Expecting our 5th snowstorm this weekend which they say will last for days & days.......some are saying 3 , some are saying 4 days.

Luckily, our young neighbor kitty corner across from our home, has been excellent re plowing us out with his truck plow.......my hubby hasn't had to use the snowblower once yet this winter. We are fortunate. Looking forward to our spring & summer vacations....so "thinking spring".

Again, I think rude people are not even aware of their own rudeness but may be in some type of physical or emotional pain of their own........& just take it out on whomever is in their path......sad to say.

But, now at age 70......perhaps we are the "very old folks" that the Sarasota clerk was warning us about when we were 49 years young. How time flies; it seems like yesterday. Luckily, all of our neighbors & friends are aging along with us........so will forgive us any lapses of our own in compassion or good manners. The younger neighbors respect us as the "elders" in the neighborhood, as we once respected our own elders....ditto.......who are long gone but fondly remembered.

At times, rude people don't even realize they are being rude.
If one is consciously being rude...then they have a problem that no one can fathom or fix.

EXAMPLE: "it took very little alcohol to make him belligerent, and he became even more thuggish and incoherent when he threw in a few sleeping pills as well. —Christopher Hitchens, New York Times Book Review, 8 Oct. 2000"

"inclined to or exhibiting assertiveness, hostility, or combativeness '
— belligerent noun
Old 02-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

All I am saying is give peace a chance.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
It's not just their words, I'm tired of people ramming me with their shopping carts ......
I've also noticed that happens in The Villages - people behind me in a check out line banging into my ankles.
I always say OUCH because I'm so surprised when it happens.
I don't think it happens on purpose, just inattention, and perhaps older people are just a little more inattentive.
Sometimes I'll get an "I'm sorry". Other times people just back up a little bit so they won't do it again.
It's rude, but in the whole scheme of things, just a small annoyance.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

Look at the bright side you could live in Orlando or Sanford and you would be happy if they talked about your flowers, and you did not have some homie sticking a gun in your face asking for your wallet and jewelry.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

How about the ones who have to be the loudest ones in a country club dining room so loud other diners can't carry on a conversation or enjoy their meal. I'm talking really loud.Most of these people have been imbibing a little too much and or were already half deaf to begin with. Been there, seen that.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
How about the ones who have to be the loudest ones in a country club dining room so loud other diners can't carry on a conversation or enjoy their meal. I'm talking really loud.Most of these people have been imbibing a little too much and or were already half deaf to begin with. Been there, seen that.

And to further add to your point , I have been considering purchasing a decibel measurement device just to see exactly how loud such people are and what the noise they generate compares to such as a motorcycle , jet engine et al !
Old 02-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
I agree! And the overbearing, "superior" ones who treat wait staff and store clerks like dirt under foot usually have a distinct, foghorn-loud accent that is not southern!!
That made me chuckle..... And so true!!
Old 02-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Location: Village of Dunedin, Keller Tx, Tulsa Ok, Chicago Il, Milwaukee Wi

Maybe you're just being over sensitive on the matter. I think it's human nature to look at landscaping jobs people have done and think and share if you like it or not. This is especially true here where the homes in each area are so similar, with similar sized minimal lots, and minimal landscaping to begin, we don't like "ours" to look like everyone else, but at the same time my of us often go looking for ideas as to what we like and don't like before we begin our own efforts.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.