Rules on decorations in TV

Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Default Rules on decorations in TV

Are there any strictly enforced rules on American Flags (which I don't think of as a decoration but as patriotic) or any lawn decorations? I have even seen political signs.

I seem to remember there are no religion ones allowed, but even if in the contract would other things be enforced, or do multiple people have to complain.

And are their differences between a designer home and a villa.

I am sure people moving here would love to know.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Whatever deed restrictions you or anyone may have should be followed and if not they should be enforced and the homeowner should be made to follow such rules and regulations. These restrictions were not placed because they want to be bad mean developers, they are in place to protect the communities from becoming eyesores. A statue in a front yard may be viewed by some as very nice but by others very ugly, by following the regulations no one gets offended. Same thing with dogs running around without leashes, why do those particular dog owners feel that they are exempt from the deed restrictions requiring dogs to be on a leash at all times if outside. You can go to your district website and see the restrictions that apply to your home. I remember 10 or 12 years ago when someone in the area of Canal painted their home purple. That was not allowed for obvious reasons and they had to change the color, now assume that if there were no restrictions on home colors what you street or neighborhood could look like. The regulations and restrictions are in place, follow them and you'll have no problems, remember that you agreed to do just that when you signed your deed.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
Are there any strictly enforced rules on American Flags (which I don't think of as a decoration but as patriotic) or any lawn decorations? I have even seen political signs.

I seem to remember there are no religion ones allowed, but even if in the contract would other things be enforced, or do multiple people have to complain.

Florida Statute 2018-- Sec 720.304

no restriction shall be enforced regarding flags as long as following conditions are met

One 4 1/2 ft x 6 (maximum) American flag plus one same size or smaller US Armed service flag or POW or MIA flag. All other flags are subject to applicable deed restrictions or covenants and may therefore be banned. Maximum pole height = 20 ft.

No Trump flags or sports teams nor colleges nor jolly rogers, religious banners etc.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post

no restriction shall be enforced regarding flags as long as following conditions are met

One 4 1/2 ft x 6 (maximum) American flag plus one same size or smaller US Armed service flag or POW or MIA flag. All other flags are subject to applicable deed restrictions or covenants and may therefore be banned. Maximum pole height = 20 ft.

No Trump flags or sports teams nor colleges nor jolly rogers, religious banners etc.
Thank you Challenger and vintageogauge. The American flag post was unknown to me. I learned something today.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Sage

flag-jpg If this wooden flag conformed to the correct size would it be permitted? Would there need to be a light on it? What if it was inside a lanai?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Attachment 75593 If this wooden flag conformed to the correct size would it be permitted? Would there need to be a light on it? What if it was inside a lanai?
Don't think it would comply where there are non plant ornament restrictions. Does not fall within the permissive clause of the Florida law. However , probably would meet "Holiday exceptions for July 4 th, etc. for limited period , like small flag lawn displays. (JMH guess)

Have not researched this issue deeply!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Don't think it would comply where there are non plant ornament restrictions. Does not fall within the permissive clause of the Florida law. However , probably would meet "Holiday exceptions for July 4 th, etc. for limited period , like small flag lawn displays. (JMH guess)

Have not researched this issue deeply!
Thank-you I was thinking about hanging it on the building. I see many homes with compasses or other ornamental displays in the side of buildings. Do you need to ask for permission?
Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Thank-you I was thinking about hanging it on the building. I see many homes with compasses or other ornamental displays in the side of buildings. Do you need to ask for permission?

The fact it is made of wood would more than likely NOT make it permissible under the state "flag law" and I from what I have been reading on this forum over the last 2 years I highly doubt anything can be "legally" attached to your home where it is visible from the street without permission other than street numbers. I doubt the "but it's a flag" would get you exempt by TV. Of course worse case you can put it up (don't use too many nails!) and see if anyone complains. Lots of people get away with stuff it seems and it certainly wouldn't be a jailable offense but if so I'm sure bail would be reasonable. .
Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
The correct answer is that it depends on where you live in TV. The Covenants and Restrictions are not identical for the entire community. They vary by County, Community Development District, and Unit. You can find a copy of YOURS here: Village Community Development Districts
Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
The fact it is made of wood would more than likely NOT make it permissible under the state "flag law" and I from what I have been reading on this forum over the last 2 years I highly doubt anything can be "legally" attached to your home where it is visible from the street without permission other than street numbers. I doubt the "but it's a flag" would get you exempt by TV. Of course worse case you can put it up (don't use too many nails!) and see if anyone complains. Lots of people get away with stuff it seems and it certainly wouldn't be a jailable offense but if so I'm sure bail would be reasonable. .
Suggest a reading of your deed restrictions. Nothing in mine about decorative hangings.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:42 AM

I read the above Statute and could not find Trump's
Name anywhere in it. Strange that you would say that.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trzolnoski View Post
not strange, during last election...…...they were flying everywhere.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
not strange, during last election...…...they were flying everywhere.
O'Dell -still there Only political flag I have seen . Would have criticized George Washington Flag if I had seen one.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trzolnoski View Post
Not strange -- Drive down O,Dell toward Havana.

I am an Oriole Fan . Same street Oriole Flag from time to time. Also not appropriate.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Suggest a reading of your deed restrictions. Nothing in mine about decorative hangings.
Attached to the side of a house ? Kinda doubt that would fly (no pun intended) if disputed. Aside from local "local" DR's which are specific to ones area aren't there "generic" ones that cover everyone?

I believe that just because every possibility known to mankind is not covered by ones DR there probably are some general rules that apply all over they can find to cover it. I can't imagine them permitting me to cover 12' x 24' area with a huge mural nailed to the side of my house just because it is not specifically excluded any more then they would allow a 2' x 4' wooden flag.

I guess you can take 'em to court but they have dozens of high-priced lawyers on the payroll who could eat anyone up alive.
Closed Thread

Tags
rules, people, enforced, decorations, complain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.