Rules of the ROAD for Bicycles & CARS

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzjr View Post
Share with cars, scooters, pedestrians, motorcycles, skaters, and bicycles. Sumter County just REMOVED 21 Share the Road signs in and around The Villages. They just don't get it.

"Share the Road" signs were replaced with "Bicycle-Friendly Community" signs. Different message, same meaning!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzjr View Post
Do you really think auto registrations pay for all the road maintainence?
Where in my post did I mention paying for road maintenance????????
Old 01-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Gold member

I think what's needed at this time, is a safety commissioner, to post on this thread, with the correct regulations, and to answer everyone's questions. I'm glad I only ride my bike in the neighborhood, and not out on the roads that I need a lot of caution.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Sage

The 2014 Florida Statutes

just in case the safety person does not get the memo
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I know what the law says but to me a bike is not a licensed vehicle and pays nothing to use the roads as does cars, trucks and motorcycles. I would love for the state to require and issue license plates for a fee to bikes since they insist they have the same right as other licensed vehicles. If they want to use our roads then why not pay like all of us do? I have a motorcycle and have to pay a fee just as I do for my car. Why does bicycles get an exemption?
Not sure I understand this,,,

Are you saying because a bicycle does not have to be registered then they have no right to ride a bike on the road,,, just in the grass I take it????????

Then by your own gesture here, we need to make sure all the unregistered golf carts stay off the roads, and so on,, Kidding right????? Them golf carts have no tag and therefor pay not taxes what so ever.

have we gotten this far in society to where this is the biggest issues around. By golly, this is a retirement communty. I would think all you cats would love having all the people out here riding bikes,,, do what ever to enjoy retirement. Heck go out and walk or jog on the MMP or road side,, Oh Snap, we might have to get registration fees and some kind of tag to do that next.

Everyone relax and love the idea of living the dream of retirement, and enjoy this time. This is just me and just saying...
Old 01-08-2015, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW View Post
Not sure I understand this,,,
:
You're right you don't......I'm not talking about using the golf cart lanes, but bikes using the regular lanes on the road, riding side by side at 10 to 15 mph impeding traffic and insisting they should have 3 feet clearance from passing vehicles by law. I can understand the reason for the 3'. When traffic is heavy you can't go into the other lane to pass to give them their 3' so you have to follow them for who knows how long. Seems very inconsiderate of everyone else on the road.
That is why that if they have the right to use that regular traffic lane then they should have to pay for it as do cars, trucks and motorcycles. Why should a bicycle be exempt?.......If everyone else has to pay to use it then why not you?????
Old 01-08-2015, 07:41 PM

Tag fees are by weight so the fee for a bicycle would be so low it wouldn't even cover the cost to process the paperwork much less pay for the plate. I would bet most bicycle owners wouldn't mind paying a couple of dollars to keep the right to use roads.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
You're right you don't......I'm not talking about using the golf cart lanes, but bikes using the regular lanes on the road, riding side by side at 10 to 15 mph impeding traffic and insisting they should have 3 feet clearance from passing vehicles by law. I can understand the reason for the 3'. When traffic is heavy you can't go into the other lane to pass to give them their 3' so you have to follow them for who knows how long. Seems very inconsiderate of everyone else on the road.
That is why that if they have the right to use that regular traffic lane then they should have to pay for it as do cars, trucks and motorcycles. Why should a bicycle be exempt?.......If everyone else has to pay to use it then why not you?????

Road use taxes fall short of the amount needed to offset the damage motor vehicles impose on the roads. The shortfall is made up from general tax revenues which are paid by motorists and cyclists. Since bicycles do an insignificant amount of damage, non-motorists and cyclists are actually the ones being ripped off.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Your proposal would require legislation.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 PM

Be real. Don't you think all those bike riders also own cars. Or do you think they go to Public on bikes.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.