Old 05-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Default Rumor--Design Center Returning

Heard a rumor yesterday that The Villages was going back to
having a design center for new home owners. Does anyone
know if this is true?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Rumor--Design Center Returning

Any replies? Would like to know if it is retroactive?????

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:09 AM
Veteran member

Is there anything new to report on this rumor from a couple months ago? :dontknow:
Old 07-22-2007, 08:20 AM

What's a "design center?" From the comments about it "being for new home owners" and "retroactive" I'm guessing its not what I am thinking of as a regular interior design center.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Platinum member

ouma1938:
The reference goes back to the days in 2004 (or, perhaps, earlier) thru 2006 when there were three ways to buy in TV: pre-owned home, new home and build-your-own-home. The third way was eliminated sometime in 2006. I used this in late 2004 and it was a wonderful experience.
The so-called Design Center was located where Southern Lifestyle's Lake Sumter Landing showroom is now. It was here where I spent several hours each day over a week's time literally selecting everything about my home.
First, building details. Before I even selected my lot, I'd pretty well decided on the floor plan, but I was allowed certain small modifications to it during this selection week and then we concentrated on shingle style and color, stucco or frame, paint colors, etc., etc.
Then, "decorating" details. Floors, cabinets, counters, sinks, stove, fridge, ceiling fans, electric switches (where, serving what, toggle or rocker, lit or unlit), bathroom stuff (single or double sink, tub or shower or combined, toilet type and size) - on and on and on.
After 42 years in what is now a 100-year old house, I had a ball selecting new. And everything was added up as we went along, so by the end of the week I knew exactly how much money I'd spent! (A lot, of course!)
It's a pity that The Developer decided to stop this method of buying. I think it brought a lot of folks here (almost all my neighborhood, for instance) who might not have come otherwise.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:11 PM

I think it has hurt sales. I know I would not buy a new home unless I could pick out what I would like to have in it.............JoAnn
Old 07-23-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks for clearing it up. I think it would have been a good way to move to TV and have things built to our style. Too bad they stopped it. But maybe if the design center is coming back as the rumor says, they are going to try it in a modified form. But, no matter what, I am sure we will find our dream home in TV and get on with living the best part of our lives. All we have too is sell our home here!!!
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:01 PM

We were down in TV last March and our sales lady told us that they are continuing to just build the homes (although the contractors have been splitting their time between building the new homes and building the homes back up for the tornado victim's) and are selling them "as is" with no choices in colors, tile etc. I hadn't heard if they were planning on changing that but it somehow seems to be working for them. Would be nice to have some say in what goes into your home because if we buy a new home we want wood (laminate) floors and would have to pull up the new carpet to do that. Seems like such a shame. But then our sales lady said "Thats what everyone has to do...tailor it to fit you AFTER you buy your already built home!!"
Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Veteran member

We were probably one of the last people who were able to modify our home and select the flooring, counter, etc. I used to call the Design Center "The Street without Joy" rather than the House 0f Dreams because you went in there and came out $100,000 or so poorer but, hey, the house looks great. I was amazed when arrogance and greed shut down the Design Centers. There is absolutely NO ONE that we know who bought after that time that would not have preferred to have selected or individualize their houses. I always thought that The Villages took an excellent business model and screwed it up. This was done in the heyday of selling 500 houses a month before the housing market stumbled. It was a mistake and a lapse in business judgment. They should restore the design center and I will guarantee that sales will pick up.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 PM

It just seems wrong that if we purchase a new home we will have to tear up brand new carpet in order to put down the wood flooring that we want. Maybe if they sell the existing new homes already built and given the housing market they may build the homes to suit.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Platinum member

darbyduff:
One of the stories I heard when they first closed the Street of Dreams was that, over the years, they'd collected "enough" data so that the new homes they'd be building would offer amenities (such as wood floors) in a proportion similar to what folks (like me) had established. Whether that's true or not, I have no clue. BUT, I would urge you to make it abundantly clear to your Villages real estate person (be he/she a Properties of The Villages representative or from some outside firm) that you demand : wood floors. It may limit your choices severely, but it may also find you what you want.
Any one else got any other ideas?
Steve
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 PM

Steve,

Another thing we didn't know. We have seen about 10-15 new homes and every one had carpet. Maybe thats what most people like. We will certainly try your idea.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

When our TV sales person took us around; he asked us to make a wish list and to note what the deal breakers would be. We plan on doing this in our visit this November. If life goes according to plan, we hope to move next year.

I am still struggling with not being able to customize our TV home. It irks me that if I find the ideal home in the ideal location that I would not be able to upgrade or change anything.

I not concerned about downsizing; I think I'm ready for it but I am concerned about having the same amenities in my new home as I enjoy in my present home. The last thing I want to do is take a step down.

I realize that we're buying a life style and that's the more important thing but having a home that's personalized to your tastes and decor is important too.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 AM

You people should stop being so picky. TV is an unbelievable place to live. Disneyland!!! So what if you don't have hardwood floors. We are on our second new home and are going to look at premiers when we get there next week. They won't be perfect either, but life would be incredibly boring if it was perfect. Everytime a new section goes in, they try to incorporate the things that people request the most. Did I happen to mention that we haven't even moved down permanently yet! Just sold our home in New York (thank God), but want to check out premier homes before we move our furniture down.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

;DLOL! When it comes to their homes, people are and should be picky! It's where you spend most of your time whether you are on the golf course, in a club, at Katie Belle's or whereever you are..you always come home. Most people want to be able to choose their house accoutrements. As a matter of fact, when we came we were looking at Premiers when our realtor suggested that we could take a Designer and expand it substantially on a drop-dead gorgeous lot and save a bundle. At the end of the day, we did that and made out like bandits.

If you really want some nice Premiers check out Bridgeport and look at the houses looking at Lake Sumter Landing...they have some nice features.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.