Running Flea Market out of TV Garage

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2016, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Nothing to do with "Florida's Friendliest home town, it's in the deed restrictions.
Bogie, I was speaking with "tongue in cheek", because that expression is so overused.
I agree, it's in our deed restrictions.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Selling an excess item on eBay or through TOTV is one thing. We have all done this. Operating an EBay business is quite different. I know someone, not in TV, that makes a nice profit selling items on eBay. He will shop thrift stores and garage sales to pick up items for resale. His garage is his warehouse. I am sure he is not the only person to figure this out and there are folks here doing the same thing.

The question is can you run a business out of your home. I believe the answer is "no". You signed an agreement stating you would not do this when you purchased your home. May be splitting hairs here, but a business is a business regardless if it is posting items for sale on the TOTV classifieds or on eBay.
Running a barbershop in your garage is a business, storing items to sell on eBay is not.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Running a barbershop in your garage is a business, storing items to sell on eBay is not.
I am sure the IRS would disagree. Someone explain the difference between running a business where you are selling your items through TOTV versus eBay? Same type of business, just a different marketing approach. Still a business....
Old 12-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Platinum member
Default limits

I believe most counties have a limit of how many garage, flea type of sales you can hold on your property. Don't think storing for online sales violates that. What if the offender removes the ads from local boards and then you would not know for sure what they were doing. Seems that there is a dislike of crowding the boards with sale items.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Default Business in home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I am sure the IRS would disagree. Someone explain the difference between running a business where you are selling your items through TOTV versus eBay? Same type of business, just a different marketing approach. Still a business....
Yes you are correct the IRS would consider that a business. It has nothing to do with a business or not in your home when it comes to our deed restrictions. It has to do with traffic coming to your house because the customers are coming to the house to buy or sell or get a service. So an eBay service is allowed but having multiple customers come to your house to look at items for sale may be a problem. But once again it's complaint driven by whoever wants to turn it in.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:23 AM
Email Reported As Spam

don't have a dog in this fight but it would be nice..............

Please someone cite the authority as to what/who can define a business prohibited by deed restrictions to operate vis a vis those businesses allowed. And then please cite the authority and location thereof for reporting violations
Old 12-21-2016, 12:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
don't have a dog in this fight but it would be nice..............

Please someone cite the authority as to what/who can define a business prohibited by deed restrictions to operate vis a vis those businesses allowed. And then please cite the authority and location thereof for reporting violations
Nor do I... However I think I can sum the discussion up, with my apologies to the Traveling Wilburys, "it was on this site I was taught, that in The Villages anything is legal as long as you don't get caught"
Old 12-21-2016, 06:48 PM

If I may ask a question? What about people who are writer's or some other type of artist? I am looking at retiring in a few years (6 yrs 4 mo) and am really interested in The Villages, but would hate to be looking over my shoulder to see if my neighbors were turning me in. ~Alaska
Old 12-21-2016, 07:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetakai View Post
If I may ask a question? What about people who are writer's or some other type of artist? I am looking at retiring in a few years (6 yrs 4 mo) and am really interested in The Villages, but would hate to be looking over my shoulder to see if my neighbors were turning me in. ~Alaska
I think the concern is more about traffic, trash, etc. I know at least two folks that operate a professional business from thier homes. Don't let the issues, comments you might see on this site be a major factor in evaluating The Villages. It is MUCH better!!
Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagerNut View Post
Yes you are correct the IRS would consider that a business. It has nothing to do with a business or not in your home when it comes to our deed restrictions. It has to do with traffic coming to your house because the customers are coming to the house to buy or sell or get a service. So an eBay service is allowed but having multiple customers come to your house to look at items for sale may be a problem. But once again it's complaint driven by whoever wants to turn it in.
That's the way I see it.

I'm sure there are more than a few Villagers who are Independent Contractors of one sort or another, who also have a business license, telecommute and are in essence "operating a business from their home."

As long as there aren't cars lined up all of the time and loading goods from the garage...why would anyone care?

And even if they did, what if someone had 5 or 6 friends a day come to visit them in their cars...would someone have an issue with that too?
Old 12-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Does the "problem" being debated even exist? I thought not.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I don't shop or sell on Ebay. So I've read lately that the average income per home in TV is $95k. Maybe these people are trying to supplement their income because they are not as fortunate as some others. Perhaps it would be better that they don't make a couple extra dollars and stop maintaining the property and then you can have a new issue to nit pick on. I did notice that the original post was a series of questions designed to twist someone's testicles. Just fantastic.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:31 AM

Is there a way to block posts by a particular person? My "new posts" are full of things a certain man has for sale and I don't care to read them. Other items for sale are of some interest but not the ones he is selling. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Gold member

Putting someone on the ignore list will prevent you from seeing the content of their posts, but not the title. So, you will still see the title in new posts.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:17 AM
Sage

It still amazes me how many people do not read the deed restrictions they agreed to live with. If you actually get the hint and read them, you will see the restriction on home businesses clearly stated.

Tags
items, sellers, garage, curious, business

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.