It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2023, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Me too. Although the wife's getting a little annoyed standing out in the porch.
A world record ZINGER. One for the record book.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
I learned in Driver's Ed decades ago to watch any and all who are driving near me and expect that they might do something stupid. So far (fingers crossed) it seems to have worked. BTW, I am particularly vigilant while on my golf cart as we are easy targets for the careless. Best of luck to everyone out there.
Always remember that a Golf Cart has a HIGH center of gravity (more than cars) and keep your seat belt on because in an accident you could roll over !
Old 02-02-2023, 12:55 PM
Default Older Drivers

It's definitely time to get 2 video cams when you drive anywhere and not only in "The Villages". One taping the front and the other taping the back.
We resided in T V from 2009 till 2020 and even though we moved out it seems the bad drivers followed us.
Remember you will still have something to look forward to as when they take your driver's license away you can still drive a golf cart making even more problems on the mogul paths and roadways.
Be safe out there where ever you drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
I’m 79 and I hope I never drive like a lot of people here.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Remember, you are not required to turn on red. Sorry you had to wait. Not.
Sorry, that guy was an idiot. Not.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:47 PM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default The villages have no community travel for seniors. that don't drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Me too. Just got back from Sam's club. Driving down Anna Maria north a nice person in a blue Vibe at 9:35 ran the stop sign at Bokeelia Villas to pull out right in front of me then proceeded at 22 mph. Thanks for that, I really appreciated it. Then, entering the Pinellas/Morse RB, planning to go straight through to Moyer I was in the OUTSIDE lane, when some idiot pulled up alongside me in the left exit to INSIDE lane and proceeded to make the jack@$$ move of taking the first exit. I think your car was brown, but I was too busy avoiding the accident that YOU would have caused. If that was you, you will know it was me by the fact that I was leaning on my horn---not for safety, but to let you know you are a jack@$$. If that was unclear, I followed it up by saluting you. Then at a light waiting to make a right on 466A, there was no one coming, but the next jerk, the only car in front of me, refused to turn on red, so we sat there 3 minutes for absolutely nothing(No, visibility was not an issue at all). All that in the first 3 1/2 miles of the trip.

So yes, I agree, I hope I never drive like that either.
So if you cannot drive you will have to take private transportation which is very expensive. You would think that this amenity would be available, for their senior homeowners but it is not.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
So if you cannot drive you will have to take private transportation which is very expensive. You would think that this amenity would be available, for their senior homeowners but it is not.
I'll bet they have that amenity in Long Island... Good thing you live there, and not in TV...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-02-2023, 10:08 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Me too. Just got back from Sam's club. Driving down Anna Maria north a nice person in a blue Vibe at 9:35 ran the stop sign at Bokeelia Villas to pull out right in front of me then proceeded at 22 mph. Thanks for that, I really appreciated it. Then, entering the Pinellas/Morse RB, planning to go straight through to Moyer I was in the OUTSIDE lane, when some idiot pulled up alongside me in the left exit to INSIDE lane and proceeded to make the jack@$$ move of taking the first exit. I think your car was brown, but I was too busy avoiding the accident that YOU would have caused. If that was you, you will know it was me by the fact that I was leaning on my horn---not for safety, but to let you know you are a jack@$$. If that was unclear, I followed it up by saluting you. Then at a light waiting to make a right on 466A, there was no one coming, but the next jerk, the only car in front of me, refused to turn on red, so we sat there 3 minutes for absolutely nothing(No, visibility was not an issue at all). All that in the first 3 1/2 miles of the trip.

So yes, I agree, I hope I never drive like that either.
We spent 25 years in Driver's Training in Boston area prior to moving into the Villages. In Boston it is fair game to make any move if you catch the other driver's eye for even a second. If the other driver sees you, he is then responsible for any move you make. When arriving at an intersection where you have a stop sign and the crossroad has none, you simply pull in front of an oncoming car to get halfway across, after another quick stop, you then pull in front of the next traffic lane until you make your way across. If you simply wait for a break, you will never get across and you will be considered a rude driver for holding up the traffic. So, the person you are complaining about may have been from Boston and therefore doing everything right. Your salute was likely interpretated as a sign of respect for being such a good driver to keep the flow moving.

The only caution is that pedestrians rule. Simply hold up your hand on the busiest street and start walking, and everything stops, most of the time. When it doesn't work, it is usually when the oncoming car is driven by a person from The Villages, FL who never stop for pedestrians, especially when there is a designated crosswalk.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Three words to remember when driving around Florida and the TV anytime:
Patience, Patience, Patience

Seriously if you value your life, love ones, and keep your insurance low, use patience and you'll be a much happier person and a relax one.
I find complaining doesn't help and you'll you can use your time doing other things. JMTC
Let’s see if you feel the same way after living here let’s say 5 years. Patients are what Golfing Eagles used to see as a Doctor. He’s trying to not create any more patients for The Villages Health Care System.

We’ve moved south of 44. We lived in The Historic Section for about 6 or 7 years. I can say without a doubt that the drivers south of LSL are infinitely worse than the “Old Gang” in the north. We almost got wiped out the first time over the bridge on 44. Should have been a clue when all we could see was eyebrows over the steering wheel in the Golf Cart that was in our lane. I just take it in stride. Whatareyougonnado?
Old 02-05-2023, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
I’m 79 and I hope I never drive like a lot of people here.
My long gone dad taught me to drive. His quote, expect them to do the stupidest possible thing because that is exactly what they will do.

Interesting. Florida won some kind of survey for the worst drivers in the nation.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
We spent 25 years in Driver's Training in Boston area prior to moving into the Villages. In Boston it is fair game to make any move if you catch the other driver's eye for even a second. If the other driver sees you, he is then responsible for any move you make. When arriving at an intersection where you have a stop sign and the crossroad has none, you simply pull in front of an oncoming car to get halfway across, after another quick stop, you then pull in front of the next traffic lane until you make your way across. If you simply wait for a break, you will never get across and you will be considered a rude driver for holding up the traffic. So, the person you are complaining about may have been from Boston and therefore doing everything right. Your salute was likely interpretated as a sign of respect for being such a good driver to keep the flow moving.

The only caution is that pedestrians rule. Simply hold up your hand on the busiest street and start walking, and everything stops, most of the time. When it doesn't work, it is usually when the oncoming car is driven by a person from The Villages, FL who never stop for pedestrians, especially when there is a designated crosswalk.
Spent 25 years in driver training? I don't think you are right. Stop for pedestrians especially when there is a designated cross walk. A pedestrian who steps into the middle of the street, not a cross walk and thinks cars are going to stop IS SIMPLY NOT VERY BRIGHT.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobar View Post
It's definitely time to get 2 video cams when you drive anywhere and not only in "The Villages". One taping the front and the other taping the back.
We resided in T V from 2009 till 2020 and even though we moved out it seems the bad drivers followed us.
Remember you will still have something to look forward to as when they take your driver's license away you can still drive a golf cart making even more problems on the mogul paths and roadways.
Be safe out there where ever you drive.

"We lived in the villages 2009-2020 and even though we moved out it seems the bad drivers followed us."

There is no place where all drivers are safe drivers. You have total control over what you do not what others do. Used to be called defensive driving. You SHOULD be aware of a SAFE CHOICE, should any driver do ?????????

You SHOULD be aware of the driving style of those around you. The same person that
drives right up your butt will be the same driver who will jamb up the traffic in front of yo when he caused a pile up. It is not an ACCIDENT when you CHOOSE to drive STUPIDLY. Are they bright enough to realize the cars they speed to pass etc catch him at the next red light?
Old 02-05-2023, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Not to worry in the near future we will all be driving SAFE self-driving vehicles. And by then MAYBE (?) in the Villages there will be enough lanes for the winter traffic..........MAYBE.
I can hardly wait. Won't be able to blame slow drivers then when you are late for tee time. Have to accept that you can't manage you time. Generic "you", not "you" specific.)
Closed Thread

Tags
people, it’s, lot, drive, hope

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.