Safest city in Florida from Hurricanes

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default Safest city in Florida from Hurricanes

As the hurricane season is almost upon us, I present this information for new residents as seasoned Floridians have experience with this. And the safest city in Florida is Leesburg according to Homeinsurance.com. If The Villages were a city I believe we would be the safest!

Read about it here -> 10 safest Florida cities from hurricanes | WeatherPlus
Old 05-15-2018, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Thanks TwoPlane. Very encouraging info.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
As the hurricane season is almost upon us, I present this information for new residents as seasoned Floridians have experience with this. And the safest city in Florida is Leesburg according to Homeinsurance.com. If The Villages were a city I believe we would be the safest!

Leesburg #1...Ocala #8.

I like my chances...from hurricanes anyway.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

///

Last edited by rustyp; 05-18-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Platinum member
Question Really?

Quote:

The article does not explain the methodology by which the statistics were assembled.

I would lean towards working from history. Tampa has not experienced a direct hurricane hit since 1921. In contrast, Hurricane Irma struck Lake County in September 2017, doing two million dollars worth of damage in Leesburg, and thirty-five million dollars worth of damage in Lake County. The southeast portion of The Villages is in Lake County.

Who has been safer?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:

Naples #7 safer than Ocala #8?? Laughable.

Naples has been hit by core or near core Hurricanes with 100 mph plus winds 57 times in last 125 years. Ocala maybe 12 times. Who writes these articles?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The article does not explain the methodology by which the statistics were assembled.

I would lean towards working from history. Tampa has not experienced a direct hurricane hit since 1921. In contrast, Hurricane Irma struck Lake County in September 2017, doing two million dollars worth of damage in Leesburg, and thirty-five million dollars worth of damage in Lake County. The southeast portion of The Villages is in Lake County.

Who has been safer?
Tampa Bay area rated nation's most vulnerable to hurricane storm surge

With $175 billion in potential losses, Tampa Bay is the most vulnerable metro area in the nation to storm surge floods caused by a once-in-a-century hurricane.
That's the conclusion from a recent study by Karen Clark & Co. (KCC), a Boston-based firm that specializes in modeling the likely property damage and losses from windstorms, earthquakes and other catastrophes for the insurance industry.
Analysts estimate Tampa could suffer higher losses than New Orleans or New York City, the next two most vulnerable cities on the KCC list

Tampa Bay area rated nation's most vulnerable to hurricane storm surge

sooner or later your luck runs out

category-2-higher-jpg
Old 05-15-2018, 10:13 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post

Who has been safer?
the article says "
Still, HomeInsurance.com has ranked Florida’s cities based on their evaluation of NOAA-identified storms from 1965 to October 2014, doling out scores based on the number of storm events, number of storm-related deaths, property damage and storm-related injuries."
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Tampa?

Safe from hurricanes?

P.S. It doesn't take a "direct hit" to cause billions in damages and kill people, especially since the vast majority of property damage and loss of life...is due to storm surge.

Not that Tampa has to worry about that.
Closed Thread

Tags
safest, city, florida, homeinsurance.com, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.